Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1970 barth survives trip
 Login now/Join our community

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I have seen a patio awning unroll & flap in the slipstream while the arms were secure at the top. It was a long time ago, & I haven't the foggiest notion what brand it was.

On the other hand, on the way home with our Barth right after we bought it, coming down out of the Siskiyous, the forward arm came adrift at the top & fell down on the roadway. Scared the pants off us, I thought we'd blown a tire. But the positive latch at the front of the awning roller kept it from unrolling.

Zip Dee window awnings don't have a positive latch built into the roller, as their patio awnings do, & they come with a manual latch that Zip Dee advises be installed to prevent them from unrolling in the slipstream.

I tend toward a belt & suspenders approach, & when I installed my window awnings, I bought a manual larch for the existing patio awning as well, just in case I someday failed to be sure the locking pawl was engaged when I put the awning away. Sometimes I had to jiggle the roller several times to get the pawl to line up & engage. It would be easy to miss that step if one were in a hurry.

Such a possibility might apply to other brands as well.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
So if the zippy holds, and the complete awning assembly doesn't part company with the coach, how could the awning possibly unfurl?

The only way the awning can unroll, under any conditions is for the ratchet to release or fail. If the ratchet does not hold it, a side wind can get underneath it and unroll it. As it starts to unroll, it catches more and more wind, and unrolls more willingly. Have you ever seen a big jib on a cutter-rigged boat when the roller reefing unfurled it in a high wind? Or an old parachute opening from a 1960s sport sleeve? Pretty much the same thing. Try to visualize a big pocket of air filling the awning as it unrolls. The arms can't go out, so the pocket just forms above the area between the roller and the coach. Once it opens up just a little, ram air then helps fill it and complete the inflation. All it takes is a strong gust to get it started.

This can be demonstrated at home by tying the arms and releasing the ratchet, putting it either in mid position or unroll position. Then, you can unroll the awning by turning the roller with your hand. So, also, can the wind unroll it by blowing underneath the roller into the narrow of awning that can catch the wind.

I must emphasize that this can only happen if the ratchet releases itself or fails.

Think about it...... it the arms were not secured, the exact same thing would have to happen for the wind to unroll the awning. I will say, however, that with unsecured arms, the inflation would probably be quicker and more dramatic. And, probably, securing the arms could help prevent unrolling from lighter winds.

I lock my awning, but I have often thought about a strip running along the body just underneath the roller to prevent a gust from getting up between and blowing up on the awning canvas.

I have also thought about putting a front end cap on the back so there would be two ratchets preventing the awning from unrolling.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I finally get what you mean. You're talking about the awning unfurling in the upright position, not dropping down and out like I was thinking. Point taken, and thanks for giving me another thing to check before hitting the road each time.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Matt Mila
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I also have a 1970in real good shape but not that nice.
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
What a real nice coach you guys have there... I'm sure I speak for most when I say that I am a teeny bit jealous. Wink

You truly do have a nice coach Thumbs Up

I know exactly how you feel! cheers

Posts: 3 | Location: Texarkana, Tx | Member Since: 01-24-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of RichieC
posted Hide Post
That really is a beautiful coach. And I especially like the bathroom. Way cooler than mine. Thumbs Up

Posts: 150 | Location: Nanaimo, B.C. | Member Since: 04-12-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vdubnut
posted Hide Post
Fantastic Barth!

Very Similar floor plan to my 73, same bathroom, twin beds, dining, kitchen. Only differences I see are the roof air, trunk, and front bunk.

I am already using yours as inspiration to what mine can be! (mine is a bit more roughSmiler

-Mike

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
1973 25 Foot
P30 Chevy with 454
73021247MC25
Follow My blog
http://73Barth.blogspot.com

Posts: 39 | Location: Bellevue, WA | Member Since: 01-14-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
I don't think I have ever seen a vintage coach with such perfect aluminum skin. Someone really loved their Barth. You've got a winner there!

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
That one's a keeper. If ever there is was "surviver" Barth, yours is it. The museum is gonna want it as a donation you know.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com11/10
Picture of Bill & Sonja
posted Hide Post
A neighbour of mine took delivery of a new factory ordered class C Barth in the early 70's (can't remember the year) and this is how it looked. You have one beautiful, as new, Barth there. Congratulations! What a find!

1987 Newell ~ 40ft Widebody
2x f/o's: 1988 Barth - 33 Ft. SE tag axle & 1976 Barth - 24 Ft.

Posts: 115 | Location: Calgary - Alberta & B.C., Canada | Member Since: 09-17-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Steve & Danel,
I couldn't agree more with the folks here...what a beautiful find. I have been so impressed I have been showing anyone around my computer this neat 1970 Barth.
It also testifies that Barth DOES build a GREAT coach that can endure time.
Congrats and enjoy the Barth Ownership trip!
Ooooop's...I just realized that this thread is over a year old. So you guys have enjoyed the use of the Barth for a year. Any input on that???

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post