Barthmobile Portal
Kohler speed question

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/2111048061

12-24-2003, 03:38 PM
ron
Kohler speed question
I have a Kohler 7KW gasoline unit. The speed adjustment is maxed out but she will only reach 113-115 volts, wfo and fully loaded. I feel that there must be either a weak spring, a supporting/contributing adjustment that is off or "something" else that needs addressing. Fuel screws are adjusted per manual. Gov works fine and the voltage is fine but I hate to see any adjustment at it's full range.

Comments, suggestions? (Yes Dale, it works, that's why I just gotta fix it!) :-)
12-24-2003, 04:02 PM
bill h
Have you checked the frequency? I would be more concerned about frequency than voltage.
12-24-2003, 07:00 PM
Shadow man
Did you check to makes sure that both ends of your male/male cord were plugged in??? Grin
12-24-2003, 07:16 PM
ron
Ha! Yep, both ends are plugged in. :-)

Bill, I was under the impression that the speed, voltage and frequency were fixed parameters. i.e. if the speed is low, the freq and voltage are correspondingly low. Did not have a freq meter and used the little plug-in receptacle meter as my guide. I knew the thing was 5V off (or so I thought). I just connected the digital volt meter and WHAT! The plug-in meter was 8-plus volts low. So, my gen voltage is actually pretty good.

I will obtain a freq meter and verify that parameter asap.
12-24-2003, 07:25 PM
bill h
RPM and frequency are locked together. Voltage depends on flux density, field excitation, loads, phase of the moon, etc.

For a meter, look at Kill a watt at radio shack.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited December 24, 2003).]
12-25-2003, 12:47 AM
ron
I hear ya bill. I just assumed that "..and then a miracle occurs"....in the gen unit was the operative mode.

Thanks for the tip on the meter. If our Uncle Sam doesn't have one I can check out on an overnight authorization, I'll go to The Shack.
12-25-2003, 12:53 AM
DALE SMITH
ata boy ron, let us tax payers pay to fix a Barth. Sounds like a good idea though. I bet the Uncle has GOOD equipment too. Keep us posted too. Dale
12-25-2003, 01:51 AM
Dennis
When I used to work(four letter word) in the engine room of the fire boat in Seattle I always check the HZ and if it was low I would have to raise the RPM of the gen set to bring it up the the correct cycles. If it was too high I'b lower the RPM's. Dennis
12-25-2003, 06:00 PM
carl buckstad
hi use tac 1800 rpm 60 c 120 v put small load test hop this helps carl