Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

The Saga of 71
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Well some progress from the truck repair shop! They have the engine back in, they had to put it in from the dog house, not from the bottom like they removed it. They indicate they will put the transmission and drive shaft back in today too!

Matt: I forgot to ask about the water pump and pully, will later today when I go to check on the progress.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2064 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Some good news about ole 71. The new engine runs really good, although not able to really check it out yet, the oil pressure, vacuum, and alternator are doing their job.

The story on getting this far along, is very typical ole 71.

Yesterday went over to the repair shop and they were not working on it, but when he saw me he vowed to put someone on it right away, turns out he got a young guy who had only worked on diesel engines and only for a short time. The boss did help him and they had the stribie, and plug wires in place when I returned and were just going to try and start it up!!

After a few cranks and starting fuel sprays, it fluttered and barked, back fired and did all the stuff it could think of to piss us off. Finally it started and ran for a couple of seconds, did this for several minutes.

The Boss was convinced it was fuel problem, installed an electric fuel pump. same-same. stripped the top off the carburetor the fuel was clean and the float bowl was full, it was working fine.

The Boss said he had go to take care of business, but he let me take over and keep the young fellow. Surprised me!!

The thing just kept running and shutting down, I thought maybe when they changed the engine somehow and it got back to the old points system of 12 volts when the starter was engaged and 9 after starting. So I got the guy a jump wire direct to the battery and HEI. Bingo!!! Started right up!!

After getting a volt meter, determined the only time 12 volts were getting to the HEI was when the starter was going otherwise it was 1.8 volts not nine. Also the starter was not disengaging until after the engine ran for 30 seconds or so!

It was closing time, so the young guy had to clean up his tools and we had to stop. WE chatted a bit and thought maybe the wiring on the starter was shorting out, I would go buy a new mini-starter and resume work Monday.

I got the new starter and when I got home, still trying to figure out the problem. Perhaps the problem is just wires switched on the starter, if power was being picked up there and taken though the ignition switch for the HEI and then to solenoid coil for starting and they were switched. Turning the starter switch off, would turn the solenoid into a big resistor supplying power to the HEI. Might convert 12 volts to 1.8....

Mondays problem!!!

Pretty sure one way or another this is going to work, so going make my Minnesnowta reservations!!!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2064 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the old cars 12 volts from the ignition switch goes to a "ballast resistor" and then to the coil. This ballast resistor Is jumped by the ignition switch when in the start position. find the ballast resistor and simply jumper across it and all will be fine. The resistor is there because the 12 volt coils were actually 8 volt. john

Posts: 82 | Location: golden valley, az | Member Since: 02-05-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by john canning:
In the old cars 12 volts from the ignition switch goes to a "ballast resistor" and then to the coil. This ballast resistor Is jumped by the ignition switch when in the start position. find the ballast resistor and simply jumper across it and all will be fine. The resistor is there because the 12 volt coils were actually 8 volt. john[/QUOT, E]

Thanks John, the PO converted 71 to a HEI distributor (aka, Stribbie), it is really impossible for me to get under the dash on the drivers side (Old Age) and figure out how they eliminated the voltage change for the HEI, but prior to the new engine there was 12 volts all the time. Will have the truck guy take a look if he can, he is a pretty big fellow. Might use mirrors!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
quote:
the starter was not disengaging

You need a Chevrolet starter shim kit. The kit is the same for small block and big block Chevrolet engines. They are $10-15 and I am sure your NAPA parts guy can find them blindfolded.

Typical:
https://www.summitracing.com/p...20310/make/chevrolet

It's nice to see that they include bolts on these now. After 40 or 50 years, the bolts we have might have lasted beyond their service life!

You got this!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 529 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post