Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Winterizing the tanks
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Winterizing the tanks
 Login now/Join our community

<Terry B>
posted
New to the forum & new to Barths. I saw an ad mentioning that the tanks were winterized. Being from Calif, what does that mean? Also, what a great site this is. I'd be lost without it.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum, Terry. Got a Barth? Tell us about it. Got a picture?

By the way, we are all very serious here.

And how cold does Camarillo get? Winterization is for where it freezes.

Not to worry.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited November 13, 2003).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Terry B>
posted
My Barth is a 79 21 footer, 350 and just too cool looking. Planning to put in 4k generator. Looking for a used unit now. Also am about to purchase alcoas (or clones).
Camarillo averages 72 degrees with swings of 20 degrees in winter and summer.
But I do plan to spend some time in nebraska soon. I hear it may get a little cooler there.

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Having grown up in Oxnard and a proud Hueneme Viking of 1966, and proud to say, kicked Camarillo's can for about 4 years straight. Welcome Terry..... I remember spending nights on the beach by the jetty (never did know how to spell jetty) because it was a school night I was sleeping on the beach.....and when it got really cold we would throw a towel over the cold parts... No winterizing needed. Hey Terry how fast you take that baby up the Conejo Grade?

------------------
"Work hard and save, so that someday you can support those who didn't"

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SERIOUS....???

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Welcome!....A '79-21 footer....awesome!....I sometimes get the feeling that alot of the friendly folks here have coaches with more floor space than my house, so it's great to hear from another "shorty" of the "vintage" era......(Don't know about CA, but in MD I'm running 25yr Historic Vehicle tags for $13/yr - no daily transportation & no for-hire use are the only limits....)

A '78....That means, like the sun, a lighthouse, a searchlight, your flashlight and other things of symetrical beauty, it's got those gorgeous, Natural-Order-of-Things ROUND headlights!...

I've got a pretty complete set of appliance manuals & parts #'s - Holler if I can help.

Lee
'78-24' (By VINs, a '78 chassis & '79 coach, but don't tell DMV.....!)

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Terry B>
posted
I went through that fiasco. Mine is a 78 chassis with 79 coach. Made it interesting during my smog check. I've had a couple of rv's and love the 21'er. It's small, but it's used for short trip camping, weekend fishing, and get-a-ways for us two & the beagle. I flew to Illonis(sp)to purchase mine sight unseen from the Barretts just 6 months ago (I wanted one bad)

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
But seriously, folks, let's get back to winterizing here. Our subject train seems to have jumped the track. I purposely didn't respond to the issue because I have only a small amount of experience winterizing, since I do it only once a year.

And, believe it or not, I like to restrict my posts to areas in which I have some knowledge or experience. My post on light wave theory has subjected me to such heinous ridicule and disapprobation that I will no longer attempt to enlighten this board with further research findings in the area of quantum physics.

But seriously, folks, I found this in my bookmarks. It is pretty good:

http://www.rverscorner.com/winterize/

My 84 has a bunch of drain valves going through the floor where the pump is mounted.

There is another way, too. Compressed air is blown in through the city water inlet and the faucets and drains are opened one by one until all water is gone. The big question here is, "how much water is inside the pump head?" With the anti freeze method, you know you are safe.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
This year I blew out the lines with air for the first time. The fellow who owned the coach just before me had put a T in just after the city water inlet on the inside of the coach and then attached a 3 foot piece of hose with a valve stem on the end. I hooked up my air compressor after making sure that the max pressure was set at 40 psi. I could not believe how much water blew out of the faucets, toilet and even the drain on the water heater. I then left the compressor on and walked away for about an hour. I am convinced this is the best and cleanest way of winterizing. This is the way I will do it in the future. By the way I then went around and filled all of the traps with RV antifreeze.

------------------
"Work hard and save, so that someday you can support those who didn't"

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited November 16, 2003).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
This might be overly cautious, but I would let the pump suck a little anti freeze.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
What kind of anti-freeze is tv antifreeze? in Dave's post

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HankWadley
posted Hide Post
Bill, Not overly cautious to have the pump suck a little RV antifreeze. I've winterized my Breakaway for years using the compressed air method. Only problem I ever had was the water pump head blew out one year...turns out the air doesn't go through the pump on mine...but I'll bet you already knew that.

Regarding "TV Antifreeze", I suspect that's "RV Antifreeze" with a one-key finger check on the keyboard.

Posts: 58 | Location: Pell City, Alabama, USA | Member Since: 04-12-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Good info, Hank.

How about a tee in the line from the tank to the pump inlet? And a shut off valve between the tank and the tee.

Then, compressed air could be blown into the tee, through the pump, and out to all the fixtures.

Oh, good. Another project.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited November 16, 2003).]

posted Hide Post
After draining the system and by-pass the water heater I just put 2 or 3 gals RV antifreeze in watertank run pump open each outlet till antifreeze is coming out then close.

Posts: 63 | Location: Winona Lake, IN | Member Since: 04-18-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Terry B>
posted
Thanks Bill H. I've printed out the painless winterizing process for my Barth binder for later reference. Be prepared...