Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Need Help with Grandpa's Barth - UPDATED 3-19-11
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Need Help with Grandpa's Barth - UPDATED 3-19-11
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of Curtis H.
posted Hide Post
Hey everyone,

Well I've been up to visit the Barth a couple times this summer. I'm happy to report that it started right up each time, even after sitting for the entire winter, and purred just like a 454 should. I haven't really done much work to the Barth because I've been busy focusing on other things, but now I would like to turn to you all to help me determine my plan of attack.

I would like to hear any and all suggestions of what you all would do mechanically before you would trust this motor home on a long haul trip. After I figure out everything that needs to be done, I will decide what things I can do myself and what things I will outsource. I found a shop local to the motor home that is very familiar with the P30 chassis.

I went through all of the invoices and receipts and organized them. There may have been other work done, but I just don't have the invoice from, but this is everything that I know of.

The Barth is currently at around 100,000 miles, so that puts the engine at approximatively 37,000 miles.

So, now onto what needs to be done:

-Drop both fuel tanks and clean inside
-Replace all rubber fuels lines
-Replace fuel filter
-Flush radiator
-Replace radiator hoses
-Replace belts
-Replace all rubber brake lines
-Replace brake pads/shoes and turn rotors/drums if possible, otherwise purchase new
-Flush brake fluid
-Lubricate chassis
-Repack wheel bearing
-Replace all driving lights and lenses needed
-Replace all 6 tires
-Flush transmission fluid

Also, I would like to have to list to things to either check out myself, or make sure to have checked when I take it to the shop:
-Ball joints and front suspension

Anything else you guys would be before you would head out on that first voyage? I'm going to go back and read all the previous posts on this thread, but all of this is just off the top of my head.

One last thing I thought I would share. When I was Up North this past weekend, I put the old Barth to work. My Grandfather left another motor home, 1973 GMC, that also hasn't been started in a number of years and has sank down in the ground a bit. My Grandma asked me to have a tow truck pull it out and put it in the side yard with a For Sale sign. I called a couple towing places and they all wanted at least $250 to even come out, so my Dad and I decided to see if we couldn't get it out ourself first, then call a wrecker if we had to. So, after a couple hours of jacking up the motor home to put wood under it and digging around it, we were at this point...

http://vimeo.com/15810800

I apoligize for my father swearing in the video, I think he got a little excited when he saw the Barth actually pull the GMC

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches but to reveal to him his own." Benjamin Disraeli

Posts: 99 | Location: Rochester, MI | Member Since: 10-08-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Curtis: You are doing an excelent job. You would make any Grandfather proud.................

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Curtis - any way you can get a serial number (begins with TZE) off the GMC? It is very important that we keep track of all orphans and there is a very active GMC registry. I'm sure they would appreciate it. If you're interested, I can help you get the GMC advertised on a number of sits.Thanks

Posts: 31 | Location: Americus, Georgia | Member Since: 05-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Curtis H.
posted Hide Post
Thanks Carl!

quote:
Originally posted by Stick Miller:
Curtis - any way you can get a serial number (begins with TZE) off the GMC? It is very important that we keep track of all orphans and there is a very active GMC registry. I'm sure they would appreciate it. If you're interested, I can help you get the GMC advertised on a number of sits.Thanks

I'm sending you a private message

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches but to reveal to him his own." Benjamin Disraeli

Posts: 99 | Location: Rochester, MI | Member Since: 10-08-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I saw this post I remember talking to Nick about this in a private setting. We were discussing our own Barth Registry aka Data Tag Project and I said to him.
quote:
It seems that Dave Greenberg is doing the same thing...

http://www.mumert.com/gmc_registry.htm

David Greenberg has developed a Registry for the GMC motorhomes. He is attempting to find information on the 12,921 GMC's that were built, their owners, present and past, are they still on the road, etc. So far, he has over 7,300 listed in the Registry

For Us, it looks like 123 units, so far, out of maybe 3500.
Of course, that was awhile ago - we now have about 336 ourselves, so we are gaining on them. Computer

Here is another link to The GMC Registry

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TZE (serial number locations)
The TZE can be found in 4 places on a GMC. The 3 easiest spots are:

The Service Parts I.D. decal in the glove box. It may be on the back of the GB
in early 73's

On the fire wall, nect to the trouble light

On the bulkhead next to the driver's seat on a small decal

Also, on the driver's side frame rail, near the brake cable yoke. Hard to find-hard to see.

Posts: 31 | Location: Americus, Georgia | Member Since: 05-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
you have a great looking coach,hope you will not have to sell it for schooling great job you are young enough to have a really old collectors coach when we are all gone. keep it up
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Curtis, I am really enjoying reading all your posts and am sure your Granddad is smiling down on you.
A couple of suggestions:
1. When you replace the rubber fuel lines, make sure you get new ones rated for 'fire/alcohol' use. I did that because the ethanol mix in fuel today will cause problems in ordinary rubber.
2. I would also get steel braided brake lines. Will last longer and not lose dimension as easily.
3. Everything you replace, think about upgrades. Henderson has upgrades for just about any
suspension part on your Barth. There are some good upgrades for ignition components. Torque converter
upgrades and/or Gear Vendors overdrive will do amazing things for that transmission. These kind of things will keep your Barth on the road for a long time. I've done most all of these things on my '85 and while it may look like a 25 year old motor home, it doesn't drive like one.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Curtis H.
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone!

Let me start of by apologizing I have not been around lately. I've just busy with everything these days, and it seems if there just aren't enough hours in the day!

quote:
TZE (serial number locations)
The TZE can be found in 4 places on a GMC. The 3 easiest spots are:

Stick Miller, I apologize for not getting back to you until now. I have the TZE #; check your PMs. Sorry again for such a late response.

quote:
Originally posted by lenny and judy:
you have a great looking coach,hope you will not have to sell it for schooling great job you are young enough to have a really old collectors coach when we are all gone. keep it up
lenny

Lenny and Judy, thank you for the compliment! Personally, I consider my Barth, or any Barth for that matter, better looking than any other coach on the road! No worries about having to sell it for school. School is done, for now at least! More so, I consider the Barth one of those sunk costs, even though I didn't pay for it, I inherited it, I consider it one of those things that won't ever be sold. Thanks again for the nice words!

quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Curtis, I am really enjoying reading all your posts and am sure your Granddad is smiling down on you.
A couple of suggestions:...

Jim and Tere,
Thank you for the nice words. I know you are right about my Grandfather smiling down on me. I know how much enjoy this Barth, and I know it makes him smile knowing that I enjoy is also. I'm just glad that he chose a quality motorhome, and didn't leave me with something that’s falling apart! At 27 years old, this is one solid motorhome!
Thank you for the suggestions, I will definitely make note of everything you pointed out. It's the little things to me, like the fire/alcohol rated fuel lines and steel braided brake lines that make the difference. After all, it's not like these parts take any longer to install than do ordinary parts. The only difference might be a little more cost, but if it protects me from an engine fire or from my brake lines drying out sooner, then it's well worth it in my mind.
By the way, I've always enjoyed following your progress on your Barth seeing as it is so much like my Barth (although it is a couple feet longer).

Now, let me update everyone on the current status of the Barth:

As I left everyone last fall, I was planning to really give the Barth a lot of attention in anticipation of embarking on a cross country trip of some sort. I had quite a bit of work planned for the Barth, from belts and hoses to brakes and tires and even a new refrigerator, but the more I thought about it the more unrealistic it became to me. Its wasn't the work that I was afraid of, it was the fact that I would be sinking quite a bit of money into this motorhome, and I'm only 22 (well 23 in less than a month).

Fortunately, or unfortunately, my mind operates in a numbers way, and I can't justify putting all the money necessary to make this Barth safe into it at this point in my life. The main reason why I can't is that it just isn't the right point in my life. I’m begin to start my working career and I don’t foresee being able to make time off the truly enjoy the Barth. I would hate to do all the work and put all the money in this motorhome to just take it on one small trip and then let it sit. Something like tires, or brake lines, or fuel lines, have only so long of a life, and I can't justify spending the money to fix everything up no use it like it deserves.

So with that said, I changed my focus to preserving the Barth. I spent time ensuring things are all buttoned up and that all leaks are sealed. I check the antifreeze and topped it off. I basically looked over the Barth front to back and addressed any issue that I felt would make more problems in the long run.

My family doesn't mind me leaving the Barth where it is since I cleaned up and sold some of my other toys, so the Barth can sit there for another couple years until I feel the time is right and I can justify spending the money necessary and I know I will be able to fully enjoy the Barth.
Just to make sure there is no doubt in anyone’s mind, the Barth will NEVER be sold, and that is final!

I apologize if this post is a bit anticlimactic, but I felt it is my duty to update everyone on the current status of my project.

-Curtis

posted Hide Post
The best time to take road trips is when you are young! You will still be able to hike, climb, dive, or whatever the terrain calls for. You (probably) won't have small children to tend to.... and your friends also likely will have less responsibilities, and so their time may be more flexible.... just another perspective. H.

Posts: 17 | Location: CT | Member Since: 05-18-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Curtis H.
posted Hide Post
Great point! The only thing you don't have when you're young is the money!

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Curtis, as always, it's good to hear about you and 'Grandpa's Barth'. I understand fully about the need to start on your career, and spend your money wisely. What I would suggest is to get in the old girl (boy) once a month and take a "Sunday drive" of about an hour or so. Just make it safe, i.e., tires, brakes, and fix any fuel leaks. The Barth will like it and so will you.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Bump,
Curtis, are you still around lurking? How is the career and how is the Barth?

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
What a great story. I read the entire thread at 3am last night in a bout of insomnia.
I hope Curtis sends in a update. It's an inspiring story og family and determination. Let's hope the saga continues.
I think I'll go take Barth Vader for a drive.
Hank
1997 Barth Regal

Posts: 85 | Location: Athens ga | Member Since: 07-11-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post