Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Need Help with Grandpa's Barth - UPDATED 3-19-11
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Need Help with Grandpa's Barth - UPDATED 3-19-11
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum Curtis. I addition to Rusty and Bill H's sound advice I can only offer one additional thought.

Replace any rubber hose from the fuel pump to the carb [edit]with another steel line[/edit]

GM ran a direct metal tube to the carburetor, but too many times these have been changed to rubber because the line was damaged when removed to change the carburetor's filter.

I suspect this might have happened to their Barth. Although they changed out the pump, the line going to the carburetor was moved around.

http://barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9331087061/m/...711055603#8711055603

Please post some more pictures and keep asking for help, we're very willing to help you out. The offer by "Kris & Tina Jones" to help you out was very generous.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Just to underscore the importance of care when disconnecting the metal fuel line from the Q-Jet, I bent mine slightly when I had to replace the small filter in the Q-Jet. Even tho it did not appear to be cracked, I replaced it anyway. Better safe than sorry. The original metal tube is still available. It's a real pain to put it on but that's what son-in-laws are for.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The line from the fuel pump to the carb must be all steel. There is too much heat anywhere above the exhaust manifolds (or near them)for a rubber line. If the line has a problem, it will be up near the carb, and a new section can be spliced in with a compression fitting.

The rubber line between the frame and fuel pump should be replaced every few years. I recommend Goodyear fuel injection line, as it meets a higher standard and has a liner of a very durable compound. I get mine at Autozone. I wrap several layers of aluminum foil around it to give it a little more heat protection.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of rp's barth
posted Hide Post
do you know where to buy that steel line from the fuel pump to carb? I would like to replace mine but i could not find it. Thanks Richard

Richard & Robin
s7809 2539 MC27 FP3

• 1979 27'
  • 454 Chevy
  • P-32 Chassis

Posts: 298 | Location: Deltona Flordia | Member Since: 08-18-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
The line from the fuel pump to the carb must be all steel...
Of course "bill h" is correct, he said it better than I.

I've edited my statement to reflect the correct way I should have said it.

[edit]with another steel line[/edit]

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of Curtis H.
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for all your responses. I am so taken back by how generous everyone one this forum is.

Although it does look like I have a long road ahead of me, I'm more excited than ever to jump right in and start learning.

As far as pictures go, I'll be heading home for Thanksgiving this coming week, and my grandma promised me a bunch more, as well as an original brochure from the dealer when they had purchased it. As soon as I get them, I'll make sure to post them up here.

Again, thank you everyone for a great welcome!

PLEASE, keep the good advice coming, I can use all of it I can get!

-Curtis H.

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches but to reveal to him his own." Benjamin Disraeli

Posts: 99 | Location: Rochester, MI | Member Since: 10-08-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MalibuLx3:

it does look like I have a long road ahead of me,

-Curtis H.

Yes, but it will be a little shorter than with most other brands.

And, the shell and cabinetry will last forever, unlike most other brands. No dry rot, delamination, failing pukky-board, etc.

But the chassis and appliances are the same on similar coaches, so you will have no better or worse luck with them. It is likely that most Barth owners had a little more pride of ownership, so they are likely to have had better care in the past.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Hey,

Good luck with the Barth. If it was stored on dirt, I'd check out the frame too. I've been told that moisture can cause frames to rust out.

Rick

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Curtis H.
posted Hide Post
Hey Everyone!

Sorry it took me so long to respond, finals week is coming up here at school, so that's all that has been on mind lately.

Anyways

I saw my grandma over Thanksgiving and she gave he a big envelope filled with literature about the Barth. Not just the one they had, but all the different lines. Everything from original product brochures, to quotes on getting new front seats installed, including the fabric samples. There were also a list of all the options you could get your Barth equipped with. It was really neat so see how much somethings like a built in blender would cost! I didn't even know such a thing existed!

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches but to reveal to him his own." Benjamin Disraeli

Posts: 99 | Location: Rochester, MI | Member Since: 10-08-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
Good to hear from ya again Curtis...yeah those built in blenders were common for the Wanderlodge coaches but I did'nt know Barth offered them. This would be a cool thing to see on the site but would probably be a pain in the neck to post. Take care.

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Curtis H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kris & Tina Jones:
Good to hear from ya again Curtis...yeah those built in blenders were common for the Wanderlodge coaches but I did'nt know Barth offered them. This would be a cool thing to see on the site but would probably be a pain in the neck to post. Take care.

Unfortunately I didn't bring any of the literature back to school with me, I thought it would be a rather large distraction while I'm studying for finals.

But as soon as I get home for Christmas break, I'll definitely post some of the stuff my grandma gave me.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MalibuLx3:

But as soon as I get home for Christmas break, I'll definitely post some of the stuff my grandma gave me.

Yes, please do. We here are starved for factory information, so we sit around and guess a lot and make up stuff as to what is what. Smiler

Picture of Curtis H.
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone!

Well after a relaxing Christmas break, I'm back to the computer

Unfortunately, I did not have a chance to make to see the Barth. Weather just was not cooperating.

However my Grandma did send me some more pictures, and some of an old Class C Barth they had before the Regal, so I'll post those up here soon.

I also got a new scanner so I'll be able to scan some of the dealer brochures my Grandma gave me as well

I hope everyone is doing well and staying warm!

-Curtis

posted Hide Post
Hello Curtis & all:
Welcome to the Forum, Curtis. Please profit from
my experience. I have a 25' 1985 Regal that blew
a Lower Radiator Hose, shortly after I bought my
coach, and cooked the engine before I could get the coach stopped. I was doing 70 MPH on I696
near Farmington. Please replace all rubber hoses, especially the Rad hoses.

I will furnish Bill & all with the Part Numbers
of the steel Fuel Pump to Carb Pipe, as well as
others, when I return to Mich at the end of March
from Venice, Fl.

I'm sure, Curtis, that you have dual Fuel Tanks
like mine. The forward Aftermarket Fuel Tank needs to be inspected carefully for leaks. Mine
started leaking after only 55K miles, and it's
very difficult to remove.

I live in Harper Woods, MI, during the summer months, and will gladly help you in any way that
I can.

Best of luck, Jake Jacobson

Posts: 69 | Location: Harper Woods, MI, USA | Member Since: 05-06-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Curtis H.
posted Hide Post
Jake

It's always nice to see another Barth owner is the S.E. Michigan area.

I'll definitely make sure so replace the radiator hoses, when I'm doing all the fuel lines and everything else, being in college and all I certainly cannot afford a new engine!

Take Care

-Curtis