Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Tile Flooring advice
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Tile Flooring advice
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
One of my plans is to redo the floor tiles on my Barth. The floor tiles in there held up great - I found no instances of cracked grout or damaged tiles from flexing. There are a few broken tiles from things dropping on them and my wife wanted to tile the entire floor.

Right now the floor is half carpet and half tile. Center Bath with tile around the sink, toilet and shower drivers side. Carpet at the center walkway and in the 2 closets.

What size tile would you use for this? I'm of the belief that smaller tiles would be better for flexing issues

What type of grout would you use? To me, it looks like regular grout and not caulk.

Of course, I could avoid the whole tile scenario and go with a piece of linoleum... But, my wife expressed interest in tile, so I'm seeking knowledge from someone who has "Been There, Done That" in an RV.

1990 Barth Regis 40' Widebody
8908-0128-40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647
Spartan Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
The main concern here is the mastic used to hold the tile down. I've seen an underlayment used in houses that peel and sticks to the floor, then the proper mastic is used to set the tile. They say this eliminates any cracking due to settling, especially in the upper floors, so it seems like a good idea for a coach app. I used 2" squares in my coach bath, directly on the wood, and it's held up fine with no cracking at all, but it's a reletively small area. I'd go to a real tile store,[not Homey], and pick their brains about the underlayment and anything else they have to say.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill, Been there - done that...Here's my two cents:

1. If the subfloor is clean & flat, with no need to correct defects by flashing-in w/ thin set, I recommend you look at Bondera....basically, double sided adhesive sheet stock...faster/easier than mastics. Mine has
gone through 5 years & 8k miles without a problem. FMI: http://www.bonderatilematset.com/ Note: Mfg says NOT to use on floors - I did anyway nono

2. Latex fortifier, blended into joint grout mix, will give grout lines added strength & density, but more importantly it enhances flexural strength, thereby reducing grout cracking. Comes in bottles, looks like
no-fat milk. Caveat: Sticks like crazy, so stay ahead of it during grout wipe-down (i.e.: constantly rinse
out sponges & rags as you go.)

3. Square tiles in stacked-bond pattern appear to be less prone to flex-cracking. Avoid running bond patterns and/or rectangular tiles w/ larger length-to-width ratios. Straight-through, uninterupted grout lines take stress better & reduce chances of tile cracking.

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
What kind of mileage do you get with all that brick?

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/10
Picture of Reado
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill...Have you considered this product..
http://www.schluter.com/4087.aspx
It really works as a decoupler. I've used it
in a home bathroom reno. Very flexy floor. 5 yrs and not a cracking problem.

Posts: 60 | Location: Agassiz, BC Canada | Member Since: 07-19-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
What kind of mileage do you get with all that brick?

Danny has fake brick, but it looks realistic (and great!)

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I highly recommend you use the latex thin-set with epoxy grout. I used this on my 150 year old house up north in the carriage house that heaved with frost every year. Never an issue. I've seen demonstrations where the tile is set on a piece of thin luan and bent almost in a circle with no separation or cracking. Of course, the smaller the tile the better as it won't bend at all. I would suggest 12" tile or less. To small might look busy.

Another great product is cork. There are many awesome patterns, not at all like the cork-board look.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post