Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Winterizing the tanks
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Winterizing the tanks
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
Don't forget to make SURE you "blow out" the flushing valves on the John, 'cause that is an area that freezes easily... lots of small passage surfaces exposed to cold air, etc. really, the only way to get this is to blow it out with compressed air or make SURE it's "running pink" with RV antifreeze...

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HankWadley
posted Hide Post
Bill H...
I thought about doing that when I replaced the water pump head, but I really like to remove and flush the inlet filter while I'm winterizing anyway, so the "T" method wouldn't save any time/mess. I flush by connecting my Barth-supplied air fitting through a regulator into my fresh-water extior connection. That air is clean, filtered and dried so it imparts no off-flavor. After the blowing out, I attach an antifreeze supply line directly to the water pump inlet (while the filter screen housing is removed anyway) and suck up a minimum of antifreeze to protect just the pump head. I don't like to put much antifreeze in, 'cause momma swears 6 months later she can still taste it if I do...and I think she may be right.

Posts: 58 | Location: Pell City, Alabama, USA | Member Since: 04-12-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
For anti freeze just for the pump, use a little gin. It imparts a pleasant taste to the water system.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey bill h, you mentioned the drain valves in your pump compartment.......did you find the ones under the sink? I assume these are for the water heater. (Note here for the anal retentive {I won't mention any names, Dale}, that I did not use the term "hot" water heater). :-)

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ron, I did notice that. You is sooooo smart. Maybe we should ask Bill h. IS IT CALLED COLD WATER BECAUSE THE HOT HAS BEEN SUCKED OUT, OR IS IT HOT WATER BECAUSE THE COLD HAS BEEN SUCKED OUT? Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
"did you find the ones under the sink?"

My wife finds the drain valves under the sink about twice per trip. They need guards over them or something.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Once the water system is drained, by-passed, blowed� out, and RV-antifreezed, what happens in the 'water-heater' from the motor-aid heating system? No shutoff on it that I can find, will all that warmth from the engine running cause a problem to an empty tank?

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Gee Jack,
i've been wondering the same thing! however this is our third winter and no problems so far. well there was the problem we had before i found the infamous drains under the floor pan in the bathroom vanity.
mike

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
OK, What drains are they, the only ones I've found are in the rear pump area under the curb side twin bed, with the fresh water storage tank.

"before i found the infamous drains under the floor pan in the bathroom vanity"

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Jack, i'm sure not all barths are the same but under the wood floor panel of my bathroom vanity are two shutoff (drain) valves. 1 is hot 1 cold. drain tubes go straight down and out. come out near the inside of the frame. almost impossible to see unless you know where they are. howd i know? mine froze up one winter and it took me weeks to find these little suckers. even took the bedroom floor up to find the leak. finally found that it never leaked into the coach, just outside on the ground and down the frame. drip-drip-drip. close already but it almost drove me nutsier. Smiler hope this is explained in an understandable way, if not holler!
mike

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ yrs of active membership"
posted Hide Post
About that "running pink" with RV antifreeze.
The first year, we couldn't figure out why the new-to-us Barth was taking so much pink stuff. Pumped and pumped and not getting anything pink out of kitchen faucet? DUH! We have a water filter! It takes the pink color out of the antifreeze. We wasted a LOT of antifreeze. Just another thing to remember when the wind is howling, and snow flakes falling.

Posts: 34 | Location: Michigan, USA | Member Since: 08-10-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HankWadley
posted Hide Post
Bill H.,
Thanks you four da tip 'bout the gin. I tryed, unt it tasts mooch more betta den da pink stuf I was oosin. I iz now winterized alla my naybors coachs too, unt I feels soooo happy and gud all ova.

Posts: 58 | Location: Pell City, Alabama, USA | Member Since: 04-12-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
LOL, Hank, at least you have an excuse for mispelling.

But I was quite serious about the gin. the amount used to clear the pump is small, and gin seems to make the water a little more better tasting then vodka. The first time I did it, I added some food coloring to know when the gin was completely through the pump. It takes only a few ounces.

Folks who live WAAAAY up North should use Everclear, as it has a higher alcohol content. A drop of juniper oil should give it that fresh taste.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Thought I would share with all the members, my wife, Donna's idea on how you winterize your Barth.

She said it is real simple. You fill up the fuel tank and drive far enough south to where it doesn't freeze. Sounds like a plan to me.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally attributed to Donna Cagle:
"You fill up the fuel tank and drive far enough south to where it doesn't freeze."
Sounds like one smart woman Nick Cool

BTW Nick, did you realize that you responded to a post that was 4 years and 4 hours old?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post