Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Doing One's Own Work on an RV
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Doing One's Own Work on an RV
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'll bet that gives visitors a double-take!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Ditto here, I do most of my own work.

Last "BIG" job was wrenching off the old cast manifolds and replacing with long tube headers and a balance pipe.

I also cut out the main 12v feeds for the chassis (old old, old fusible links) and replaced with easier-to-get-to 'large' blade fuses.

Put new covers on the vents, and basically did tighten this and that so far.

Getting ready to paint the nose cap this year.

Better an ugly Barth, than
a pretty Winnebago.

1987 Barth P-30 with 454
Former Hospital Board Room converted to coach by Barth in 1995.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I just finished replacing the turbo on mine - got caught with a couple of "mightswells" - might's well replace a couple of pieces of exhaust, while I was under there....

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I took the old Sharpe Convecion microwave out. It is in at a local shop to be fixed. Some of the push pads don't respond. We looked at new replacements but some don't fit without a lot of reworking of cabinetry and the old one was hardly used abd looks like new. It'll be easier and cheaper if they can fix it.
I will likely get at redoing the roof now before the weather turns rotten. I want to give it a good cleaning and recoat to stop the chalky residue from running down the sides after a shower. And of course, recaulk all the vents and such. Need 2 new MaxAirs too.
An ongoing job has been refinishing the insides of the outside storage compartments. Condensation has lifted the coating in spots and there is surface rust on the floors. I have removed the matting from floors and walls, sanded and wire brushed the rusty areas and repainted the interiors with light blue Rustoleum.
I bought a big roll of grey trunk matting to replace the old stuff but think I 'll just put it down on the floors and leave the walls bare. Looks nice on the ones I've done so far. I also need to replace the contacts on the compartment doors for the security system. Some are broken or have fallen off altogether. But that is further down the to-do list.
On a rainy day I'll spend more time antique waxing the interior wood. I use a beeswax compound that cleans the wood brings up the shine on those beautiful Barth cherry cabinets. Sure id a lot of wood on the inde of the coach.
There will be more stuff to improve or renew I'm sure and we are heading to Arizona after Christmas so we'll have to start prepping for that soon too.
Fun isn't it! Keeps me outta the bars at nite. Too tired!
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try a product like Briwax. It contains a mixture of two waxes, has a solvent in it that aids in the cleaning process, is very easy to work and will polish to a nice soft luster. Comes in different tints too if you need to cover a few scratches along the way. I use it on all of the walnut and cherry cabinets I build.

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the diameter of the heater hose on a 1985 Barth Regency with 8.2 Detroit diesel, and how many feet do we need?
Leaving for Georgia on Friday to pick her up... with tools and parts in the trunk...
We'll keep you posted.
Don and Susan

Posts: 16 | Location: Allegan, Michigan | Member Since: 02-21-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, someone can specifically answer.

Heater hoses are usually sized for the heater core - 5/8" is typical.

However, if a hose looks bad or is leaking, the best "quickie" on-the-road solution is to get a short piece to make the loop from the supply fitting (usually on or near the thermostat housing) and the return fitting (typically on the radiator or on a tee on the upper radiator hose). Then replace the hoses when you get home.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke