Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

The Saga of 71
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Because of the short time to Minnesnowta am just going to get as much working as possible. The water heater was leaking so bypassed it, did replace a copper line, it was split, from the water pump to all the supply lines termination under the bathroom sink. It was copper as are all of the water lines in ole 71, did replace it with Pex. Someone just did not winterize the coach and several lines and the water heater expired. so many leaks repaired many, finally got some pressure in the system and another leak has shown up, under the closet floor, tomorrows job!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2087 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Hey, got some cold water running without leaks in the system, whoopie damn hell!!! Strange, thought the latest leak would be an easy fix, not so!! the line must have frozen several times, the split was small, was just going to cut the line and put a splice in the area. Not so it had actually expanded the whole half inch line to almost 5/8 so no standard fittings would work, had to replace the entire line, so both sides are now PEX.

Been trying the fridge, but so far, no luck, it is in the control logic somewhere cannot get the heating elements to work, and have not put any propane in it yet, Tuesday job!

The leaks have soaked the carpet in several locations, rain today high humidity so not much drying going on, sun for the next few days.

Going to put in the electric fuel pump tomorrow, hope my parts Stach is adequate probably not going to be many places open for parts.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2087 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You are in luck, Duane! The Barth gang takes care of its own. Thanks to Ed, I have a spare 6 gal LP water heater. He pulled it from his coach when he installed an on demand unit. I kept it for a deer camp spare but you just found a proper Barth home for it. I will bring it to you in MN! Should save you many $$$! See you in a few days. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5211 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Steve and Ed come through with a real cost saver, water heater, first money saver on ole 71!!!

Today install the electric fuel pump hopefully!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I found a good reference source for the old Atwood water heaters. About 40 pages. I put it in the Ads, Docs,
Schematics, etc Forum. Yours is a GH6-7E.

Here is a link:

http://barthmobile.com/groupee...r-Service-Manual.pdf

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5211 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Drove ole 71 around town and on the highway for about two hours yesterday, ran well, ready for Minnesnowta road wise. The exhaust system is a bit loud and there never was a cruise control, so it is going to be quite a trip. My dog does not like the noise and spent his time hiding on the back bench, not so sure he would enjoy the trip north.

Another water leak developed, will chase that down today. The sheet metal guy finally got the piece made to repair the side gouge that is now covered with a thin aluminum temporary sheet. Will not get that fixed before Minnesnowta.

Have not figured out how the fridge works, hope to solicit some expert help in Springfield to get that going.

Give 71 a cleanup inside, check the tire air, put the hub caps on, load it up and off to the northland!!!

Grandson is on a break from summer college and is going to help me a bit this weekend and join us in Minnesnowta, perhaps we can get the bumpers painted too.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Put the spare dash in last night before the rain so I wouldn’t forget. I held onto the other parts for years nobody wanted. Finally went to the scrap yard with a load. I’ll take one more look around to see if there’s anything still hanging out.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1413 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Well ole 71 made the 900+ mile round trip!

There was one incident, the entire exhaust system separated at the manifold joints, welds broke. Dana said they heard me pass the park before they saw me.

There is an exhaust repair shop, Exhaust Pro, known to the local by lots of other names, but the fact is they fixed the system in an afternoon, at reasonable price, very nice job too! Thanks!! Must mention, my junk yard engine was a great find, no oil burned, and it runs like a champ!

Came across a NAPA store that was a former ace hardware, place was like a museum, inventory current to back to who knows when, fellow could spend a week in there looking at stuff, what a joy!!

My little transmission leak needed 8 quarts of fluid to complete the trip, so off to the transmission shop tomorrow. The gearing is a bit high takes about 3200 RPM to run at 65 MPH, seems a bit high to me, anyone have an opinion?

Gas milage was not as good as hoped, maybe 7mpg +/- a bit and the accelerator pump in the carburetor was not working so acceleration was a bit sketchy.

All in all a successful first trip and the GTG was a great time!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good run!

Glad you got the exhaust done. Ed said it is nice and quiet now. Thumbs Up

Sounds like the engine is a keeper!

My 454 33ft Regal ran 60mph @ 3000rpm. 70 mph was about 3500rpm. Your gearing must be similar. After tweaking and fuel injection I was getting 8 mpg at 60 mph. A nice 480LE 4 sp trans with overdrive would have been great. Hope your trans leak is minor. Good luck

Keep up the good work! Your coach is coming along nicely. I will try to get that water heater to you when I can. Hope to see you again soon.

Have Barth, will travel, usually Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Duane88!
I am glad to hear of your victories!

RPM sounds similar to my rig as well, that is why some guys install the Doug Nash Engineering overdrive unit, and also why GM developed the 4L85E overdrive transmission.

Regarding your Quadrajet and the accelerator pump..... Run the engine, and turn it off. Get the air cleaner off, and look down the carburetor. If you were work the throttle lever on the carburetor, would you not see gasoline squirting down the primary bores? [that is probably a dangerous activity risking a blow back of flames, though it has never happened to me]

I'm wondering instead about the spark advance. When you stomp the throttle, the engine vacuum is gone, and the spark timing might be off.

Your MPG sounds OK, the ethanol fuel energy content issues show up notably when vehicles weigh as much as ours!

Happy Motoring,
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 538 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Hey Matt, no squirt when pumping the accelerator, noticed that during my recent trip....

Went over to see the Transmision folks, he was pretty sure when they changed the engine, they damaged the front seal being 50 years old. Pull the transmission, while its out he said put in a new pump and if there is material in the pan replace the clutches! Going to do the job next week.

Had this done to my old Winnebago maybe 10/12 years ago, $800 real curious how much in today's world!!

Got the replacement side panel almost installed, looks much better than the thin temporary piece put on for the trip.
Gotta find a better paint match than that on the front engine panel.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Making progress! Thumbs Up

After a few engine swaps, I learned to always change the trans torque convertor seal. When the engine is out the torque convertor can hang down a bit. That and the age and we often had leaks there. hmm

When the engine is out all you have to do is pull the convertor out (messy!) and the seal is right there. Way cheaper to change then. I should have mentioned it earlier, sorry.

Hoping there are no other trans issues. good luck!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Duane. Of course I heard you when you came. But after when you brought back from getting the exhaust fixed I listened and things sounded good. I listened when you left also. Again sounded good. Just my observation!

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1413 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
quote:
no squirt when pumping the accelerator

perhaps it is an original accelerator pump.... The rebuild kits now say the accelerator pump is tolerant of ethanol fuels.

Are you going to get the carburetor rebuilt?

Happy motoring!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 538 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
The carb has well under 100 hours and only clean fuel, with EtOH as indicated for the engine. My guess is the acceleration passages are compromised by old fuel. Under best circumstances back flushing might clear the passages to the jets.

Posts: 1069 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post