Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Kohler speed question
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Kohler speed question
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have a Kohler 7KW gasoline unit. The speed adjustment is maxed out but she will only reach 113-115 volts, wfo and fully loaded. I feel that there must be either a weak spring, a supporting/contributing adjustment that is off or "something" else that needs addressing. Fuel screws are adjusted per manual. Gov works fine and the voltage is fine but I hate to see any adjustment at it's full range.

Comments, suggestions? (Yes Dale, it works, that's why I just gotta fix it!) :-)

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Have you checked the frequency? I would be more concerned about frequency than voltage.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Did you check to makes sure that both ends of your male/male cord were plugged in??? Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha! Yep, both ends are plugged in. :-)

Bill, I was under the impression that the speed, voltage and frequency were fixed parameters. i.e. if the speed is low, the freq and voltage are correspondingly low. Did not have a freq meter and used the little plug-in receptacle meter as my guide. I knew the thing was 5V off (or so I thought). I just connected the digital volt meter and WHAT! The plug-in meter was 8-plus volts low. So, my gen voltage is actually pretty good.

I will obtain a freq meter and verify that parameter asap.

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
RPM and frequency are locked together. Voltage depends on flux density, field excitation, loads, phase of the moon, etc.

For a meter, look at Kill a watt at radio shack.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited December 24, 2003).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear ya bill. I just assumed that "..and then a miracle occurs"....in the gen unit was the operative mode.

Thanks for the tip on the meter. If our Uncle Sam doesn't have one I can check out on an overnight authorization, I'll go to The Shack.

posted Hide Post
ata boy ron, let us tax payers pay to fix a Barth. Sounds like a good idea though. I bet the Uncle has GOOD equipment too. Keep us posted too. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
When I used to work(four letter word) in the engine room of the fire boat in Seattle I always check the HZ and if it was low I would have to raise the RPM of the gen set to bring it up the the correct cycles. If it was too high I'b lower the RPM's. Dennis

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
hi use tac 1800 rpm 60 c 120 v put small load test hop this helps carl

Posts: 29 | Location: forestburgh n.y usa | Member Since: 01-06-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post