Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Barth Owner
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted
Hello,
My wife and I just purchased our first Motor-home and it just so happened to be a 1990 Barth 28' Regal model. My wife saw this unit setting at a Avion factory service shop (Cayo) here in Watervliet MI. and came home and told me she found the perfect motor-home for us. Being a skeptic I said yea right, went and looked at it and then said their going to want to much for it. I thought man this motor-home looks nice, full size bus, looked newer than a 1990.

The interior is excellent, beautiful wood cabinets, new fridge, the owner of the motor-home is also the owner of the business. He purchased this unit for himself owned it for two years and only used it once. He swapped out the chairs and table with a dinette set, he thought everything worked fine and would stand behind the sale. So needless to say we bought the motor-home.

The motor-home drives like a giant Cadillac, it's really fun to drive. However I think a backup camera would be a great addition. The 454 runs great, transmission shifts smooth. We are the fourth owner of the motor-home, previous owners lived in Connecticut and Florida. So she's been around the block.

Since owning it I had to put a new set of tires on the rear. I noticed one tire had lost air and was off the rim, pulled the tire off and took it to a shop to set the bead "which I couldn't do" and in the process of inflating the tire the side wall blew out exposing the steel belts which appeared to be rusty, cheap China tires. So I took all four up to Camping World and got a new set of Goodyear tires.

I also replaced the gas fill tube which was leaking at the tank, oil and vacuum pressure gauges erratic display. Broken sending unit on the oil gauge. Three electrical receptacles didn't work, two outside and bath, I found a plastic quick connect behind the electrical panel broke actually the wire was broke in the connector not the connector, so I replaced the connector with wire nuts and tape.

Installed new digital radio and front TV.

I am going to try to send pictures of the Barth. I think one of the greatest advantage of buying this Barth is this great website you guys have here, I've been on it and learned allot from it.

Looking forward to many years of happy motor-homing, with this great coach!

Thanks,
Tom & Loraine

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of RichieC
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom and Loraine, and welcome to the site. Smiler
Richard

Posts: 150 | Location: Nanaimo, B.C. | Member Since: 04-12-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Hello, welcome to our little corner of the web. Looking forward to seeing some pics. If you're having problems posting them, shoot em to bill_ny@barthmobile.com and I'll get em up for you.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Tom and Loraine, welcome to site. This site is a great source of info, and Great members. Have you sent Nick your data tag info yet? Consider the Millford II GTG next June. Come down for weekend if you cant make it all 4 days.

Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forums! The longer you own the coach, the more impressed you'll be.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I love it when new owners say hi... Great to have you here.
quote:
Bill,

Here are the pictures of our new Barth... Looking forward to being part of the Barth family.

Thanks,
Tom

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Welcome Tom & Loraine,
tom from what I hear you have the first statistical hurdle behind you & that is that the wife saidsaid "she found the perfect motor-home for us".

Now the second hurdle will be to learn everything you can about what you have but that is really half the fun!! This is the best resource guide there is & everyone is interested in what you have going on & they want to help you figure it out.

You had mentioned tires in your post you may want to go here http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...693997757#1693997757 to get acquainted with what the experts say about tires.

Tere

BTW We love pictures here. Especially what you found wrong 'click' then how you fixed it 'click'. Then what you used to fix it 'click'. Etc. Etc. Etc. 'click'-that's the sound of a picture being taken Smiler

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
You sound like just the right kind of people to own an older, quality coach as you seem unafraid to roll your sleeves up and get into it. From the pictures, it looks like a machine that has been well kept, but we all know there will always be something on your "To do" list once you oven a Class A RV.

Congrats and good luck!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, thanks to Bill for posting my pictures, I will work on posting pictures threw photobucket. We definitely plan on making the Millford GTG. Thanks for the tire link now I can check the age of my front tires which are Goodyear.

For some reason the service tech at Camping World couldn't read the tire date code on the China tires. I don't know but glad they are off.

I do have a to-do list for the Barth, the generator compartment needs work. The generator leans a bit, I ran some Sea Foam threw the generator because she was chugging a bit, and now it's really smooth. I'll send pictures of the generator compartment. Also need to work on the 1" square tubing that frames the storage compartments, quite a bit of rust that needs to be cleaned up and coated. I bought a product called Rust Bullet snd I'm going to use that.

I need to send a picture of the gas peddle, the peddle has a switch that is not connected and I think I read form another post that it is there so you can't start the engine without your foot on the peddle.

I'll also send pictures of the connector that was the cause of my 120 volt outlets not to work. I would think that other owners have had this problem because they are designed with sharp edges that makes contact with a solid copper wire. And over time with movement the wire can break.

We haven't offically taken her out on a voyage yet, just test drives here and there and one overnight stay at Walmart haha. Well we did get some shopping done while there. Getting excited about taking her out on a real trip. Going to hit a few Michigan State Parks and from there who Knows!

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also need to work on the 1" square tubing that frames the storage compartments, quite a bit of rust that needs to be cleaned up and coated. I bought a product called Rust Bullet snd I'm going to use that.

I'm guessing that rust bullet is a lot like many of the rust transformers on the market. These are excellent for surface rust, but you might be cautious with hollow tube steel. I would evaluate if you have an internal rust issue with the box steel tube. If so, fixing the outside will be a mostly wasted effort. If the tubes are rusting out, it is worthwhile cutting the bad sections out, welding in new, then use a good epoxy primer and paint for long life.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought about replacing some of the steel, however most of the rust is superfical and for now I'm going to coat it, so I don't have to look at the rust. Down the road I will have to replace whats needed and I agree that is the best option for longevity but that will need to be a winter project.

I just wonder if the rust was caused by sea spray, this coach spent allot of time in Florida, don't know exactly where. My Parents retired to Panama City Beach and my dad always said wash your car or the salt in the sea spray will rust it faster than a Michigan winter. Don't know if this is true or not but I washed my car!

Thanks for the advice!

posted Hide Post
quote:
My Parents retired to Panama City Beach and my dad always said wash your car or the salt in the sea spray will rust it faster than a Michigan winter. Don't know if this is true or not but I washed my car!

It's possible for areas right on the coast that have a lot of surf , but for the majority of Florida it doesn't hold true at all. I still see Pintos and K Cars driving around down here!!

Picture of Jeff H
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Barth, Congratulations. Love the GSD, I have raised shepherds for years, wonderful dogs. Enjoy the ride.

Posts: 30 | Location: Oklahoma | Member Since: 01-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff H:
Beautiful Barth, Congratulations. Love the GSD, I have raised shepherds for years, wonderful dogs. Enjoy the ride.

Thanks Jeff,

I have two shepherds and the one in the picture is Rudy and he thinks I bought the Motorhome for him. He has actually spent more time in it than I have. They do make the best companions.

posted Hide Post
Wow what a grand welcome from everyone. This is "the wife" of Tom!! We are both very excited to be new Barth owners. When I saw this unit for sale I never dreamed we would own it. I only have one complaint and I need help from you other Barth owners ... How do I get my husband to stop working on his new Barth and finish my laundry room???? LOL

Thanks,
Loraine