Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    rear wheel seal
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

rear wheel seal
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted
I was just coming down a pass from 5000 feet and we had to stop for road work. I noticed that there was a little smoke coming off the real brake. I crawled under the rig and saw that there was some grease on the brake rotor. I tore into it today and I think that I have to replace the rotor and caliper. I also think that I'll have to replace the rear wheel seal. Have any of you ever tore into those things? Do I have to remove the rear axle to get to the seal and get the rotor off? Thanks.

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgto menion that this a P-30 1986 28 foot with rotor type brakes all around. Dennis

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
On mine, the axle is pulled out by hand after removing the end cap. After the end cap is off, you can remove the hub nuts with a hammer and a drift, but you need a special spanner to properly torque it on assembly. I will get the number tomorrow, after we have rested up from a trip. I matched it up at the auto parts store. It is for a Ford, supposedly, but truck manufacturers bought axles all over the place.

Consider having the rotors turned while you have it apart.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill I tore into the axle the other day. I went to the local truck repair guy and he was real helpful. He loaned me the correct socket to remove the nuts. I check the rotor and it was in such bad shape that I ordered a new one. I also had to replace the outer bearing. I ordered new calipers for both sides. It was a learning experience.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
The tool is a Performance Tools W1270. I got it at Pep Boys.

The seal is NAPA NOS31870 or Chicago Rawhide 31870.

Torque to 50 ft lbs while rotating drum, then back off until loose.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Dennis, glad to see you got it fixed.

BTW, if you had a new rotor and they used the old studs, be sure to torque the nuts the first few trips. Mine took several trips to settle in.