Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Doing One's Own Work on an RV
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Doing One's Own Work on an RV
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
Since I do most of my own work on my vehicles (except the Lexus), and rarely give it a second thought (I've been turning wrenches since around '55), it occurred to me that many Barth owners don't have the background, skills, nor inclination, to work on their own motorhomes.

In this past week I've replaced the reefer control panel and the 120VAC heater, replaced the serpentine belt with a Gatorback, replaced the air filter, and fixed a leak in the upper clamp of the lower radiator hose.

Last week, I removed a balky turbocharger and checked it and associated connections (oil supply and drain, exhaust output, and turbo inlet ducting and output for issues.

This got me to thinking, especially since my Breakway was scrupulously maintained by its prior owners, about how many Barthers are able to deal with repairs on their coaches. Since January, I've done this:

1/15/07 Replaced fresh water tank drain line and ball valve
1/16/07 New converter – Progressive Dynamics 9260C
1/16/07 Connected block heater – moved outlet, new pigtail
1/16/07 New CO detector in bedroom
1/16/07 Installed vent shade in bathroom
1/27/07 Replaced pyrometer with VDO complete system
2/8/07 Fixed leak in fresh water tank drain (fitting partially split) – added SS hose clamp and new elbow and aviation sealer, redid drain line
2/13-14/07 Ordered parts for used EV-4010 Honda genset.
2/18/07 Sewed and installed divider curtain.
2/27/07 Repaired left living room window blind tilt gearbox
2/27/07 Reconnected light for nav light flasher switch
3/3/07 Replaced front aisle light bulb
3/3/07 Installed new front CO detector
3/12/07 Repaired broken wire Basement Lights switch
3/16/07 Padded and secured oil cooler hoses
3/16/07 Bled RF brake, topped off fluid
3/16/07 Repaired broken A/C clutch wire (chewed by mice); checked A/C
~150 psi Hi, ~15 psi Lo
3/18/07 Repaired bad plug on A/C Clutch, brought A/C up to ~175 psi/~20 psi.
3/30/07 Replaced cigarette lighter. Repaired undersink door catches. Replaced and tested HW heater thermostat. Test ran EV-4010 ½ hour (10 minutes under 1/3 load). Repainted (Fusion Pewter) inside A/C shroud. Painted and installed 6-way outlet by recliner.
5/7/07 Test ran Honda genset ½ hour 2/3 load, 10 minutes 110% load. Radiator fan motor rotor hitting housing – replacing.
5/7-10/07 Shimmed table to level, refinished top. Installed folding laptop table at dash from old pedestal table top. Tested FW tank heat pad - OK. Again redid FW tank drain piping.
5/15/07 Summary of repairs/maintenance to Honda EV-4010:
1. Disassembled generator and removed from tray.
2. Removed engine from tray.
3. Had all rusted parts (tray, radiator mounts, engine/gen mounts, and control enclosure) sandblasted. Painted with three coats cold galvanizing spray, three coats epoxy paint.
4. Replaced engine oil pump cover gaskets/O-rings.
5. Replaced generator shaft bearing.
6. Reassembled, replacing rear (right front by Honda’s description) engine mount.
7. Test ran (on 5/7/07). Buzzing/vibration from cooling fan motor. Flushed cooling system
8. Removed radiator and pickled and repainted shroud and rusted steel mounting plates on radiator. Replaced radiator cooling fan motor.
9. Checked valve lash (OK)
10. Restored governor arm to specified config.
11. Replaced timing belt. Set inductive pickup to specs.
12. Test ran full load again (5/16/07) for ½ hour. Governor set and stable; voltage hunting + 1.5-2.0 VAC about 1-2 Hz
6/3/07 Secured Honda generator
6/4/07 Connected gas and electric6/5/07 Finished Honda exhaust system, installed fuel gauge. Put sewer drain hose holder back into place.
6/8/07 Finished Honda installation6/22/07 Cleaned transmission electrical grounds and terminal strip. Changed generator oil 34.6 hours, Shell SAE 30
6/23/07 Replaced reefer inverter. Installed DVD/VCR combo.
6/24/07 Made rack for Genturi pipes.
6/25/07 Added sound-absorbing mat to top of genset enclosure.
6/26/07 Added front covers for genset enclosure. Recharged engine A/C (again)
6/28/07 Installed Genturi pipe racks. Replaced dead bedroom ceiling fixture.
7/1/07 Installed rack for fuel additives. Repaired rip in screen door. Fixed Velcro closure on divider curtain.
7/2/07 Installed “birds” on black and grey water vents. Weatherstripped area around hall vent fan. Cleaned carpet.
8/1/07 Replaced insulation on A/C lines over turbo. Added foam sleeve to A/C lines at engine compartment edge. Cut out leak in air horn compressor. Sewed another rip in screen door.
8/4/07 Overhauled air system for horns. 5’ ¼” copper tubing for cooling coil, 35’ ¼” polyethylene, Tee, and new gage
8/6/07 Replaced heater hose ~18’ 5/8” (supply?) from “Y” to inlet valve. Tested A/C: 40/250psi @ 95F. No leak apparent...
8/9/07 Fixed reefer condensate drain
8/11/07 Replaced missing insulation on FW drain line. Installed “license plate” size cover for front opening from trailer hitch.
8/20/07 Replaced 2”x1” aluminum with 2”x1” steel channel sections for genset gaso tank. Installed check valve for genset fuel line. Changed genset oil/filter Shell 10W/30, 102.2 hours.
8/21/07 Chassis/Steering Lube Mobil Synthetic Grease 63,930 miles. A/C 35/235psi @95F (Cabin was 83F)
8/27/07 Replaced A/C run capacitor (PMS) 20u/5u 370V. Sealed suspected tiny leak at top center of windshield.
9/8/07 64,774 miles: Replaced brake master cylinder
9/18/07 Removed turbocharger. Replaced reefer control board.
9/19/07 Replaced reefer 120VAC heater
9/20/07 Replaced belt with Gatorback. Replaced air filter. Repaired leaking lower radiator hose (replaced upper clamp with constant-torque).

So I have begun to wnder how those without a mechanical background cope with the occasional thingy that the Barth throws their way. I occurs to me that it can't be easy maintaining a motorhome (even a Barth) without an ablity to deal with those minor issues that arise from time-to-time.

So what do you folks do?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
posted Hide Post
Smiler I do a fair amount of lurking here, more of it prior to my employer blocking access to most BBS like this on. I am humbled with the amount of work that you have completed this year alone! I have spent a huge amount of time rebuilding the guts of my 84 Regal this year and have yet to contract anything other that having a tires mounted on wheels (Walmart did it for 12 bucks a tire). I enjoy working on my own equipment, there is nothing better than listening to "country gold saturday night" on the garage radio while tearing apart or assembling something that is not working correctly. I also enjoy listening to MRN on Sunday afternoons while working outside on the Barth. Unfortunatly my commute and employment take away from the time I really need to have my coach looking as good as it currently runs. My wife and I have only used it twice so far for it's intended purpose, but I have had a ball getting it ready! So far I have:[LIST]
  • replaced all rubber brake lines,
  • removed and lubed all joints and sliders associated with the disk breaks on all four corners
  • break shoes (on the front)
  • bearings (front)
  • all oil and lubes,
  • Replaced master cylinder,
  • Pitman arm (got one of them safe steer dudes...great product...expensive though)
  • All belts,
  • air pump,
  • rebuild carb,
  • All hoses,
  • Painted all wheels and most of chassis,
  • installed electric booster fuel pump next to tank,
  • removed and replaced fuel tank three times,
  • replaced fuel level sending unit,
  • all fuel fill hoses,
  • rewelded, painted and lubed Onan generator racks,
  • relocated fresh water tank to passenger side to allow room for a spare tire under rear double bed,
  • re-plumbed most of the unit (quest fittings)
  • rebuilt the ruptured hot water heater (anyone need a neat looking aluminum tank with a big gash in it)
  • Re carpeted the unit,
  • r/r front seats with chevy leather electrics,
  • recovered the dash with grey marine vinyl,
  • redesigned dash to allow future removal w/o removing dash,
  • redesigned dash for new gauges and switches along with all the wiring (rats nest)
  • installed a speedo gear and cable,
  • reworked the Hydro leveler controls
  • installed new bearings on each one that had been distroyed by rolling off while down.
  • R/R most of the windows and re-sealed and insulated around the corners,
  • installed new sink in bath
  • raised the toilet to a comfortable height.
  • Installed a new A/C and two new vent assemblies
  • and a bunch of stuff I forgot I did... so yep, there are others that like to keep dirty fingers...

I hope to start a barth page on my web site soon..
    www.dougsgift.com

Doug Bywaters
    Near Skyline Drive Virginia!
  •  
    Posts: 101 | Location: Flint Hill VA | Member Since: 09-29-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Old Man and No Barth
    posted Hide Post
    I've been turning wrenches about ten years longer than Rusty, & my Barth list shows 75 items completed since Jan, 2004. If it were as detailed as Rusty's it would probably be double that number.

I've spent about $6000 out-of-pocket, about $1500 of which was service I couldn't perform myself, i.e. re-bearing rear axle, replace rear axle grease seals, replace refrigerator control panel, replace engine belts & alternator, etc. Much of that I would have done myself ten years ago, but age slows you down.

Some of those dollar expenditures were improvements, e.g. new awnings, some were to bring neglected maintenance up-to-date, & some were to repair fair-wear-and-tear during my ownership.

There's still cosmetic stuff that could be done in the nature of restoration, but the coach is clean, complete, usable as-is, & as reliable mechanically as I can make it.

It's currently for sale. If it isn't sold by the end of November, & our health permits, we'll take it down South again for the winter. I'll gas it up, air the tires, & go, expecting to arrive safely with no mechanical problems.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    "Host" of Barthmobile.com
    Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
    Picture of Bill N.Y.
    posted Hide Post
    My wife shakes her head when she see's some of these invoices we write up for repair work.

She says... "How would a normal person afford this?" and I say to myself "Imagine what this would have cost me if I sent this out"

I think that the vast majority of people can do the simple stuff. I know installing an awning wouldn't be considered simple for most but for me stuff like that is fun and challenging.

I have this saying... "You don't know, what you don't know, until you know. You know?" Wink

It's my way of saying that unless you're "Mechanically inclined" or have a knack for fixing stuff, you'll need a garage or a friend to help you.

I remember one guy on the site who needed help figuring out how to bleed his brakes. What a mess, but, he was trying. In that case, his lack of knowledge was a danger to himself and everyone around him.

Rusty has been turning wrenches longer then I have been alive. Some things are better off with a professional. Other things you should try to do on your own.

To date.
    • gut and redo the entire interior: 6+ months
    • replace both rear quarter panels
    • parking brake prop repair
    • drivers side vent window
    • lite body work
    • compartment door replacements
    • tune up
    • oil & filter changes
    • remove and replace the master cylinder
    • remove & replace hoses and belts
    • remove & replace water pump
    • headers and complete exhaust replacement
    • normal repairs to wiring
    • remove & replace tires
    • remove & replace wheel bearings
    • 3 roof vent motor replacements
    • remove & replace alternator
    • remove & replace batteries
    • generator repairs: exh, filters, tune-up etc.
    • install steps
    • install an awning
    • install a ladder
    • chrome covers on the wheels
    This list could go on and on... it's a never ending love affair so it really doesn't seem like work to me.

If I went to a rally I'm sure my Barth couldn't hold a torch to what some members have. I have a list of things that'll never get done. I need major body work in the upper right rear corner that'll probable never get done. Even with all of these upgrades and the initial purchase price of dirt I would have a hard time breaking even.

Notice how there are no dates.
    I don't track this stuff for fear that the wife would add it up one day. Big Grin

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
    8908 0128 40RDS-C1
    L-10 Cummins
    Allison MT647 Transmission
    Spartan Chassis
    Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
    9102 3709 33S-12
    Ford 460 MPFI
    C6 Transmission
    Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
    posted Hide Post
    When in Yuma where my tools are located, I do all my own work. If on the road and need something I have to pay someone to do it.

My theory is that manufactures build product with the lowest common denomiator of people. If those folks can build it I can fix it.

I been fixing things since I was ten yers old. Being an old farm boy we fixed everything ourselves so nothing mechanical really scares me. Then I was trained in electronics and spent years in the field. So that takes care of almost anything electic (tronic). And finally you have plumbing which is really simple stuff.

I listed most of the things I had done in another forum under "Almost a rebuild".

I have a few major things to do such as new brake pads, spring bushings and transmission replacement.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
    5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
    2000 Allison
    Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
    posted Hide Post
    I also grew up on a farm and was wrenchin' at a very early age, (before 1954 but I won't say by how much :+)) we did all of our own repairs on everything mechanical/electrical. In later life I was an electrical engineer and was an applications engineer for semi-conductor and LED manufacturers, finished my engineering career designing power supplies and UPS systems. Until I retired I was a trouble-shooter for the manufacturing industry in Asia.

I have posted most of my efforts on the Barth at my website (I am not a web guy so it is not well managed!) and have a paper that I keep fairly up-to-date on the repairs / "improvements" I have made since day "one"! The only work I didn't do was to re-charge the dash A/C.

Feel free to browse!

MWrench/barth

Repairs/improvements

One day I will get around to digging out all the receipts for the material that I bought in pursuit of these repairs but not sure I want to see them!

Ed
    94 30' Breakaway #3864
    30-BS-6B side entry
    New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
    Allison 6 speed
    Spartan chassis
    K9DVC
    Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
    Formally known as "Humbojb"
    Picture of Jim and Tere
    posted Hide Post
    Of necessity, I sort of fly by the seat of my pants. With the help of several people on this site, I can usually figure out what is wrong. Fixing it sometimes is another thing. Like the time the batteries were draining and it turned out to be the alternator. I got it out but the son-in-law had to put it in. Or the filter in the carb. I got it out but bent the fuel line. Son-in-law came to the rescue. The generator was another thing. I cleaned the carb, new gaskets, still wouldn't run. Cummings had to install a new carb--$275 plus labor plus plus plus. Brakes--that's out of my area. Had to shell out almost $1000. Currently will tackle the awning that came loose from the channel holding it to the Barth when the spouse ran into the support poles with the zero turn mower. I know I can get it apart but putting it back together? I'll learn. Wish I had the time/energy/knowledge to do what some of you guys do. Fortunately, the previous owner, Jon Bourke kept it in good mechanical condition and I haven't had too may problems. Still can't figure out where all those wires go from the thing that's supposed to boost the voltage to the distributor. And then there's the heater that squeals like heck. Think maybe I should go with electric heaters? Upward and onward.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
    29' Chevy 454 P32
    8411 3172 29FP3B
    Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
    Captain Doom
    Picture of Rusty
    posted Hide Post
    It's evident from others' posts that we all share the reality that maintaining a motorhome (even a Barth) is an ongoing endeavor, rarely crowned by a feeling of "It's finally done!" ("It ain't a destination, it's a trip!")

I once totted up what labor costs would have been on those things I've messed with myself, and it was over $9K, not to mention the inconvenience of trotting the Barth to the local RV dealer (which is very, very good) or repair shop (also very good). It's made me really appreciate the efforts and expenses that other motorhome owners must endure to keep their coaches in primo condition.

And it also serves as a refresher about buying a used motorhome, in that many would have things unrepaired (or undiagnosed) because the owner isn't mechanically inclined nor aware.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
    In either case the idea is quite staggering.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Glassnose Aficionado
    Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
    Picture of Danny Z
    posted Hide Post
    I also do most of my own work, and being a drywaller [among other things] by trade I decided to completely remodel the inside of the Euro in a more up-to-date style. The logistics of putting all my ideas into the living area of a non-slide coach proved challenging, but as you can see by this mid project photo, I was able to accomodate my ideas quite nicely. Big Grin

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I guess only a Barth could support a slide like that one! Smiler

I've finished drywall for myself, family and a house down in Gulfport while on a mission trip and I have to say that is a job best left for a professional. No one will be hurt if it is done poorly....but you can't cover that kind of ugly with paint...

Great looking job! how many coats until it's done?

Doug Bywaters

Posts: 101 | Location: Flint Hill VA | Member Since: 09-29-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Glassnose Aficionado
    Picture of Danny Z
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks Doug, In reality this was a personal house for a contractor that we did about 70 houses a year for until this year, so we polished it up pretty nice. It takes about 3 more good licks to get it ready for texture, or about 5 for slick finish. If you do it right you don't have to do much sanding. I've got 30+ years into this trade so I guess I do it right.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I guess what you are saying is if one knows what they are doing with the white stuff they won't end up looking like the guy, in the picture link, below....

and keeping with the thread, I also installed new springs and air bags on the front of my Barth this year..

Picture Link

Doug Bywaters

Glassnose Aficionado
    Picture of Danny Z
    posted Hide Post
    Come on folks! I was trying to inject a little humor. Don't stop posting what you've done. We all like to see what can be accomplished with a little homegrown ingenuity.

79 Barth Classic

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
    Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
    Picture of Bill N.Y.
    posted Hide Post
    Danny, why don't you show us your "Faux Brick Work" that really is, inside of your Barth.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
    8908 0128 40RDS-C1
    L-10 Cummins
    Allison MT647 Transmission
    Spartan Chassis
    Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
    9102 3709 33S-12
    Ford 460 MPFI
    C6 Transmission
    Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Glassnose Aficionado
    Picture of Danny Z
    posted Hide Post
    Here's a little of the "brick" and the newer "high" commode and bath tile.

And another.

79 Barth Classic