Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Source of Parts
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Source of Parts
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
In your posts you seem to suggest that there is only about 25 quarts of oil in the engine. My engine manual claims 35 quarts for my 8.3 and the for last three oil changes my bill has reflected 32 quarts plus filters. Do I have a different oil pan or is there an overcharge for oil happening?

My 8.3 turbocharged (turbocharger is oil-lubricated) intercooled 325 hp Cummins was mfg. in May 1996; the manual says "20 qts" OIL PAN capacity. The filter holds about 3 quarts; total: >23< quarts. I buy 6 gallons [24 qts) and have about a quart left after all is done. I fill it exactly to the "full mark" on the dipstick. The first, and every, time I changed it [9 times) I poured the used oil back into the new containers and it is about 22 qts. You may have a different [deeper?) pan; I doubt your filter is larger!!
You wrote "filters" - plural; do you have more than one? If so, that could be 3 more quarts.

Many folks aren't aware the Allison 3060 6-speed requires Dexron fluid change every two years - this is VERY important. Initial fill is 26 qts; Change is 18.5 quarts to about 24, depending on whether filters are changed, how much drains, etc.

10 years ago I went to Home Depot Garden Dept and bought a big plastic 12 gallon "bird bath/fish pond" tub: about 4' across and a foot deep. It is PERFECT for the oil drain: it catches both filter and pan at once and allows for Bill's "potty variation" and wind gusts; it is shallow enough it clears everthing underneath with plenty of wrench room, and when the pan plug falls into the warm oil one may fish it out easily. Aaaand: it doubles as an animal/bird watering hole for 6 months.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gunner:
I went to Home Depot Garden Dept and bought a big plastic 12 gallon "bird bath/fish pond" tub. It is PERFECT for the oil drain.
Nice... Wink

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post