Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Winterizing the tanks
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Winterizing the tanks
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
BTW Nick, did you realize that you responded to a post that was 4 years and 4 hours old?

I had done a search on winterizing and that forum came up.
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
BTW Nick, did you realize that you responded to a post that was 4 years and 4 hours old?
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:
I had done a search on winterizing and that forum came up.
Nick
Well, it is relevant... It's not like something new has been discovered to make this post obsolete.

I try to read every post and this one sounded old. When I quickly looked up I was surprised that it was only 4 hrs old. Then I saw one that was a day or two older and thought "I must be loosing my mind, I don't remember reading this" then I realized it was more then 4 hrs Big Grin

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:
Thought I would share with all the members, my wife, Donna's idea on how you winterize your Barth.

She said it is real simple. You fill up the fuel tank and drive far enough south to where it doesn't freeze. Sounds like a plan to me.

Nick

More to it than that - wash and pack the tee shirts and shorts...here in Florida, however, "winterizing" means throw a sweatshirt into the coach, lest an Alberta Clipper drive the temp down to 60°... Wink

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
More to it than that - wash and pack the tee shirts and shorts...here in Florida, however, "winterizing" means throw a sweatshirt into the coach, lest an Alberta Clipper drive the temp down to 60°... Wink

Rusty, Donna said you are complicating things. The stores in Florida are full of tee shirts and shorts.
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
They are? Roll Eyes Well I'll be...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
You guys should feel the pain!
It's 19 degrees out there right now and a Colorado low will give us 5-6" of snow today.
We leave for Phoenix on Dec. 16th, if the driving is OK. We shouldda left 2 days ago and avoided all this!
Don
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle
You fill up the fuel tank and drive far enough south to where it doesn't freeze. Sounds like a plan to me.

Nick

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this is the right place to post this. This fall I bought some "Bug Wash by Prestone" to use in my windshield washer resevoir. Thankfully I hadn't used it yet. I noticed today when I was in the garage that it was frozen solid! I would think this would cause some problems with the washer pump and possibly the resevoir, lines etc. If anybody is using this product I would recommend getting it out of your system for winter.

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Just had a winterizing kit installed in my Barth. The T is right in front of the pump. After I blow out the lines, I flip the T valve, stick the hose into a gallon of RV antifreeze and fire the pump up. Then I run antifreeze out of every faucet, pour some in the traps and I'm done.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
That sounds pretty cool Richard. Just out of curiosity, how much anti freeze do you use in this fashion? I have to use about three or four gallons, but I just chase the water out with the anti freeze and drain the tanks. How much do you guys use when you have hot water tanks?

also, my dad winterized my brothers coach and they charged about 20 bucks more because he had a ice maker. does that sound right?

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Given I can't take my boat to my air compressor I use a shop vac to empty all the lines then pump the pink around. I never use the antifreeze in the hot water tank, it never seems to purge in the Spring and takes forever to clear the flavor and odor. I let it drain with both the inlet and outlet open as well as the drain spigot and pressure relief. I shunt the supply and discharge lines together so I can winterize the hot side via fresh inlet.
After flushing and getting a good pink stream I then do the shop vac all over again to reduce the flush required in Spring commissioning. Spring commissioning is 4 one to two gallon purges with fresh water through the tank, then a taste to be sure before filling the tank.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Back to Geralds post. I was in Wally the other day and saw windshield washer fluid from RainX rated to -34 degrees, and the stuff you're talking about rated at +34 and above. We're in Florida and don't see much under 34 but it can happen and I wouldn't use it if I were much north of here. I like RainX and wonder how this product is.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
On our '77 Barth where we by-pass the hot water tank, it takes less than a gallon to fully winterize all taps, lines and traps in kitchen, shower, and toilet area. Since we often start early in the year and go late, I sometimes do this several times a year.
But as the saying goes-- "it's all good"!

Regards Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Danny.. I was surprised when I saw it was frozen. Up here they usually don't sell any washer fluid that will freeze..so I didn't pay much attention. Like I said good thing I hadn't used it yet. I bought it mainly because on some of the posts I had read people seemed to like it.

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post