Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Mag-Hytec has replacement pans for transmissions...
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Mag-Hytec has replacement pans for transmissions...
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
Rusty wrote on 03-25-2008 08:45 PM
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...061/m/8711055603/p/2

QUOTE:/ Mag-Hytec has replacement pans for transmissions with more capacity and baffles/fins for much better cooling. I put one on my 4L80E; on long uphills in summer, I've never had the tranny temp get above 205°F - usually runs around 170°F. One convenience is that it's drilled and tapped for a temp sender.

http://mag-hytec.com/products.htm

So what was your overall final impressions of their products??

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2589 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Very pleased - I also have the differential cover, which adds about 1 qt. extra capacity; like the tranny pan, it's finned and designed for extra cooling. On my pusher, the Dana 80 is flipped, so I made a dipstick to check the level.

The tranny pan has a drain plug, a convenience. It does require a filter with extra depth, but it's readily available.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
I can't remember the name of the transmission pan I had on my 1987 Chevy custom made van. It had a great design in the fact it had air tubes running through it, plus being finned.
That van was custom build by GM for a guy that retired from them. It had oversized alternator,
oversize radiator, oversize oil pan, extra heavy duty shocks. We put 187000 on it before we sold it and it is still running around town.

Wish I could remember the name of that tranny pan because it was a great design having air go through the pan.

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
A bit of thread drift, but Derale makes trans pans with air cooling tubes, but no fins.

See here: http://derale.com/products/tra...on-pans/cooling-pans

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that you want the oil to run at the temp of the coolant, like 185-210 degrees (higher temp is for the newer engines with the newest air pollution equipment) and regulate expansion and contraction of the metal components inside the engine. The oil is designed for this - Rusty?, and my diesel runs at 180 to 190 all the time. What is the benefit of washing the engine with lower temp fluids when the best performance is going to be when it is stable throughout the system?

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You are correct for the engine oil, but the transmission fluid can get a lot hotter than that. With heavy load on a hill the fluid leaving the torque convertor can be well over 300 degrees. This is why the trans coolers become important.

180 is great if you can keep it there. Too cool is not good either, 160-180 is ideal.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post