Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dick and Bev and no Barth
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
I can sure feel for Dick and Bev.Just thank the Lord that no one got hurt. A few years ago I had a SOB blow the seal out of the tranny and dump the oil on the exhaust pipe just 1 mile from home. We got it out but still quite a ordeal. My insurance paid to fix everything but the tranny, said they didn't pay for what caused the fire.Hope things work out for you.

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Creepy Cawler:
I had a SOB blow the seal out of the tranny and dump the oil on the exhaust pipe just 1 mile from home. We got it out but still quite a ordeal.

Was it, by chance, the front pump seal on a TH400?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I'm getting depressed. Leaking hoses, flammable everything, out of round clamps. I think I'll get two horses and a Conestoga wagon. Then hope that the Indians let us alone.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Jim and Tere, have you priced hay and horse shoes lately? lol

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ray:
Jim and Tere, have you priced hay and horse shoes lately? lol

Farriers are not cheap, either. You know something is not quite right when your farrier shows up in a better truck than yours.

And manure cleanup and disposal are becoming hot issues in many communities. Oh, yeah. Flies. Neighbors who do not keep horses complain. Neighbors who clean up better than you will complain. And many horses get fractious and hard to handle if not ridden almost daily. Smiler

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that is a large animal vet, he told me that Valley Protien use to carry off your dead cow for free...now they charge to cover the transportation cost.

It is still cheaper than the backhoe visit.

Doug Bywaters
Near Skyline Drive Virginia!

Posts: 101 | Location: Flint Hill VA | Member Since: 09-29-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
My SOB fire was a 440 mopar with I think the trany was a 747 Can't remember much but still no all the problems Broke a crank on the NY truway at 19108 mi.towed it home pulled motor out and had it reworked with steel crank dif. pistons, dif.cam. ran good till Trany problems at 25560..Sold at 25590 . real money pit!

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry to hear about the motorhome blaze. I am glad the both of you are fine but a bit shaken. Is this the same motorhome that I was bidding on ebay with the bars on the windows? Again, I stopped bidding towards the end but had the bid for a long time. I talked to Bill about this motorhome and decided to calm my bidding down and lost the bid. I did not have a bad feelings about this one as I did with the Barth in PA. Looking at the pictures makes me ill for you. What a horrible situation to be confronted with but happy to hear that no one injured was injured. Hope everything turns out OK for you both. Life is more important than losing a toy.

Posts: 6 | Location: colorado | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I regret to say that I know about horses. We live on our daughter's horse farm and my job is to take care of the horses and fields. Square bales went from around $3.00 to $9.00 last fall due to the drought. We use a manure spreader to take care of the poop. And the nice thing about a horse is when it gets old and decrepit, you just shoot it and put it in the ground. Unless you are insanely emotional about things in which case you spend thousands keeping it alive. Sort of sounds like a Barth.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
And the nice thing about a horse is when it gets old and decrepit, you just shoot it and put it in the ground.

So far, at least, it has been easier on me, at least emotionally, to get rid of an old vehicle, than an old animal.

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean. My problem is that I can't 'put down' either!!
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that i was told 30-40 years ago that it was illegal to bury a horse or cow in King County, Wa. You had to call the rendering works and have them come get it.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
But this is east Tennessee.and these ol' boys do pretty much what they want to.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
Seems to me that i was told 30-40 years ago that it was illegal to bury a horse or cow in King County, Wa. You had to call the rendering works and have them come get it.

quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
But this is east Tennessee.and these ol' boys do pretty much what they want to.

"If a tree falls in the forest................."

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I feel for you folks going through this horror. It must be doubly difficult to go through such an ordeal just after the excitement of buying a new toy.

This might be a good time to bring up the difference between Gas and Diesel as it relates to Motorhome safety. Although both fuels are certainly flammable, diesel takes a lot more energy to ignite and tends not to explode as a gas leak may. One other benefit to diesel is the fumes are not as dangerous as gasoline if they get into the living area. This is why even small inboard boat engines are diesel if the boat is going far off shore. Not so easy to get away from your boat when burning! It is also a factor in why all modern commercial busses are now diesel.

One final note, because gas engines are usually up front and diesels in the rear, it can have a dramatic effect on how the plumbing for exhaust, fuel, coolant, and others are run. Take all this into consideration when you wonder why a diesel pusher is twice or more the price of a gas rig.

Just something to think about.

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post