Tools
Reply To This Topic

31' 1995 Regal
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It would depend on when the swap was made. It took a couple of years for the injector frailty to show up and wasn't yet generally known, or the "swapper" wasn't aware of the problems.

When I replaced the GM 6.5L TD engine in my coach in '06, I considered a Duramax, but research revealed the AMG-built successor was as durable and reliable as the later Duramaxes. I didn't need more power than a mid-rated 6.5.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What'd that cost?

Posts: 8 | Location: oregon/ wash | Member Since: 03-12-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
When the owner replaced the original GM diesel with the Duramax in 2003, the cost was $17000+. Believe it. I have the invoices. Doubt that the owner or the repair shop were aware of the Duramax problems. I talked to both of them and the owner especially was a very smart engineer.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This MH was listed on EBay last week but no bidders (Buy it now, $6,500). It was listed with a bad motor. I contacted the seller and he stated that it had a cracked head. I would differently consider it if that's all that's wrong.

Posts: 20 | Location: Newton, NC | Member Since: 08-03-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I would think there's more to this story. The early Duramax engines had fuel injector issues, but would this lead to a cracked head? At any rate, without an engine wow! Wonder how much a shop would charge to put in a new GM guaranteed engine? 10K?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If one could sort out the engine issues, it would be an outstanding rig. I would consider it for around 5g and then put 10g into it. I would just be a little cautious if I didn't know the whole history of it.

Posts: 20 | Location: Newton, NC | Member Since: 08-03-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Looked at this coach when the dealer had it. The coach itself is in nice shape.

Last month when driving between St. Mary's and Celina, OH. this coach was sitting in a small car lot for sale. I did not inquire what they wanted for it.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's still available in a few months, I may make an offer. I can afford to let it sit for a short time till I can save the funds for whatever repairs it needs. I was looking at a 33' Trek pusher with a bad 6.5 TD a year ago but couldn't make the deal.

posted Hide Post
It's back...http://dayton.craigslist.org/rvs/4045736790.html

Now on craigslist for $7500 - listed as having a cracked head and at a shop (in Sidney, OH)that will replace the engine with a rebuilt motor for $6500.

The person that is the contact states he sells motorhomes for a living, and used this coach for 3 months before the engine went bad, but needs to sell for his daughter's tuition.

Glad to run across this thread and hear the rest of the story - the odometer issue was not mentioned - I was told it HAD 43,000 miles on it. I was also told they installed a "whole new wiring harness" with the "upgraded" motor, and it now has one key on the column and a separate ignition key switch to start it. Seems it has had a lot of work done - I am debating about running over (from Columbus, OH) to look at it first hand tomorrow. It appears to have some potential for the right price, but also seems to come with a lot of "baggage" to wade through.

Posts: 42 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 12-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tool Man T, Jim & Tere - I sent PM's, but just in case - if you still have any of the old information on this coach, could you please forward it to me at jcbutt "at" hotmail "dot" com?

I may consider it if a deal can be struck - and one of the diesel shops I know can work a deal...

Posts: 42 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 12-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
I looked at this coach last year. It is a very clean coach. did not care for the color of the interior, but was in very good shape. The under carriage was almost rust free. With a new engine would be a nice coach. Curious as to how the head cracked, Haven't heard of that problem with this engine. Basement air has been added to this coach. Would be worth the trip to look at if one had time and money to fix.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doorman:
Curious as to how the head cracked, Haven't heard of that problem with this engine.

I agree - I have heard of some blown head gaskets. I haven't spoken to the shop to see if it is actually torn down or if this is just an assumption to where it is leaking water internally.

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I wondered about that as well. Bill NY has reported about the fuel injector problems on the early Duramax engines, but I wouldn't think that would in any way cause a cracked head. But overheating would. Wonder if the radiator setup in the old GM 6.5 was not adequate for the Duramax? Or maybe somebody just ran it hot. The owner that I talked to who owned it before Arbogast RV ever got involved told me that when they put the Duramax in, they could never figure out how to get the speedometer/odometer to work and it was sent to some computer person. It laid up in Ohio for several, like 7 or 8 years, before it was traded into Arbogast. Not knowing all the options, the NADA is somewhere around $19000. I would get a firm price on a new engine with all the electronics to make it a one key setup. My guess is that the repair cost will be at least 15K

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

posted Hide Post
I spoke to the shop that has the coach this morning - it's a bit more than a head (gasket) - the motor is locked up and the tech says you can smell it when you walk by - overheated and blown up/locked up. He did tell me the original harness is still intact, just tie wrapped up in the engine bay so it could go back to a 6.5TD - but then there's the transmission to deal with. I have a friend that works for a major diesel shop looking into costs/options. Seller told me last night the "rock bottom" price was $7K - I didn't mention the eBay listing (yet).

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Jim's repair estimate is pretty close. Peninsular Engines offers its 6.5L TD from 230-300 HP, based on the AMG. With Phazer gear camshaft drive it would run about $8,500, and about $3,000 for installation.

The transmission could be an issue, but school busses and step vans frequently had the 6.5L TD and an Allison, so it's feasible (at least for older Allisons). AFAIK, those combos were non-OD trannies, so an uprated 4L80E is better. The 4L80E geartrain is quite robust, but the input shaft, TC and clutches need upgrading.

An alternative would be to get a donor 4L80E and have Sun Coast Converters upgrade it for around $4,500. I wouldn't consider a stock 4L80E and its stock torque converter for an uprated engine.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post