Forums    General Discussions    Favorite Barth!!
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Favorite Barth!!
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
Geeeze, Dave
Red wine is served at room temperture.. unless you're a thirsty enlisted scum, and need ice.... As far as Lake Superior.. Well, I really don't know how to explain the difference to a Fjord if you haven't seen one. Forget the birch trees and the rest of that stuff.. Imagine 45 degree forests of fir/pine going straight into the sea, it's a thousand feet deep and the ship you are on has a hundred feet or less clearance on either side. I hate to sound condensending, but my back yard is nicer than your pictures of Lake Superior.. and where Neil lives on the Shunshine Coast is really spectacular! Hey Dave, You want a nice campgrond, try my front yard.. special deal to you and Deb..FREE! Hell, I'll even freeze some red wine for you.
Cheers, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
I'd like to differ with you slightly on the red wine issue, John. Here in Canada's "Napa Valley" the wineries reccommend serving reds at around 10-13 Celcius. To me it really does taste better slightly chilled than at room temp. Unfortunately due to Canadian taxes you'll have slim pickins at less than about $12. a bottle. We make our own at the "ubrewit" for about $3. Biggest prob is getting far enough ahead to let it age for more than 4-5 mo.!!
Dave. Great pics in your post! We did the Lake Superior Circle Tour last July in the SoB. Highlights where Copper Harbor Mich and Duluth. We had a great time. We didn't get to Sleeping Giant but did enjoy Rossport, Rainbow Falls, Lake Superior Prov. Parks, Kakabeka Falls and the Ouimet Canyon. We are headed that way again this July, for a wedding in Thunder Bay. Amazingly beautiful landscape.
Cheers,
Don
quote:
Originally posted by John & Irene:
Geeeze, Dave
Red wine is served at room temperture.. unless you're a thirsty enlisted scum, and need ice.... As far as Lake Superior.. Well, I really don't know how to explain the difference to a Fjord if you haven't seen one. Forget the birch trees and the rest of that stuff.. Imagine 45 degree forests of fir/pine going straight into the sea, it's a thousand feet deep and the ship you are on has a hundred feet or less clearance on either side. I hate to sound condensending, but my back yard is nicer than your pictures of Lake Superior.. and where Neil lives on the Shunshine Coast is really spectacular! Hey Dave, You want a nice campgrond, try my front yard.. special deal to you and Deb..FREE! Hell, I'll even freeze some red wine for you.
Cheers, John

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
John,
Friend of mine has a couple of Vincents. Series C Shadow and a Comet. Did you know Bert Weitz who passed away about a 18 mo ago? He was another longtime VOC member I new quite well thru different vintage mc club events.
You would really like our Vintage MC club rally every Father's Day weekend. Usually 800 plus old bikes,-mainly British. Been running Royal Enfields for eons myself. Now only one, tho, a "last of the best" 1970 750 Interceptor. As well as a couple of dozen Triumphs and BSAs over the years.
Riding season and camping season are on the way!
Cheers,
Don
quote:
Originally posted by John & Irene:
Neil,
The Vincent Rally at Douglas Bay (this could have been a name given to the property that my friend Tim's wifes' family owned 10 mi. south of Powell River) was for English motorcycles of that brand, but the guy putting it on(Tim Cameron) died of cancer in about 1990. The Sunshine Coast is as good as it gets in North America.... if it isn't pissing down rain. It is as close to the Fjords of Norway as you can get (my favorite places, when it's warm)... one should be sure to take in the ferry trip to Comax, STUNNING!!! Irene is a Brit and has a 90 yr. old Uncle and Aunt in White Rock and a cousin in White horse and a second cousin in Inverness so we're up there a lot. Wanna trade passports? Ha, 'thought that'd call your bluff ;-) Hey Hoser, Buy that 1987 32 footer that is on this list if you want a Barth... It's a steal!
Whoops..... had to add this.. Dave, Red Wine is chilled with ice, not refridgerated . just don't tell any one you put it in the Ice box and I wont either.. OK Buddy?
Cheers, John

[This message has been edited by John & Irene (edited March 25, 2005).]

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Boys, boys, John's back yard is beautiful - when the fog lifts enough to see clear to the end (the free camping in front is great any time, however - wet or dry), Lake Superior's beautiful too - when the black flies aren't biting. There's enough beauty in both places for everybody.

I have to agree about the beauty of the Sunshine Coast. In years past we cruised it extensively. Up Jervis Inlet to Princess Louisa - one of the world's most spectacular sights, to the Harmony Islands where a waterfall drops a thousand feet or so down a sheer rock face, and the sun-warmed water caught in a rock pool at the foot makes a fine Roman bath.

Through the Skookumchuck to the end of Sechelt Inlet. Skookumchuck is a narrows that fills and empties the vast area of Sechelt Inlet and its arms. Ebb or flood, on a spring tide it roars like Niagara. Navigable only at slack water, it still boils and swirls and gives the helmsman a lot of exercise.

Further up into Desolation Sound, exploring the bays and inlets and islands, fishing, anchoring up with friends, enjoying the stillness you only find in the absence of civilization.

On the matter of ice in red wine, remember John, many a junior has enhanced his career and his fitness report by following his skipper's lead. In the wardroom, if the skipper has ice in his red wine, everybody has ice in their red wine.

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited March 26, 2005).]

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To Chill or not to Chill?

That is the question! Any cheap wine will taste better if it is cold. Good red wines should be in the mid to high 60's for best flavor. If the wine is not quite so fine a little chilling will soften the flavors (or numb the taste buds).

But as one wine book said "Drink what you like, with the food you like and how you like it." It does not matter how good it is if your not enjoying the wine.

And reality is that all wine taste better when your on vacation! Preferably in the Barth? Some day I will be there.

jl

Posts: 37 | Location: Salem, Oregon, USA | Member Since: 06-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
To continue the cheap wine discussion...... sometimes breathing really helps, too. Sometimes a cheap wine at room temp that has time to breathe tastes better than a sample from the same bottle (jug, box?) fresh out of the fridge. YRMV.

We have not had much luck with two buck Chuck, though. We spend the extra buck and are happier with several. Going to a hot tub party today for more research.

Anyone like hot spiced wine?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don,
Yes, I knew Bert well . Last time I saw him was at Bismarck, ND. Irene and I had dinner with him one night there. His death was a real suprise to us.
Guess I need to practise up on my red wine knowledge.. although the stuff always seems to put my stomach off.... You'd laught at my Royal Enfield... it's only a 350cc India made one. But it is an old one with 6 volts and right side shift. Great to hang on the back of the Barth and explore with when we arrive somewhere.
Yesterday I mowed the sunshine filledyard... hey, that ment running the Barth up the road a couple of miles and back.. and today, like Ol'Roy say's, you can't see a thing for the fog and rain.
cheers, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/16
Picture of coaster48
posted Hide Post
From Barths to wine - who would of thunk it. personally I like my red wine at room temperature -any room I happen to be in!
Roy, you nailed it in your description of Sechelt Inlet and area! Lake Superior looks inviting- great pics Dave
We, up in the Pacific Northwest can never shake that rain and fog banner , can we! just like it is right now as I try to see out my window

Salut,skol,cheers,etc.etc.

Posts: 93 | Location: Sechelt,B.C. Canada | Member Since: 03-17-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Frankly, I think there are so many beautiful areas in the US. Not to mention the rest of the world. I recall admiring the red rock while driving home to Simi Valley From Chatsworth, CA in the early 70's. I lived 18 months in Oberammergau, Germany where every where you look is a WOW, and even the rice patties, green in the springtime on the banks of the Injim River in Korea. Nobody, I mean nobody has the ultimate vision of beauty in this world. Ever driven between San Jose and Santa Cruz through the redwoods, how about the first view of the Golden Gate Bridge. Ask Carl Flack about the national park near Cookeville, TN. Ever seen that movie "The Last of the Mohican's". Was that South or North Carolina. Ever drive from the airport in Providence Rhode Island to Clinton, MA in October, ever take the bus to the airport on Catalina Island, how about the football field nestled in a cedar grove at the University of Wisconsin at Platteville om the late afternoon, OK one more. From Garmish Partenkirchen, Germany through the Austrian Alps to Malano, Italy in a VW bug, takes the breath of 4, 21 year old GI's away..uh huh.

I drink one glass of cheap Merlot every evening unless I forget. I like it cold, real cold. I hate warm wine. I have lived in this house for 23 years, I own this house, while in this house I drink my glass of wine cold, really cold.

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited March 26, 2005).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted Hide Post
Hey John: You trying to give Olroy and my spot away in you yard?If you Folks can get to John yard it a real "TREAT",and so are Irene & John!We are "LUCKY" we been there & done that!Thank Irene & John for your "SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY" Also if you get a chance Gary& Edie Miller In Hayden,Id.has a great yard too!Been there and done that!Same thank too Gary & Edie "TOO"! GREAT FOLKS TO MEET!

------------------
Jay&Shelby 95 Barth Regency 34ft. 8.3 Cummins 300 hp.
Spartan K2 MM.

[This message has been edited by bubbiebarth2 (edited March 26, 2005).]

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Dave, before you lust too much for two buck chuck, check Liquor Depot downtown on Washington st for Crocodile Rock. It is an Australian import, and sold for 3 bucks here. They have a Merlot which was very good, but our preference was Shiraz. Delicato is a pretty good Merlot, too. About 7 bucks for 1.75 litres.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the hint Bill, I too have found Australian and also Chilean Merlots to be very drinkable by a non wine guy. I check around here for that. I don't go down on Washington too much since I let my posse go. But that is going to change. The Liquor Depot is about 4 block from the Metrodome and about the same from the Mississippi River. There river is becoming a very high rent district. They have taken the old General Mills and Pillsbury elevators built in 1800 something and installed $500K condos in them. It seems these days if you can find an old solid building somewhere and put a hoity toity shopping center with an Italian or Indian grocery and an optical shop where frames cost $500 each, people pack it out and the real estate goes through the ceiling.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post