Forums    General Discussions    Favorite Barth!!
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Favorite Barth!!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/16
Picture of coaster48
posted
OK, just thought I would stir the Forum!
Let's hear from you all about your dream Barth! ( Either you own it or wish it) Size,engine,floorplan,etc.,etc. It's sorta a Spring clean- up for this year . As a new member , I like to absorb as much info as possible. I think Dave likes a 33' diesel Breakaway!!?? What about everyone else!!!
Neil

Posts: 93 | Location: Sechelt,B.C. Canada | Member Since: 03-17-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
On our way home from Florida we stopped into Shelby NC to look at 2 "dream Barths". A very gracious couple, Mr & Mrs Everett Hoyle are in the enviable position of having 2 Barths! Cool or what!
These are a 1993 standard body 32' Regency and a 95 wide body Spartan/300CAT 34?? foot Monarch. One or the other has to go!
These are the only 2 Barths I've ever had a close look at. I was rather surprised at how "closed in" I felt in the 93 Regency. The wide body Monarch seemed very spacious and open. And had a much more modern feel. Don't get me wrong, I'd give my eye teeth to own either one of them! It's just how I felt, after inspecting 2 very differnt style coaches, side by side.
The Hoyle's are very nice people. Mr. hoyle is sort of semi retired from the plumbing business and they are long time Barth owners. I guess they bought the Monarch last summer because they thought a family member wanted the Regency, but that didn't happen so now they are left with 2 top line coaches.
Anybody interested? The phone number is 704 482-1005
I just checked Nada values on these rigs. Interestingly the 93 Regency 250CAT/Gillig was given a higher value than the 96 Monarch 300 CAT/Spartan. ??Strange??
BTW. We saw one other Barth, a mid/late 80s Regal sitting in the front yard of a home on Rt 16 a few miles west of St Augustine Florida. Didn't look like it had seen much use lately.
Someday! Someday!
Cheers.
Don

quote:
Originally posted by coaster48:
OK, just thought I would stir the Forum!
Let's hear from you all about your dream Barth! ( Either you own it or wish it) Size,engine,floorplan,etc.,etc. It's sorta a Spring clean- up for this year . As a new member , I like to absorb as much info as possible. I think Dave likes a 33' diesel Breakaway!!?? What about everyone else!!!
Neil

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
I just realized I goofed on the Monarch, Mr Hoyle told me its a 300 hp CUMMINS, not a CAT.
Sorry, not enuf coffee yet!
Don
>
quote:
Originally posted by Don in Niagara:
[
These are a 1993 standard body 32' Regency and a 95 wide body Spartan/300CAT 34?? foot Monarch.

[/B]

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted Hide Post
We are "LUCKY"! We have our DREAM Barth!

------------------
Jay&Shelby 95 Barth Regency 34ft. 8.3 Cummins 300 hp.
Spartan K2 MM.

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Ya I dream of the 33 foot Breakaway with a 240 Cummins pumped up to 300+ 6 speed transmission, free standing dinette, just like this one.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If money were no object I might consider trading up to a 33' Breakaway Pusher. But, the 28' Regal fits both my pocketbook and camping lifestyle. (boondocking in tight places)

I think the only changes I'd like to make, that would be the cat's meow, would be a new paintjob and an updated, lighter colored interior. Burgundy and brown are not my favorite colors.

'Course my RV'ing began with a 16' Casita so the 28' Regal feels like a castle. I wish I could have kept the Casita as it would go places no other towable would. It would have been nice to still have it and tow with the Barth for the grandyoung'uns quarters. Seems like it weighed only about 1100 lbs. The resale of it was tops too.

[This message has been edited by dogill (edited March 22, 2005).]

Posts: 130 | Location: Hattiesburg, MS, USA | Member Since: 08-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Our max length is 30 feet due to boondocking in small sites, too. So I guess a 30 foot Breakaway with a pumped up 5.9 and a six speed. Don't even know if they put a 6 speed in a 30 footer. Oh, and gotta have a side door. And a rear bedroom. And REALLY big tanks. And NO propane genset.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/16
Picture of coaster48
posted Hide Post
I love the responses!!

Don: I can see you're getting closer on your want list and I feel you are getting closer to the reality of being a Barth owner! What rig do you own now?

Jay and Shelby: I love to hear owners content to the n'th with their rigs. Sounds like you got a "bute" Any pics to forward!!!!

Dave: That is some classic rig!! I like that one alot!! I believe I have read that you have a 28 ft. Regal. What features of the Breakaway get you thinking of upgrade?

Dogill: I like your comment about the rig being appropriate for you! I think a lot of us dream for the ultimate unit but forget about how we want to use it. State(Provincial) parks, local getaways, boondocking and general ease of mobility thru small narrow street towns etc. I know my dream is to do Mexico throughout again and to be able to manouver the quaint little town streets!

Bill H. : I hear you Bill! Your needs sound close to mine. ie: rear bed, side door and TANKS!- which ones!!!! What's wrong with a propane genset?

OK everyone else! - this is just the start ! - just think it's Xmas and put the wish list out! I know the're others that want to respond!!!! ---and others that want to hear!!

Thanx, Neil

Posts: 93 | Location: Sechelt,B.C. Canada | Member Since: 03-17-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coaster48:
Bill H. : I hear you Bill! Your needs sound close to mine. ie: rear bed, side door and TANKS!- which ones!!!! What's wrong with a propane genset?

Thanx, Neil

Tanks? Fresh water, grey and black.

Propane gensets are OK, but they eat up propane, and don't do as well as gasoline at higher altitudes. And propane tanks never seem large enough for much genset running. Although, with the solar panels, we don't run the genset much unless under clouds or trees.
Also, that Onan Quiet Diesel genset is really quiet. If mounted inside a soundproofed compartment, is is incredibly quiet.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited March 23, 2005).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe larger holding tanks are a universal wish for most but not that big a deal when boondocking in remote areas, if you're using an enzyme rather than a chemical. After all, what did we use for a latrine in our younger days of wilderness tent camping?

My Barth is a 1984 Regal 28', acquired last August from Ron, the M&M cord, NASA electrical engineer/rocket scientist. That idiot traded (he thought up) for a SoB, because he couldn't find the right Breakaway soon enough for his impetuous nature. Ahhh, my gain. Over time and with the help of all the Barthmobile pro-mechanics, I've grown to understand and appreciate the ins and outs of Barth stewardship with each excursion.

Mexico throughout? Wow, I admire your nads. Back in 1972, myself and a couple of my amigos drove to Guatamala in my new Jeep 3/4 ton 4x4. What a trip! Like stepping back two centries when we got south of Mexico City, in the province of Xaqua (sp?).
It got pretty scarry at times and it was good advice to have your hood chained down and padlocked. It was, however, a beautiful and educational experience I'll never, ever forget. As I recall, the highways weren't bad at all (except for the 18 wheeler's manners)but some of the more interesting side trips were a challenge even for the HD 4x4. It was dangerous then, but now with the thriving industry of kidnapping gringos, I'm not as gutsy as I once was...like when you're 22 years old, you don't think you can die.

Now, what's the lust for the rear berth? I find the center twins w/ rear head, very comfortable and convenient for those who's S.O. experieces acclimating/hormonal thangs, (blankets on and off every few minutes, winter or summer) and to be fair, an old fart, like me, who has to pee 4 times during the night. :-) I've considered installing a device we used on our Navajo Cheiftain (funnel/tube/suction) but don't think it would work when not in flight. However, the little syrup canisters the pilots used would be nice for the driver, occasionally. Some of you Ace's might know where to still find them?

Oh yeah, would be nice to have a roof mount, constant tuning satellite dome one day when the cost comes down.

[This message has been edited by dogill (edited March 23, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by dogill (edited March 23, 2005).]

Posts: 130 | Location: Hattiesburg, MS, USA | Member Since: 08-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I have a pdf of a couple who, with their 1982 Barth on an Iveco (Fiat) chassis took a caravan from McAllen, TX to the southern tip of South America. Took something like 6 months I think.

Let me know I'll email it to you.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
I just have to figure out how to move my door back 10' and widen the rig 6" and it will be perfect. Well maybe a diesel genset instead of the propane.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
There is a drawback to having a side door, though. It takes up two feet or more of wall space. For us, the trade-off works, though. Loading, unloading, passing food, etc. I notice Barth seems to have made more side entrance pushers than most other brands.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogill:

Now, what's the lust for the rear berth?

Well, it's not really a lust, just a preference. We often have overnight guests, and don't want them traipsing through the bedroom to the john. We like to sleep together. We sleep without heat, so in winter, side beds are much colder, particularly in an all metal coach. and the dog needs a five minute cuddle at bedtime between us on the bed. Side beds did not work for that, either.

I converted ours from side beds to a double. The top lifts up to allow access to a lot of storage. I built a cave under the foot of the bed to allow a BIG ice chest to be slid in an out for access.

Warning: Imminent Thread Drift:.........As for getting up four times a night to the call of nature, have you considered supplements such as saw palmetto or pumpkin seeds? I am 62 and have slept through the night since starting supplements.

posted Hide Post
yeah Bill, thread drift and mind drift...
I'm supposed to be taking my saw palmetta and zinc everyday but I can't seem to remember to remember. I haven't heard about the pumpkin seeds. When I forget the Hyzaar though, my body lets me know.

Your point regarding overnight guest traipsing through is well taken and would be an issue with adults. So far our only overnighters are the grandchildren, in which case I usually opt for the uncomfortable sofa. Got to get Ron to send a NASA auxilary matress if this keeps up. The kids sleep like rocks.