Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Gimme a brake pt 2: Regal rear disc - Dana 70
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Gimme a brake pt 2: Regal rear disc - Dana 70
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm thinking your DP may be loaded more heavily, perhaps explains the tire failures, I hope.

Around 5,350 front, 9,900 rear, well within limits. Blowouts on duals typically occur because the mate is underinflated. Not so in any of the three on the Barth. The truck's and car's issues were initiated by belt separation. Bridgestone discontinued the tires on the Lexus ("Insignia").

The original Kelly-Springfields on the front developed blisters, and were replaced by Wan-Lis, which suffered belt separation (diagnosed before failure) and were replaced with Goodyear G647s.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Rusty, when you caught the pending tread separation, what did you see or what were the indications.

I may have a tread separation starting on one of my Bridgestones. Watching it closely

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The only one I caught was the right front Insignia on the Lexus; it pulled to the right, and once removed, there was obvious separation at the inner belt.

Two on the truck caused vibrations, and wobbling was visible when rotated on the balance machine.

The others gave no advance warning.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Finally got around to some more axle work. I reinstalled the rotor/hub assemblies and both new calipers with hoses. Final touches were the new steel lines and the center hose. A 40" 3/16 line works well on the left side, a 30" line is used on the right.

I now have new rear brakes/lines/hoses from master cylinder to hubs. mechanic
Now to bleed the lines and remount the wheels. Road test soon! Tooling Along

Then maybe that POS front engine seal… head bang

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5187 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dr. bart
posted Hide Post
Steve... Love your posts and great pics ( worth 1000 words )... What is the rubber hose between the red air bag line and the new rubber brake line ?...

Posts: 108 | Location: harrisonburg va | Member Since: 06-14-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
It is a vent hose from the Dana axle up to the frame. mechanic

Thanks for the feedback. Thumbs Up

Also coming soon: (Just like Hollywood!)
Gimme a brake part 3: confusion Neway TA-5 Tag Axle and "Rambo XV" Violence

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5187 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Steve, looking forward to your article on the tag axle brakes. Unknown to me, my tag axle brakes were inoperable.....that master cylinder was dry as a bone. I've got great stopping even without them, but excited to,see how good it could be.....looking forward to,reading it!

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Just returned from 700 mile trip to see my parents in UP of Mi. Brakes are great, engine seal still leaking, about 1 qt. New tires got rid of some vibrations at about 58 and 65 mph. The old tires had some kind of powder crap in the tires, apparently for balancing, obviously didn't work. The new ones are smooth at all speeds.

K&E, I will try to get more info on the TA5 axle along with that brake rehab. The axle was built by Hammerblow, for Neway, division of Lear-Siegler, bought out by Cutler Hammer. Other than the TA3 files here on our site I have not found any other data close to the TA5. If anyone has a manual or info on the TA5 it would be great. I do know the numbers for the air bags and the shock absorbers. My brakes are currently working but I want to go through them to check them out.

When I get it apart I will replace brake lines and wheel cylinders, repack bearings, etc. The drums are made by Dexter. I will report the part numbers if I can. I believe the brakes are the same as the rears on the older Ford 350 one ton vans, we'll see. Bill h had a great post with numbers back in 05 or so. I will try to verify his numbers.

The vacuum boost master cylinder is controlled by a vacuum modulator valve, which in turn is sensing pressure in the main rear brake line. I have no info whatever on either of these components, will try to find mfr and numbers. I have already replaced the 1/2 inch vacuum hoses from engine back.

Tag brakes will probably not get done until after I rebuild the transmission, the last of the driveline work. First I'll do the engine seal, also new fan clutch, power steering pump and hoses, then more sound insulation on the doghouse while it is out. Then transmission, then tag brakes. The fun never stops with the Barth! With any luck all major mechanical projects will be done this summer. mechanic

Eventually, I'd like to start repairing the skirts, wheel wells and repaint, after the mechanicals are done. I need to find inside storage before I can paint.

Have Barth, will travel

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
About 3 years ago, I re carpeted my unit. After removing the carpeting, I caulked and foamed every joint I could find. I,used 5rolls of FatMat (which was 1/2 the price of dynamat). I ended up putting in 3 layers of the FatMat all over the engine area and sealed up every crack. Upside, I used 2 layers own the underside of the engine cover also. It strengthened the engine cover assembly. I then put ultra thick carpet padding and carpet down. I also used FatMat under the dash top. I also used small pieces of FatMat and put them on the metal dash area from the front engine access. I couldn't get large pieces up in there so used small,random pieces and put them wherever I could reach. I,also,ran the FatMat under the carpet back about 5 feet all the way to the side entrance door. I can talk to my wife comfortably going down the road now....we don't have to,yell. I found that sometime Barth did not seal the doghouse with anything more than the carpet padding. I found holes I could stick a finger through. Well worth sealing up all cracks.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
"Sounds" like a good idea! ROTFLMAO
I have looked at several products including Fatmat. I have sealed the cracks pretty well but the engine cover has some material but the forward cover has none and the firewall as well. I will do as you have, I'm sure it will help. Thanks Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
Another great tutorial there Steve, great job as always. I like your Mag Tech diff cover, the O-ring and dipstick is a great idea. I should get one for my Dana 80.

Are your brakes made by Dayton? I finally got around to taking out the Breakaway for a test drive and found the right rear brakes to be sticking, pretty much a stuck caliper, noise and heat. So I tore it down to clean everything up. They look a lot like yours, don't know if I need to purchase anything yet, the caliper pistons work great. Just a seised up rusty mess.

Where did you buy your Bridgestone's if I may ask. I'm in the market for finding six new tires for mine, same size as the ones you purchased. So far I've only been able to get pricing on Goodyear's.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Mag HyTec has drain plug too. Way less messy when you have to remove cover. Thumbs Up

Not sure who makes the brakes… maybe Bendix? If you clean them up and the hoses are good you'll be fine. GM says the rotors can have grooves up to .030 inch and still be serviceable.

I got my Bridgestones at my local tire shop, Express Tire of Kalkaska. They source from several warehouses and they are the big "semi tire" type place in town. In the last year they sold me tires for the VW bus, Toyota Prius, Chevy pickup and the motor home! I'm a preferred customer, they even gave me a free pen! ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp