Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Diesel virgin needs help
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Diesel virgin needs help
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
quote:
would it be a good idea to put a different engine

I guess that would depend on how deep your pockets are.... I also talked with Rick at Re-Man he quoted me 7k to rebuild plus 3k to R -n- R it.... I asked him about switching to a Cat 3208 and he said 20k would be a good starting point....
The problem with overheating (or any rebuilding) on the 8.2 is due to the fact of the heads and block being FLAT enough to go back together witout a problem shortly thereafter... The headbolts actually (when torqued properly) stretch the metal in the block and if not machined back to perfectly flat (BOTH head and block before reassembly) there will be a failure shortly after the rebuild.... Doug, are there currently any problems that you are aware of with your 8.2?

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
I have an 8V71 in my bus.

The rights to that engine (parts, maint. etc.) were sold to Penske along with every other diesel that Detroit (GM) Diesel made/designed EXCEPT the 8.2 which was thier only four stroke diesel... I dont know if Penske didnt want it or what, but it is the only diesel left (to my knowledge) that is still supported by GM... Everone knows a diesel mechanic but very few of those mechanics are firmilliar with the 8.2 and it's inherrent design challenges...

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also talked with Rick at Re-Man he quoted me 7k to rebuild plus 3k to R -n- R it.... I asked him about switching to a Cat 3208 and he said 20k would be a good starting point....

Isn't the Cat 3208 kind of in the same league? Non sleeved, a risk to rebuild?

If I repowered it would be hard to talk me out of whatever it took to get a Cummins in there.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The Cat 3208 is NOT in any way in the same league as the DD 8.2L. The only parallel is that it's a non-sleeved engine. It's a bona fide 500K mill, and a million miles is not out of reach.

It was designed for line haul tractors; it's just loafing in an RV.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This subject has been bantered around for some time on a number of forums and it always ends up a Ford/Chevy kind of discussion, but I'm pretty sure the 3208 was designed more as a cheap version of bigger Cat engines to satisfy the mid range applications, not so much the long haul truckers. In fact, it was developed along with Ford to satisfy Ford's need for a mid range, inexpensive diesel. I tend to not like things designed as "inexpensive".

I'm in agreement that it is a far better engine than the DD 8.2, but I still believe it is an equally far reach from the Cummins 8.3. If someone were to go to the great trouble and expense of re-powering, it would be foolish in my view to use the 3208.

Here is one diesel expert's write up on the history of that engine:

"Caterpillar produced the 1100 series V8, in a parent block, single compression ring, and single oil ring configuration. This was termed "low-friction" design. Early models had an in-line fuel pump, later models had a V-configuration fuel pump. Caterpillar sold these engines to many other OEM's, such as other truck builders besides Ford, farm tractor builders, and for marine, genset, firepump and industrial use. It was used in compactors, pavers and forklifts.

The industrial 3100 series followed, with improved design .. then the 3208 appeared around 1973, with more improvements, such as a turbocharged version. The greatest improvement was the major redesign of the 3208 that happened in 1981. Many parts were strengthened, oil pump and water pump were enlarged, conrods and wrist pin bearing were improved, three ring pistons were fitted. The engine was fitted to Cat construction equipement (225 excavator and 613 scraper).

The marine 3208's went out to 425HP, and proved quite reliable, with many boat owners still using them. The 3208 ceased production in 1999, when it reached the stage where it could not meet the new emission laws that were introduced in the early 21st century.

Many owners and users had a very poor opinion of the 1100/3100/3208 engines .. but they were designed as a light-to-medium duty engine, rated at 70,000 lbs maximum GVW or GCW in trucks, and they were put into applications where they were overloaded, and which resulted in spectacular engine failures. The most common cause of engine failure was broken conrods caused by excessive wrist pin bearing wear. Once a conrod let go at around 3000 RPM, the damage was usually extensive, and nearly always resulted in the engine becoming scrap."

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
One of my customers had 3208NAs in his (White, IIRC) tractors in 1971. The drivers really liked them. The prior engines were the Cummins 225 or 250s.

At the time, the 3208s were competing with the DD 6-71 (in some cases stupidly uprated to 318 HP), 8V71, and the Cummins 903. The market was ready to embrace newer designs. Cat's timing was good, as the DD 6-71/318 was suffering problems, as was the 903.

If there was a collaboration with Ford, it probably was for the "L" (Louisville) series of trucks and tractors.

But I agree that the best choice would be a C 8.3L; one from a wrecked donor could be overhauled relatively cheaply. Space available might limit the replacement to another V8, however.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Space available might limit the replacement to another V8, however.

That's a good point.

It's interesting that the boat guys often have a whole different viewpoint, but then they don't really have the cooling issues and they don't generally have to climb tall mountains with this air.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
There is a post by Les Hoagland where he discusses a 8.2 swap for a 3208 Cat.If IIRC I believe he talked about space requirements and also beefing up the frame to handle the extra weight. Can't find it right now.

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
I am just a "virgin" finding out how not to get into trouble Wink

I have no known problems but forewarned is forearmed.

Would this be of any use?

http://www.evanscooling.com/benefits/

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerald:
There is a post by Les Hoagland where he discusses a 8.2 swap for a 3208 Cat.If IIRC I believe he talked about space requirements and also beefing up the frame to handle the extra weight. Can't find it right now.
There are several issues that need to be addressed when doing a 3208 CAT engine conversion to a Barth Regency Coach.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
My 2 bits on the 3208. Having had a few long haul truck firms as clients, I have never heard of the 3208 in class 8 tractors. However, Cat made a big brother to the 3208, and it was called the 3408. A monster engine and a favorite in truck pulling contests, along with the DD 12V71.

Cummins also make a V8 (903) used in class 8 tractors.

To convert an DD 8.2 to a Cummins 8.3 would be a major because of length. You can get almost the same performance for a Cummins 5.9B with a shorter block. But, depending on engine compartment size, I might take a long look at the Navistar 7.3 or if I was really lucky the new 6.7L Ford.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's interesting that the boat guys often have a whole different viewpoint, but then they don't really have the cooling issues and they don't generally have to climb tall mountains with this air.

Maybe not the cooling issues with fresh water (surrounding water to the block) cooling but closed cooling (heat exchanger between block water and surrounding water)can be a little testy. Regarding the climbing tall mountains, we boaters with engines of that size don't really get on plane so we are always "going uphill", usually with two engines revving upwards of 1K rpm and converting 1 gallon of diesel to perhaps 1 mile of travel.
Go climb that mountain. Wink
I would be happy with the 3208

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
we boaters with engines of that size don't really get on plane

I'll lend you my Series 60 and you will get on plane ROTFLMAO

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
quote:
we boaters with engines of that size don't really get on plane

I'll lend you my Series 60 and you will get on plane ROTFLMAO

Be happy to, got a pair? ROTFLMAO

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
just wandering about a Turbo Duramax swap for the 8.2 D.D.
Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post