Forums    General Discussions    Does this sound right?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Does this sound right?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Ebay now has a 1980 Barth, 37' long on a "Hendrickson" chassis with a Cummings "V555" engine.

I'm a newbie. Does this sound right?

Posts: 22 | Location: Houston, Texas | Member Since: 03-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Ironhead, I though you would have been from Northern Minnesota...

I have seen this individual coach for sale before. I did a little research on the chassis and as I recall these Hendrickson-International chassis' were primarily school and transit bus chassis in the early 80's but were also widely used with fire trucks and such. The Cummins V-555 engine was much harder to find info on. With the exception of the fact that they are used big time on boats and even more common on large generators. I called the local Cummins guy here and his reply was...I think that's an industrial engine. It appears by the tag the seller photographed that this was indeed a non production model. Barth sure was an interesting company wasn't it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited May 12, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know of this coach... a guy I met through Barthmobile.com e-mailed me about this coach a year or so ago, and almost bought it. His wife wanted something newer. Anyway, it is loaded with tons of goodies, and while a little crude by Regency standards, would be a hell of a rig. Hendrickson made firetrucks and such back in the day. Apparently it rode like a dream! Could be a steal for someone... but it's B-I-G! 37'! Wow! Cummins... Allison... air suspension... WOOF! Check out those four captains' chairs!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte...rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave's right about the engine... The Cummins V555 is now a serious orphan. I searched the web and it's typically 210 HP, normally aspirated. Probably marginal power for this rig? GILLIG apparently used it extensively in busses, but I found a GILLIG site that said "most had been replaced along the way with CAT 3208's". Not an encouraging statement... Still parts for it everywhere, though...

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
The V555 is called the Triple Nickel by the fishermen in Alaska. The engine is not used much anymore. Most of the time they were removed and a replacement engine was installed in its place.

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post