Reply To This Topic

Barth on Ebay - 460 Pusher
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Hi Diane, welcome to our group.
I looked at this coach over a year ago, and passed on it, even though I really wanted it.
I'd be happy to talk to you about my thoughts on this coach. I'm giving you a PM with my phone numbers.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Dianne, welcome to Barthmobile. I personally drove this Barth when it was in Ft. Mill, SC, three years ago. Even though you aren't going to pull anything, weight is an issue because the chassis of this coach is very heavy to begin with. I would strongly suggest you have this coach weighed at a CAT scale or similar place where big rigs hang out. There is quite a bit of conversation about problems associated with gas pushers on the Barthmobile site. I, too, am sending you a PM if you want to call me.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Would you believe an 8th time. This time it says "no reserve". Seen that before. This is the last line in the item description "All in all. This is a great Barth RV with a low reserve." New starting bid of $11,500.00 D'oh High bid for the seventh listing was $8,850.00

For the Eighth and ????? time

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Notice the story about the last buyer. We know better regarding that too.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, how much does one spend
to place an ad like this on eBay?....After 8 listings, it seems like the Law of Diminishing Returns has gotta come into play pretty soon Confused

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
It's used to be something like $50 to start the auction, and $50 when it ended successfully. However, the eBay Motors fee schedules changed recently and now it costs exactly $0 to post an RV listing with no reserve price. It costs $7 to put in a reserve. There is a $125 "successful listing" fee if the vehicle actually sells, but there probably an exception for a non-paying bidder (I know there is such a thing on other types of auctions). So if a seller claims the buyer didn't pay for the item, they would not have to pay that $125 either.

Hence the ability to list something over and over and over and over again, provided nobody is actually buying it!

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
it seems like the Law of Diminishing Returns has gotta come into play pretty soon Confused

The Law of Diminishing Returns is countermanded by the Greater Fool Theory.

Ant then, there is Pope's "Hope Springs Eternal".

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Nine hours to go and O bidders this time around.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
Nine hours to go and O bidders this time around.
From the auction
quote:
On Aug-05-09 at 08:30:21 PDT, seller added the following information:
I have has a question about the DOT stamp on the tires. The stamp said (DOT B62L) (BCC X 2800). I am not a tire expert but after going on the DOT site, I think the tires were made on Feb.-8-2000. They are older than I had previously thought.
I guess his earlier statement is not to be believed... Wonder what he'll put on the next time he lists it?
quote:
The Michelin tires appear to have been replaced within the last year. The rubber is shiny, soft and the pliable. Not hard & cracked as if they have been on for years.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Diane & Wayne
posted Hide Post
So even when tires look and feel good at what age should they be replaced? Or is that relative to how often they are used?

Posts: 24 | Location: Staten Island & the Catskills, NY | Member Since: 07-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Diane, one of the biggest problems with RV tires is lack of use. If they sit in one spot too long they will get flat spots. They need to be run and flexed to get the mileage out of them. All tires have a date code of when they were made. The tires on the advertised coach are date coded 2800. That would be the 28th week of 2000. The tires are 9.5 years old. About 7 years seems to be the limit and some of us feel more comfortable at 6 years.

I know of a coach that has tires that have less than 400 miles on them but have been sitting for 7 years without moving. REPLACE THEM

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Diane:
So even when tires look and feel good at what age should they be replaced? Or is that relative to how often they are used?

Sun hurts tires. Smog hurts tires. Sitting hurts tires. Running low hurts tires. Hitting curbs hurts tires.

You will notice that age is not on that list.

I drive ours every week inspect them (Braille) monthly, and rub Goodrich Age master into the sidewalls once or twice a year.

I think driving is the most important. The rubber companies put a preservative compound in the rubber, and rely on the heat and flexing of driving to force it to the surface where it can protect the tire. This is called "blooming".

Those are one guy's opinions. The tire companies differ from me and each other in their advice. A little. There is a lot of CYA in the tire company advice, too.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Did it really, really, really sell. One bid for $11,500.00

Nick

Picture of Diane & Wayne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did it really, really, really sell. One bid for $11,500.00

Time will tell, it always does. One thing is for certain, only 1 bid out of 1750+ views on eBay is not a good sign.

Thank you Nick, Bill H and Bill from NY for all the tire info., and apparently I better thank God too that we didn't have a major blow out when we took this heavy coach out on I-80 for a test drive. 9 1/2 year old tires sheesh! Eeker

Posts: 24 | Location: Staten Island & the Catskills, NY | Member Since: 07-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
on craigslist $3999 (Strafford, NH)

http://nh.craigslist.org/rvs/5070278873.html

The main picture was taken on the top of Acadia's Cadillac Mountain.
see pics--
I am selling this classic 1989 Barth Regal all aircraft grade riveted aluminum body
on a John Deer (Oshkosh) chassis with a Ford 460 cu in engine and E4OD transmission...odometer: 137000.
This coach has a brand new Excalibur forward heating furnace,
which runs at two speeds, and on low saves gas and is quiet.
Full galley with gas cook-top and convection Microwave.
7000 watt generator. - Picture shows it running - note not plugged in and 110vac drop lamp is on. Best way I could show the generator running.
Twin beds in rear. 5 solar panels on roof. This will need some work before any long trip...

☎ 603-373-9137

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2592 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post