Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Diesel virgin needs help
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Diesel virgin needs help
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I considered a Duramax (from a wrecked donor vehicle) with an Allison. The cost was in excess of $15K, and some of the earler Duramax had "issues" - a major one being the need to replace injectors @ ~$600 each.

I ended up with the drop-in AMG 6.5L TD - a major plus was NO electronics and a non-wastegated turbo.

The extra weight of the 3208 could be a serious consideration, because AFAIK, some of the MCC chasses are aluminum.

Contemporary engines (like those Gary suggests), while probably capable replacements, come with the baggage of complex electronics, which may require redoing dash instrumentation, in addition to revising the firmware to accommodate an RV.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I considered a Duramax (from a wrecked donor vehicle) with an Allison. The cost was in excess of $15K, and some of the earler Duramax had "issues" - a major one being the need to replace injectors @ ~$600 each.
I can attest to that. GM replaced 4 sets of injectors in one of my service trucks under warranty. 2003 GMC 5500

They stated that they have finally figured out what was wrong with them and has assured me that they will last another 100k miles now. They said this 2 other times too. Roll Eyes

The Duramax that you want allows you to change the injectors without removing the valve covers. I think that design change was around mid 2004.

This truck is currently retired... just sitting in my yard. Sad too - since GM went bankrupt and closed their HD truck division, my local dealership no longer sells these. I bought this so I could respond to GM calls - now my fleet is 100% Freightliner.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Doug,

In tech search type in;
8.2 engine gone? repair/repair?
this one is dated 10-06-2003 posted by Jim & Barb.

Also type in 8.2 thermostat
this one is dated 02-16-2005 posted by Jim & Barb.

These posts are about my 1985 Barth Regency when my engine water jackets spilt and destoryed my engine. While the early model 8.2 were prone to a heat problems I was told the later models were not that prone, however any engine is subject to prolong overheat problems. To be sure my replacement would not overheat I replaced my two thermostats with ones ten degrees cooler. The parts sales guy kept telling me the ones I wanted
were incorrect for the 8.2 however I bought them anyway and have not had any overheating problems.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post