Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

The Saga of 71
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Dana, I know you are only looking out for my best interest. I hope you know that I really appreciate your advice, maybe on occasion we all need a little push to do the right thing. Thank you and all the helpful folks who use this site.

71 will rise from the obsolete!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2059 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
The ole 71 Goblins attacked before the salvage yard engine was even in place.

Removed the heads, just because the existing engine has this set of heads from the hot rod shop, and there was a smidge lower compression on one cylinder in the new engine. So was cleaning the block for new head gaskets and found one cylinder that was clean, no carbon at all, nothing like the other seven that had considerable carbon deposits, thought that was weird, but continued, then found in another cylinder a piston with a chip on the edge all the way down to the top compression ring. So this engine is junk. Called the yard and reluctantly they are going to replace it. We'll see how this goes and just for safety sake if anything seems a bit abnormal about the replacement engine, will pull those heads too.

Had to call and make new arrangements with the tower and truck repair shop, neither of them was happy either, but are willing to wait on the new engine.

Gives me a bit of time to get 71 cleaned out!

Just another 71 day!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2059 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Good thing you pulled those heads. With good even compression it might be ok but for the price of head gaskets it tells a lot about what's inside. Good job, good luck with the next one. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5185 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Got another engine from the salvage yard, all the spark plugs look much better than the other engine did, pretty sure this is a better engine, and it is supposed to only have 22K miles after a rebuild. Pretty dirty outside for that few miles though. No oil leaks, just road grime. The other engine was a Goodwrench rebuild, this one is not, rebuilder unknown and this is not a newer block with a one-piece rear seal.

It had a non-standard, points type distributor with an outside drive rather than a slot, so off came the oil pan and replaced the oil pump drive shaft to one for an HEI stribby! "Ole friend from Tennessee's term" These new one-piece oil pan gaskets are terrific and make that job much easier. This engine has 4 bolt mains.

The tow truck came today and took Ole 71 to the truck repair shop, only 50% more than he quoted, what a deal. Wonder how the truck shop will work out cost and time wise. All to be seen, wish Ole 71 good tidings! A few more checks on the engine than it will also go there, but can move it myself.

Truck engine came with a two-barrel carburetor, off came the intake manifold and replaced from the engine in the Barth. Need to replace the oil, prime and check the pressure in the oil system to finish it up.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Got the oil changed and distributor installed on the replacement engine. Primed the oil system, told the truck guy all is ready, no date to do the job yet. I understand we are a mid-sized city with limited truck repair and a lot of small operator truckers, and they need to have their means of feeding their families before an old guy with a RV. So, waiting for a slow period is ok with me. Just needs to be done a few weeks before the Minnesnowta GTG. need some time to get the creature comforts up and running and make a few test trips.

Well, Ole Man Winter returned today with a vengeance, 4-5 inches of snow, cold and yukky!! Snow will stop today, but still will be colder for a few days.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Our ‘72 22 footer has the 350 GM engine but it is a truck engine with different cam for low end torque performance and different valve springs. You can check the casting numbers and serial number online and see if it came from a car or pickup. An even really needs the truck version.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Computer speller changed rv to even!

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Tom. this new engine is from a heavy truck, I think it might be next up from a P30, I saw the engine before they pulled it. Because it is rebuilt and was in a heavy truck I am pretty sure it has a high torque cam and a fairly low compression ratio, not from a car.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
4 bolt mains is a good start. Hope all goes smoothly and we see you in Minnesnowta.

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5185 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Still waiting on getting the engine swapped out, drove by Saturday, 71 was up on jack stands on a concrete slab near the garage doors. Last week I dropped off the engine, exhaust gaskets and new spark plugs, so assume they are changing engines. Mechanic told me they were going to pull the engine and transmission out from underneath, looks like that is what they are doing. Seems a bit more work to me but then they work on this stuff all the time. Might stop in tomorrow and see the progress.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Went over to the truck repair shop this morning, they have the old engine and transmission out. They called me a few minutes ago, they want to replace the spark plug wires, and motor mounts. The also said the new water pump does not fit my old pullies, told them to use the old one. Ole 71 wants to be a pain to everyone!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
good progress! Good idea to replace motor mounts. There are short and long water pumps. Naturally yours would be different. Hope it goes smoothly.

We are leaving Florida tomorrow. Pushing 90 here for the next few days. Headed to Georgia. We are planning a stop at UBRVRAPE to visit Donna.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Sorry we didn't get over to see the new home. Way too busy for a "retired" guy. Tell Donna hi from both of us and have a safe trip. We won't be making the GTG since my wrench never came down from NY to install the FI system and I don't have a new timeline on that so we'll see you next fall.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
The water issue is pretty weird, went through the long, short and in-between pumps found one the right length, but turns out the pully mount does not fit the 71 pully. Oh well!!!

Today is the last rain free day this week, so my hope is they get it done today, but I have doubts?!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
quote:
the pully mount does not fit the 71 pully

Duane, can you explain that? is the issue that the center hole diameter of the pulley is too small for the centering shaft on the water pump?

Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post