Tools
Reply To This Topic

The Saga of 71
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Good to hear! I was thinking we might have to have an exorcism. Violence wack Shields Up

Good luck with your latest work. Hoping to see you somewhere next summer. cheers

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5196 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Goblins are no match for perseverance and a positive attitude!

Matt

Posts: 530 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Got under ole 71 today. although it was a bit chilly 36F. Found both back wheel cylinders leaked in the neutral position, guess after 20 years the area the seal sat either corroded or the seal itself needs a bit of pressure to seal. When the pedal is pressed it stays firm, but the master cylinder rear tank drains when just sitting, both rear tires are soaked in brake fluid. Had already replaced both front wheel cylinders and the master they would not function at all, but the back ones seemed ok.

Oh well, grandson is gonna have some time next week and if the cylinders get here, it should be in the 40's another day or two of work and perhaps fully functional brakes at last!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2069 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Thumbs Up sounds like progress Mechanic

Soon Tooling Along

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 625 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Only got one side of the back brake cylinders replaced before the super snow and cold weather set-in two weeks ago. Been sitting in the house watching ole 71 get buried in snow and facing the super cold weather, been between -20 and -10F every night for over a week!

Feel quite sure the goblins will do something awful to 71 before it melts and warms enough for me to get back working on it!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2069 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
We had a couple of moderate days for February, got a bit further along putting the new brake cylinder on the driver's side rear brake. Bought new tires and had them installed on the rear rims, while it is jacked up. Will get the fronts on after the brakes are finished. The tires that were replaced looked great very little wear, but the date code was 1994.

Winter has not been fun, jealous of you snowbirds. Maybe next winter join you at least for a bit!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
1994 tires Eeker

Progress is progress , sounds like it's coming along Smiler

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 625 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Good brakes, good tires. Ready to go!

I am amazed how good some tires look when stored in cool dry places. The northern climates with snow and freezing temperatures seem to keep tires for a long time. I have seen 20 yr old tires that looked fine in winter regions, but in the south with 100 degrees and sunshine, not so much.

Duane we hope to see you back on the road again this summer. Maybe sneak up to Minnesnowta in June!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5196 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Yes Steve, one goal for this spring is to make, the Minnesnowta GTG, hope to bring my grandson and dog along!!!

We shall see how the goblins in ole 71 treat me this year!!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Was just looking at some video of Kenny playing and singing. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Glad work is going well!

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1388 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Got the back brakes, together and functioning. New tires on the rear. Gonna let it set on the jack stands for a day or two just to see if all the brake fluid leaking has been solved.

Ran the engine for a bit seems the goblins did not get to it this time. Do have an exhaust manifold leak. will tighten those bolts while the front tires are being replaced.

That old gas looks like root beer in the fuel filter, being jacked up in the back must have allowed stuff in the tank to wander towards the pick-up tube. Sooner or later that tank will need to be dropped and cleaned, just hate to do it.

Getting close to a longer distance test drive. Make sure ole 71 is set for lots of spring travel!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Well,, I am pretty sure ole 71 Goblins have thrown their final punch at me!

For the last few days have been chasing the reason for backfiring on acceleration and low vacuum at idle maybe 5-8 less Inches of HG than before. Could not identify a vacuum leak in the system or any problem with spark. Thought maybe that old gas was the problem, hooked it to a can of gas and an electric fuel pump...Same/same!!

Pulled off the valve cover, turned the engine over without starting and noticed the intake valves all seemed to open about same, much more than exhaust valves. Closer look reveals some exhaust valves look like they open more than others.

Hardly ran this engine after the head swap, did notice some wear on the lifters while the manifold was off but seemed minor. Can lobes wear that fast?

Now my Delima, new engine, just change the cam and lifters, rebuild this engine totally, Junk yard swap, time to give up and junk 71!!! Just got new tires too!

Junk yard engines in my area run $400 to $700 and I found one that was just rebuilt with 20K miles, the truck was rolled over for $600!

Thoughts???

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I am wondering if you may have some collapsed lifters? If they are empty and bottomed out they may take a while to pump up and give you full valve lift.

I haven't rebuilt a V8 since my 454 in the Regal back in 2012. Parts and labor adds up even if you do the labor. Big project. Not sure what parts go for these days.

A good cheap used engine might be a good start. Swap it in, then rebuild your old one at your leisure if you feel crazy... (Good cheap used engine... yeah, like good cheap Scotch? Good luck with that!) ROTFLMAO

Keep us posted. I will check around, might be a 350 lying around in somebody's garage. hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Steve, pretty sure the lifters were all collapsed, with the adjusting method used they should have all lifted the same amount, I think!

Surprised that there were not a lot of used 350's around, most on Ebay are rebuilt and expensive, not sure they would be right for 71 seem to have high horsepower and compression.

Hopefully a experienced guy can be found that is able to help me replace the engine, not sure an old guy like me is capable of doing that alone. Your thread is a great source for what needs to be done. Because my door is in the front of the coach perhaps it can be reached with my engine crane and make it a bit easier to lift up and move out! Yeah, its 71!!

After a few great days we are back in the deep freeze for a bit but should not last long.

Just went to Rockauto for cam, lifters, chain and sprockets. About $200 getting heavy duty parts.

They had the lift specs for the stock cam, they are pretty close to the same for exhaust and intake. MY observation was the exhaust lifted about 25% of the intake. Geez! now am completely confused, gonna go pull the valve covers again when it warms.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
$200 seems reasonable for those parts.

Considering you had stuck valves and rocker studs loose before, I would not be surprised if some of the lifters are still stuck bottomed out and not getting full lift.

Considering those issues, I would not be surprised if you have some cam wear issues. New cam and lifters makes sense. Chain is good to change also. Lot easier than swapping engine.

I guess many of the old 350s have been reused already. I will check with my favorite old junk yard guy. He used to have piles of engines and trannies the size of a small house!

Good luck Mechanic Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp