Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dick and Bev and no Barth
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
The last picture is of the firemen trying to get the baggage door open. That compartment was where I had 2 plastic tool boxes full of tools, a paper box with misc stuff and a pair of new coveralls, along with 2 new batteries. When they got the door open, the only damage was the back of one tool box had melted a little. I picked them up by the handle, along with the paper box and coveralls, all of which were undamaged, and put them in the car.

We travel with 3 English Springer Spaniels. When we started to leave the campground, they would not get in the coach with me, but got in the car with my wife. They always ride with me. Did they sense something? If so, I wish they had told me.

Posts: 24 | Location: Summersville, WV 26651 | Member Since: 02-11-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick & Bev WV:
We travel with 3 English Springer Spaniels. When we started to leave the campground, they would not get in the coach with me, but got in the car with my wife. They always ride with me. Did they sense something? If so, I wish they had told me.

Could they have smelled gasoline fumes?

As Bluegrasser, you probably know "Daddy, don't go to the mine today"

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Folks: Please don't lose faith. You have our prayers with you.....

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Dick and Bev,
Take a look at this Barth. A little less than you paid for the other one.
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A "32'" Breakaway at a very attractive price - even with the normal modicum of skepticism, it sounds like a good deal.

But looking at the photos, I'd bet it's a 30'.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Oh my, how sad an event. Glad you got out with out injury. I know the joy I have had with my nearly identical Barth. I will check the fuel lines when the snow gets gone, (this summer).

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If this thread saves one coach, person, pet or accident, it will be worth the pain of losing our coach. Please, everyone check their hoses and belts, N O W

Posts: 24 | Location: Summersville, WV 26651 | Member Since: 02-11-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick & Bev WV:
If this thread saves one coach, person, pet or accident, it will be worth the pain of losing our coach.
Dick and Bev,

While nothing I can say will bring back your coach. I do want to tell you not to give up on your dreams of owning a motorhome. All of us are just passing thru, in this thing called life. and before you know it...

What am I trying to say? You should try again. What doesn't kill you will make you stronger and wiser. If you are turned off by the Barth brand, I understand. But, do chase your dreams.

You are always welcome to post here no matter what happens. I hope you keep us informed as to the final outcome and how your insurance company treated you. Please leave feedback and let us know what happens, if anything, with Ebay.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill
I have left a negative feedback with E-bay. Will keep you up to date on the insurance outcome. You all have been a great help with this. Even though it was tough to see it go up in flames, it may have been the best thing. We feel really blessed to have escaped injury or worse with the first break down when we lost brakes and steering, and then with the fire. Still looking at Barths, but my wife does not want anything to do with an RV yet. Thanks again.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of izomage
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure this is the best time to talk about buying another coach. I only know if I had bid on, and won, that auction, it would now be my photos on this page, and the last thing I would be thinking about, or want to think about, is my next motor coach. The way this couple came forward with their story, a tragedy really, tells me they are solid, well grounded, and will be just fine with a little distance from this event. I think they are very generous to offer up this painful experience in the hope it may help their fellow Barth enthusiasts.

This might be a good time for one of our talented and eclectic, mechanical, hydraulic and electric gurus to offer up a checklist of absolutely "must do" items for use by anyone about to pick up a 20 year old motor-coach . Number one on my list is now: Check fuel delivery system from its source to the engine. Look for any rubber or plastic hoses and replace, even if they look good, or are only two inches long. If such a checklist already exists maybe it can be appended to this thread.

Posts: 57 | Location: Severna Park, Maryland | Member Since: 08-12-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I had a fuel pump begin to fail on my boat. This was an older style that did not have the return from above the diaphram routed to the carb. The result was a mist of gas going into the bilge, very not good. Fortunately I was checking the engines regularly at the beginning of the trip and caught the problem while it was only a problem. I don't know if all newer pumps vent the diaphram to the carb but it made a believer of me. Soon switching to electric pumps with an interlock to the oil pressure switch and a momentary switch for starting.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
When we lived up in the mountains of central Az. a few years ago i was talking to a fireman about all of the burn marks along the hiway between Mesa and Payson, (as many as 28 just on the N. bound side) and he said that quite a few of them were motorhome fires. They suspected that what caused them was fuel lines that were rubbing on something and wearing a hole in them and leaking on the exhaust. Lots of climbing on that road which may have been part of the problem...ie: hotter engines and exhaust and gravity making loose lines come into contact with different parts of the body and frame. Food for thought.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Ed, some motor home fires are the result of an overheated trans forcing its fluid up and out the dipstick tube onto hot exhaust plumbing. This is most likely to occur when climbing.

Trans temp gages are handy for more than one reason. Synthetic tranny fluid runs cooler and has a higher flash point, too.

Also climbing-related..........glycol anti freeze is flammable when it hits a hot manifold. An engine is more likely to overheat when climbing in AZ, and could leak a little coolant.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
We would also like to add our condolences on this sad event. It could of been worse and fortunately no one was hurt. Our thoughts are with you and we hope you will eventually get another Barth.
Don and Patty ... in Liberty Texas and headin home.

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trans temp gages are handy for more than one reason. Synthetic tranny fluid runs cooler and has a higher flash point, too.

Mag-Hytec has replacement pans for transmissions with more capacity and baffles/fins for much better cooling. I put one on my 4L80E; on long uphills in summer, I've never had the tranny temp get above 205°F - usually runs around 170°F. One convenience is that it's drilled and tapped for a temp sender.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post