Tools
Reply To This Topic

31' 1995 Regal
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
The 1000 Chassis is the same as on most 28' and 30' Breakaways.

My 30' Breakaway Chassis is Spartan EC2000 series, specifically EC2242.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
The dealer states that this 31' coach has a wheelbase of 172". Does that sound short for 31' motor home? My 28' Regal has a 192" wheelbase. I know that was not standard but still 172"??

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of Tool Man T
posted Hide Post
Hi Gang,
Perhaps I can help with some information I was able to obtain about this coach.
I was giving this coach serious consideration and communicated At length with the dealer between the first week of December, till last week.
I felt the price was very high, also I could not get candid answers to my question regarding the new engine. And many regarding the known history of the coach.
At first I was told that the new engine had only the mileage shown on the odometer. That the odometer was re-set when the new engine was installed ( I'm only 60 years old and don't know much, but I thought doing that sort of thing was a no no ). Shields Up I was told that the CAR FAX I requested was in the attachments with additional photos I requested but it wasn't. Had to ask several times before it was sent.
I'm not picking on the dealer I just think that they knew little about what they have. And when I first contacted the dealer the person who caught my call was uninformed and gave me some answers that made no sense.
Anyway, I have other photos not shown in the ad, including the CAR FAX, Data Tag, Chassis Tag and some showing service records.
Jim and Tere, if you are interested in the information I have send me your e-mail and I will forward the stuff I have.
I'm road kill on the information super-highway and don't know how to post things. I am also happy to answer your questions about information I was given

Joel Taylor

Posts: 164 | Location: South Carolina | Member Since: 05-12-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tool Man T
posted Hide Post
BTW feel free to forward the Data Tag photos to Bill NY for the project. Computer

Joel Taylor

Posts: 164 | Location: South Carolina | Member Since: 05-12-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Joel, I've had the same problems. But I did talk to the owner who had the engine installed. He too thought the price was too high. My email is
jimandtere@copper.net and I would really like to see what you have. Still can't figure the short wheelbase. Anything you have would be great. Could you pm me with your phone number and we'll talk.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tool Man T
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Joel, I've had the same problems. But I did talk to the owner who had the engine installed. He too thought the price was too high. My email is
jimandtere@copper.net and I would really like to see what you have. Still can't figure the short wheelbase. Anything you have would be great. Could you pm me with your phone number and we'll talk.
Jim
If I understand the Data Tag code correctly, the coach is 30'

Joel Taylor

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
The 1000 Chassis is the same as on most 28' and 30' Breakaways.

My 30' Breakaway Chassis is Spartan EC2000 series, specifically EC2242.

Yep, yours and mine seem to defy categorization. billyt53 confirmed with Spartan mine was a 1000, but the chassis was built 2/92 and the coach not completed until 4/93, the prototype for the post-'93 28's. Maybe Spartan as well as Barth were going through transitions.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
"New 5500 Duramax Diesel (502 Miles)" Hmmmm, someone converted this? Very interesting!

Calling it a "5500" leads me to believe it was taken from a Chevy C5500 donor truck, so it wasn't new. The Duramax is 6.6L ("6600"), and would probably be an LB7 or LBZ.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
The Data Tag is
9410393630LK20B
I decipher that as finished in October 1994, sequential number 3936, 30 feet long, LK??, 20B floor plan??
If I'm right on the 30' that would be interesting because NADA does not show a 30' unit built/titled in 1995.
Will send in Pic of data tag when I get it.
Also, the donor engine/transmission was from a wrecked 5500, probably a Kodiak. It's a 5-speed Allison.
Am making offer later today. Will let you know how it goes.
I've developed a lot of good info on this, some good, some not so good.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

posted Hide Post
hey Jim, I would certainly verify what year the Duramax engine is. Probably being a salvage engine there will be no history of GM recall repair or maintenance. There was a lot of trouble with this engine when first produced with injectors and other major repairs resulting in several class action lawsuits against GM.

Many changes over the year were done to this engine. Later years are quite good and have a ton of torque and can be tuned well.

Just do your home work

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
There was a lot of trouble with this engine when first produced with injectors and other major repairs...
4 sets of injectors all covered under warranty for me on my 2003 service truck. All told, no injector exceeded 35k miles.

I believe that starting in 2004 they changed the head design to make the injectors changeable without removing the valve covers - this took care of most of the issues related to the injectors.

2 sets of exhaust manifold gaskets, the driver's side manifold kept leaking. 2 fuel pumps that was not covered under warranty - known issue but was tossed when GM was bailed out.

1 injector supply tube that filled up the crankcase with diesel and blew out the front main seal.

By 2005 the Duramax was pretty decent.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. There is a number on the engine--0240229 that I can't identify. The donor vehicle was a 2002 5500 Kodiak, so it has to be an early 2003 or late 2002 engine I would think. The dealer claims it is a new engine. When I asked him if there was a GM warranty on the engine, he said he would have to check with the dealership. This RV dealer is part of a very large GM dealership in Troy. More later.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

posted Hide Post
The 172 inch wheel base I believe is standard for 30' Barths using the EC1000 or EC2000 Spartan chassis.

quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:

Also, the donor engine/transmission was from a wrecked 5500, probably a Kodiak. It's a 5-speed Allison.

I would NOT believe it is a new engine, How can it be if it came from a "wrecked" vehicle?

The credibility of this vehicle and what it is in my mind is in serious question!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
The vin # on the donor vehicle shows a 2003 GMC Sierra. A set of injectors is $2800, parts only. Think I will run away from this one. Thanks to all for the help.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I have made an offer on this Barth that reflected the many discrepancies and known problems with the motor home, particularly the engine problems and the inability to prove the actual mileage on either the engine or the chassis. As you might expect, the offer was turned down.
If there are any others on the site that are still interested in this motor home, please send me a PM if you want any details. In the right hands and for the right price, it would be a very nice Barth.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B