Forums    General Discussions    Favorite Barth!!
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Favorite Barth!!
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Hating to admit that the Euro isn't perfect, I have to say that I picture a Spartan 40 rear bedroom with a walk in shower and real comfortable sleeper as well as a [gasp] drop down sleeper from overhead. Never seen one in a Barth but noone seems to build anything that will take 6 adults racing for a weekend in comfort. We don't demand much, but comfortable sleeping for 3 couples should be somewhat easy to accomplish with this much floor space. This isn't a Barth only issue, just look at what's out there now. I'd like to see one of our creative minds figure out what it would take to plan a rear queen, a half bath, a split twin, a full bath divided, a galley with seating for six, not necessarily together but that wouldn't hurt, and a drop bed or drop table for sleeping another adult couple.
I know the general response will be "if you can afford a rig like this you can afford to go alone", however, we happen to like going racing with our friends, and find it much more economical splitting things 6 ways, or at least 4.
To go in a SOB mode, just check out Dave's thread on the Wild Wild West Coach. I would never ask for another thing for the rest of my life!!
Good topic, and it's been fun reading the responses.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3484 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
As for sleeping 6, I lay a plywood across the driver and pass seat to make a bed for one, and fold down the cocktail table and face the swivel cocktail chairs to lay another plywood on them to make another bed. Of course, the plywood sleepers have to stay in place until the foldout couch sleepers are ready to be disturbed. On a smaller coach long ago, I had a plywood shelf above the front seats for a kid.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll have to go along with Jay and Shelby's Regency.....Lovely! But, I haven't seen that Cornbinder 40' footer yet, with the 4 captain's chairs... so next I'll have to go with our own 34T. We probably could do with a double bed, but, with the rear twins, the cat is all mine alone! Plus the gear vendor O/D and the Peninsula double pane windows are really great assets. Now if We can justify the $3 a gallon price of petrol in So. Cal. Any Ideas on that Dave, Hmmm?
cheers, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/16
Picture of coaster48
posted Hide Post
Great stuff everyone! Had great laughs with Bill H. and Dogill comments on the sleeping arrangements, spouse's aging dilemas and individual body functions(misfunctions) aaah the aging process!!

Dogill: I did a similar trip to Mexico back in 1968 and again in1970 and yes we did have NO fear of anything at that age. But those great memories of the Mexican culture,interesting people and towns and challenging travels on their highways(roads!) still stir up an excitement to head back down there to see the changes some thirty five years later

Bill H. I understand the side door/front entry dilema - always a compromise regardless!

I am finding all the comments very interesting, Neil

Posts: 93 | Location: Sechelt,B.C. Canada | Member Since: 03-17-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Yes John I do have an idea. Repeat after me,

"Bedbug ridden Comfort Inn, $130 a night, Bed bug ridden Comfort Inn, $130 a night,

And add to that, "Denny's crapola breakfast, 1300 calories, 3000 mg salt, swollen ankles. bloated for hours, vs. Raisen Bran and toast with wife and Starbucks Guatemala Roast in my own coffee pot, Barthmobile coffee mug, watching CNN laying on the couch etc. etc. etc. "my own sheets and pillow" "glass of Merlot" etc. etc......

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Guatemala Roast in my own coffee pot, Barthmobile coffee mug, watching CNN laying on the couch etc. etc. etc. "my own sheets and pillow" "glass of Merlot" etc. etc......

Dave am I reading your post correctly? A glass of Merlot and a cup of Guatemala Roast, now that is an interesting breakfast. I put milk on my Rasin Brand but what the heck do I know, I am new to the Barth culture.

Big Smile:

Tim

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I understand Tim it will take you awhile to get in the swing of things around here. Barth folk do thinks a little different.

However, what I was thinking of and didn't communicate well, it that you can buy a nice bottle of Merlot for under $8, sometimes under $5 but if you go to a resturant it is like $6.50 a glass and you have to setup straight at a table to drink it. Everything about having a motorhome on a trip is better, "I think".

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Dave didn't add; Florida state parks-$18 a night. Alabama State parks$16 per night Georgia State Parks- $18 per night, etc. etc.
If I'm off by a buck or 2 sue me, you all know what I mean. We pull in, plug in, and enjoy so much for so little it's ridiculous.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3484 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I don't know where Dave gets that expensive wine. I like the box stuff for a bedtime drink, and if I get fancy, I go for Trader Joe's Charles Shaw wines at $2.00 a bottle ( known colloquially as 2 buck Chuck).

A year or two ago, I had a fairly pricey bottle of sauvignon blanc, and a bottle of 2 buck - same variety. The pricey stuff might have been a tad better when it first hit the palate, but not by the second glass. My guests were split on which was better. I thought the chuck went better with food.

Perhaps I just don't appreciate the finer things.

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited March 24, 2005).]

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hey Roy you have nothing on me. When the doc said I should have a glass of wine a day. I searched for a red wine that didn't taste like red wine. I first went with Beujolais which was like 9 bucks a bottle and I didn't like that. Kept comparing it to a 2 liter bottle of Diet Coke. Then I found Merlot and then Columbia Crest Merlot from the Columbia Valley which I think must be near where you live. $5.95 half of the time and the other half $3.95. If we had Chuck here it would be in my frig. I hear it is going to be here but it will be 3-4 buck Chuck here. I think it was on 20-20 where they had the "experts" fooled with the Chuck vs. $20-30 a bottle stuff.

------------------

Picture of coaster48
posted Hide Post
John: up here in the NORTH(Canada) we have been paying that kinda money for a while (YEARS)---that's why we all go South!!!! Anyway it's still cheaper to travel in your own rig!

Dave: from my perspective everything is cheaper down there----I better buy a Barth and head south!!!! "two-buck chuck"--woooa-major headache!!! Keep to a quality Merlot

CHEERS! as the wine glass goes PING!

Posts: 93 | Location: Sechelt,B.C. Canada | Member Since: 03-17-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ay, Coaster,
We're practically neighbors. In fact there used to be a Vincent Rally just south of Powell River(at Douglas Bay)every summer and I've roared through Sechelt plenty of times to catch the next ferry. Canada is cheaper than here except for smokes and booze. With the exchange rate, the last time I was there with the Barth, in the summer of 2003, gas was pretty comparable... My point is on a fixed pension it's getting a LOT more costly to go anywhere these days and just like in '73 I think we're getting a BS story. Anyone want to Barth it to White Horse these days?
Cheers, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of coaster48
posted Hide Post
Hey John: The only reason fuel, etc. is cheaper up here is because of the dollar difference. I could never understand why more people from the USA who traveled by MH didn't see what the US dollar could buy up here!?? Mind you the exchange rate has changed substantially in the past year, but before you could have reaped a40% plus gain on your dollar with overall cost of living being almost comparable. John, being on a fixed pension only gives you more reason to travel in Canada, as your dollar still buys more up here and the province of British Columbia ,Canada has a lot to offer the RV world! Great to hear you have passed through these parts,--what did you think of the Sunshine Coast,B,C., what is the Vincent Rally????

Cheers, Neil

posted Hide Post
Neil,
The Vincent Rally at Douglas Bay (this could have been a name given to the property that my friend Tim's wifes' family owned 10 mi. south of Powell River) was for English motorcycles of that brand, but the guy putting it on(Tim Cameron) died of cancer in about 1990. The Sunshine Coast is as good as it gets in North America.... if it isn't pissing down rain. It is as close to the Fjords of Norway as you can get (my favorite places, when it's warm)... one should be sure to take in the ferry trip to Comax, STUNNING!!! Irene is a Brit and has a 90 yr. old Uncle and Aunt in White Rock and a cousin in White horse and a second cousin in Inverness so we're up there a lot. Wanna trade passports? Ha, 'thought that'd call your bluff ;-) Hey Hoser, Buy that 1987 32 footer that is on this list if you want a Barth... It's a steal!
Whoops..... had to add this.. Dave, Red Wine is chilled with ice, not refridgerated . just don't tell any one you put it in the Ice box and I wont either.. OK Buddy?
Cheers, John

[This message has been edited by John & Irene (edited March 25, 2005).]

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I promise I won't tell John. When I was in Germany I couldn't see how these guys would drink beer warm and same with wine for me.

As far as Canada is concerned, we did that circle tour around Lake Superior. The campgrounds are number one. The photos below are from Sleeping Giant near Thunder Bay, and Nyes, near Marathon, ON. Quite a place and a real deal, eh!

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited March 26, 2005).]