Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

The Saga of 71
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
A bit later than it should have been, but ole 71 ran today for the first time with the new heads!

Just let it run for a minute, have yet to put new coolant in the radiator. The engine is running way faster than it did on 7 cylinders so got a bit of carburetor adjusting to do and the timing is not yet set correctly. But it sounds pretty good. lifters pumped up pretty fast.

Unless something extraordinary happens, will go get some coolant, fill it up and see how well it tunes up tomorrow!

Then maybe those pesky brakes, can be repaired for the 100th time.

Still have the heater, water and generator systems to get running! Must not forget the air ride, pretty sure it is not working as well as it should!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2062 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Sounds like progress Smiler

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 625 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Happy Times!

Smiler

Matt

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Well, it has been a few weeks but have had some work done on my eyes and some personal problems.

The last time I ran the engine I noticed a water leak around the intake manifold area. Had to pull the manifold and one of gaskets was not sealing, might have damaged it during assembly.

Today buttoned up the engine and ran it for a bit. Sounds good! Have to put coolant in it and from my previous mistake's there is a bit of water in the oil, kind of milkshake looking, So need an oil change. Checked the manifold heat, the same on all cylinder outlets so hitting on 8 again!! Hope all goes well and if so perhaps can get back to the brakes and air ride problem.

Would be nice to get in a little trip before the cold weather!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2062 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Progress Smiler You'll have that rascal burning up the asphalt before long Tooling Along

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 625 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Got a bit further along today, coolant in, no leaks! Oil changed, no leaks! Heat on the exhaust manifolds seems equal on all exit points, pretty sure it is hitting on all eight.

Do have a noise, think it is an exhaust leak, but tomorrow, check into it a bit further!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

posted Hide Post
quote:
Do have a noise, think it is an exhaust leak,

I hear ya! I had the valve covers off a few more times, making sure I had all the valves adjusted right. Then the headers came off three times, as I was tracking down the right gasket to use.

Remflex Exhaust Header Gasket Sets 2036

Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Turns out the engine noise, is a bit of engine knock. Advanced the timing a bit and it went away, Whoopie!! Still have to figure out how to correctly set the timing, have had several good ways from folks on here, need to decide!!!

Have another eye surgery tomorrow, so have to wait another week or so before any further advancement. Hope the weather holds for me!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Am actually starting to believe there is a ghost in this Barth.

Shut ole 71 off, thought it was doing pretty well, had another eye surgery so a week went by, today all hell broke loose. It got pretty cold last night around 20F and the coolant had been pretty diluted over the course of the head change, was going to drain out a few gallons and add antifreeze before it got seriously cold.

Started it up to circulate the coolant, first thing no oil pressure, the lifters were not chattering so I think its just the gauge. Then it starts to run awful and backfire I notice there is no liquid fuel in the inline filter, so maybe it is just running real lean.

The last time it pulled this a valve locked up and it got the heads replaced. so gonna put some gas in it tomorrow and look it over, wish me luck!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I think you have a gremlin on board! head bang

Good luck with the next round. Thumbs Up

Have Barth, sitting in the sun Cool

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5189 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe a family of Gremlins Violence

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

posted Hide Post
quote:
ghost in this Barth

Duane88!!!! You have to be positive about the situation. You have a Barth Angel looking out for you. The problem was found at home, not 500 miles from home.

Some people think "Home is where the heart is".

But we also know, "Home is where all my tools and spare parts are!"

You will have happy motoring!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
So believe the reason there was no oil pressure, was when the engine shut down it backfired a bit (still have not timed it correctly) this in turn caused the cam drive to the damn ole stribby to jump up in reverse and disengage from the oil pump drive. Probably did not have the hold down real tight so it could be easily adjusted. Still prefer to believe 71 is haunted!!

Hope we get a bit of reasonable weather so the brake problem can be addressed soon. Still dream about a trip south this winter!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I must say you have come up with some strange variations on that coach. I hope it will settle down and give you some road time!

Down to 20's here in MI now. We are heading south for the winter on Dec 9. Can't wait to get back to warm and sunny!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5189 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Well ole 71 is still running no goblins showing their snarly teeth yet. The weather has been a bit chilly so have not got at the brake repair yet, but my Grandson is going on Christmas break and later this week it is supposed to get into the 40's so perhaps we will get them repaired, or ole 71 will go into storage for the winter.

P30 chassis
350 engine