Forums    Barth Rallies and Get Togethers    2009 Nation's Capital Barthmobile G-T-G 10/9-10/12
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 35
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

2009 Nation's Capital Barthmobile G-T-G 10/9-10/12
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
If I didn't know better, I'd say you're runnin' for President ! Roll Eyes
You can't say I'm not trying to "get in the mood" for this event!

I really would like to meet all of you... And that my friend, is the truth! Smiler

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Today’s History TidBit: What FDR Really Wanted, and What FDR Finally Got……..

Franklin D. Roosevelt is our only President to have TWO memorials in his honor located in the National Mall area……One according to his wishes and the other because Congress and national sentiment thought otherwise…….

In 1941, FDR and his good friend Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter were discussing what FDR might like to have as a memorial. FDR replied that if he were to have a monument in Washington, it should be in "in that little grassy area" in front of the National Archives Building and it should be a simple, unadorned piece of stone “about the size of my desk.”

In 1965, twenty years after his death, a 7’x 3’ x 4’ piece of white marble was placed on the designated spot by a group of anonymous friends, whose names are sealed into the base. The simple plaque reads: “In Memory of Franklin Roosevelt 1882-1945”.

Contrary to FDR’s wishes, Congress spent the next 50 years designing another memorial to him, finally opened and dedicated in 1997. Located between the Potomac River and the Tidal Basin, and at 7-1/2 acres, it’s the largest memorial on the National Mall. Complete with many life-size bronze sculptures (even Fala the dog!), it has four main open-air granite rooms, several waterfalls, fountains and reflecting pools. A couple hours spent here, pondering the engraved quotations, will give you great insight of those turbulent days.

Sidebar Anecdotes: Because so many different groups & interests were involved in the design, a couple Faux Pas……In light of FDR’s personal struggles, great emphasis was place on Americans with special needs. Several of his quotations were engraved in Braille on the stone walls….Unfortunately, they were placed too high on the wall for anyone to actually “read” them with their fingers. Also, the architects designed the pools, waterfalls & fountains to be inter-active, encouraging visitors to use them as a cool and relaxing place to sit, splash & reflect. Government lawyers, concerned about liability, forced the National Park Service to prohibit any activity other than simple viewing shortly after the memorial was opened to the public.

….And you can visit BOTH sites during the 2009 Barth DC-GTG, Oct. 9-12, 2009 !!

(From the FDR Memorial, you’re less than a 15 minute walk to: Lincoln Memorial,
Jefferson Memorial, Korean War Memorial, VietNam Veterans Memorial & more!)

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Just to show that we are committed we asked for spot 1415. We'll see what happens. Tom

Posts: 257 | Location: Carolina Shores Nc | Member Since: 12-12-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
That's GREAT Tom!......You're #10 on the sign-up sheet, we've got 3 more on-deck and over 11 months to go.....Looks like filling-up Badlands Gulch with 24 Barths is an achievable goal....
2009 will mark the 40th anniversary of the Barth motorhome - we gotta do this up right!

Reminder: Only $25.00 gets you a reserved site, fully refundable until 48 hrs before your first scheduled day! www.cherryhillpark.com

For Trip-Tips: www.DCBarthRally.blogspot.com

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
OK, now I don't have a chance at furthest traveled or oldest coach, now I want to see somebody bump me off for "only Euro". I know there's at least 4 or 5 other glassnoses out there, so maybe we can win the "obscure" award if not too many MCC's show up, but if the Iveco from England shows up, we're all done in! What a rally that would be!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
don't have a chance at furthest traveled or oldest coach

Did we mention that Oldest Coach Award comes with a year's supply of free fuel?........

And Oh, by the way, I have a '78...and as it looks so far, I'm leader of the pack Big Grin

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Not if I bring my 1975 lol

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Ya know Mary, the very second I hit the Post Now button I thought of you, looked up your vintage (Your Barth - Not you...), and realized I could be in jeopardy regarding the oldest coach at the G-T-G.....But if you can make it, I'll gladly give up the title and the year's free gas !!

P.S.....About that free gas thing?...Well, I just made that up Frowner

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Let's see....1493 views of this thread to date Smiler, 13 Barth's committed so far ROTFLMAO, 3 of them that still need to reserve their spot on "Barth Row" Confused, a $25 refundable deposit to get on board Big Grin, a great place to hold a Barth GTG Cool, all kinds of challenges and rewards being offered Razzer and your still just thinking about it Roll Eyes? Well, don't be caught Sleeping! Worse then that, don't be the person thinking "I should have been there" Mad!!! Make your reservation NOW Click!!!
Bruce

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Lee, no need to worry about Vintage Lady showing up at the GTG. If I get to come I will fly to D.C. and stay in a cabin. My friend Doug will pick me up at the airport and deliver me to the campground.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
P.S.....About that free gas thing?...Well, I just made that up Frowner

Lee, I have an idea. Click How about you furnishing a years worth of fuel to the person that shows up with the shiniest Barth.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
a years worth of fuel to the person that shows up with the shiniest Barth.

...A stroke of brilliance Nick!....

But I gotta tell ya, if I hit the Powerball before next October, I'll be showing up with an Imron paint job....five colors, and enough Swoopty-Doo graphics that you guys will probably exile me to the Fleetwood section of the campground Razzer

Polishin' is a young man's game........

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Mary, say it ain't so. What would a GTG be without your Command Center?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Well--I have asked for spot 1414, Janice said that all they could do was take the request so maybe I wasn't talking to the right person, but that spot appears that no one has yet and if there is some way to reserve it, let me know.

Anyway, we are far enough along with our planning to book the res so we are ON!

Connect the dots!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Good Show Ed !!......We're 45% to our goal of filling-up Badlands Gulch, with over 11 months to go. (Maybe Bill can create one of those thermometer-like signs that they use for the local blood drives Wink

Another couple CA machines, pick-up a few more in fly-over country on the way, and we've got ourselves a convoy!....

Don't quite understand Cherry Hill's reluctance to
firm-up spots yet, but Janice keeps telling me not-to-worry...it'll all come together later down the road. We might even decide to swap among ourselves, based on size, etc. The whole street is 50a/w/s, so not really an issue......