Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Mysterious breaker
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Well, camping season is over for us so I am continuing renovating our 25 ft. 1988 Barth Regal.

Now, I am attempting to identify 120 Volt breakers - previous owners did not know what is what. I identify (in the order from top to bottom):
1. Main
2. AC
3. Convection oven
4. Bathroom and outside outlets
5. Battery charger
6. Passenger side indoor outlets including fridge
7. Kitchen outlet
8. ?

No clue what the last one - #8 is for. It is connected in the breakers' box and wire disappears in the oblivion of electrical system.
Any ideas?
I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Peter

Posts: 37 | Location: Wisconsin | Member Since: 03-03-2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Could be for the water heater. Many RV water heaters have propane, and a 110v electric element.

Some have a heater for the fresh water tank to prevent freezing.

Some have an engine preheater for cold weather starting.

I'm sure with all the Barth variations, there are other possibilities.

Have Barth, will travel, soon Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
With it switched off, how much resistance to the negative terminal? That should bracket the potential sources of the load.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for suggestions. Water heater is propane only and I don't see engine block heater on the old 454. I'll check holding tanks for potential heaters.
I will also check the resistance.

Posts: 37 | Location: Wisconsin | Member Since: 03-03-2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Rrfrigerator. AT least mine has it's own line and not shared.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for suggestion. I already got fridge. Must be something else.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
My 86 Regal had an overhead TV. The circuit that powered the TV area was separate. It went through a relay so as to disable it while driving. The relay was near the breaker box, both under the couch. hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I assume there are not any air bags my 88 had them, but they were manual fill, wish it had an air pump! Probably be 12 volts anyway!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2056 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great suggestions. The overhead TV circuit is there but not connected, just pre-wired. I have a wire terminated in the TV "box" and down by the wall behind where sofa used to be.

No pump for airbags, manual fill.

Must be something else... Mysterious...

posted Hide Post
Way back when I had a wire chaser. Hooked a sound generator at one end and had a hand receiver that would follow the wire. Wow! Sometimes my memory returns. When I get back home next week will look thru my stuff to see if I still have it. I am a hoarder so I might.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Well lots of good speculation! Is your transporter Energized when the breaker is on? Shields Up oh wait that’s emoji is Star War
Beam Me up Scottie!
Sorry but it gave me a good chuckle!

Plug a radio on high into every outlet you can find. Is there an exterior outlet in one of the bays?

I am putting in more outlets in my rig. I still use items that plug in and hate going around or to the other end to plug in. Air fryer and 2 burner electric hot plate and the ice maker will blow a breaker every time head bang

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
I suppose you could turn the breaker off and when you run across something that doesn't work , turn it back on . hmm

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 625 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try wire tracker or cable tacker. They are on ebay.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Back to my suggestion of testing resistance of the circuit. If it is an outlet, no resistance unless something is plugged in, likewise if it is for an antenna booster not switched on.
Amazing what you find when you go looking confusion

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/20
Picture of Paul And Jaime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Passenger side indoor outlets including fridge

Just curious as to why it would be marked that way? Is there no outlets on the drivers side? And if there is outlets on the drivers side why is there no breaker.

Posts: 155 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 10-20-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post