Barthmobile Portal
Does this sound right?

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9331087061/m/1911068061

05-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Ironhead
Does this sound right?
Ebay now has a 1980 Barth, 37' long on a "Hendrickson" chassis with a Cummings "V555" engine.

I'm a newbie. Does this sound right?
05-12-2004, 11:16 PM
davebowers
Ironhead, I though you would have been from Northern Minnesota...

I have seen this individual coach for sale before. I did a little research on the chassis and as I recall these Hendrickson-International chassis' were primarily school and transit bus chassis in the early 80's but were also widely used with fire trucks and such. The Cummins V-555 engine was much harder to find info on. With the exception of the fact that they are used big time on boats and even more common on large generators. I called the local Cummins guy here and his reply was...I think that's an industrial engine. It appears by the tag the seller photographed that this was indeed a non production model. Barth sure was an interesting company wasn't it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited May 12, 2004).]
05-13-2004, 11:04 AM
duteman
I know of this coach... a guy I met through Barthmobile.com e-mailed me about this coach a year or so ago, and almost bought it. His wife wanted something newer. Anyway, it is loaded with tons of goodies, and while a little crude by Regency standards, would be a hell of a rig. Hendrickson made firetrucks and such back in the day. Apparently it rode like a dream! Could be a steal for someone... but it's B-I-G! 37'! Wow! Cummins... Allison... air suspension... WOOF! Check out those four captains' chairs!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte...rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
05-14-2004, 04:06 AM
duteman
Dave's right about the engine... The Cummins V555 is now a serious orphan. I searched the web and it's typically 210 HP, normally aspirated. Probably marginal power for this rig? GILLIG apparently used it extensively in busses, but I found a GILLIG site that said "most had been replaced along the way with CAT 3208's". Not an encouraging statement... Still parts for it everywhere, though...
05-14-2004, 02:55 PM
Dennis
The V555 is called the Triple Nickel by the fishermen in Alaska. The engine is not used much anymore. Most of the time they were removed and a replacement engine was installed in its place.