Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Gimme a brake pt 2: Regal rear disc - Dana 70
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Gimme a brake pt 2: Regal rear disc - Dana 70
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Seal job is on hold. I figured the brakes could be a safety issue, maybe even fire issue if they get bad enough. I will have the bad side done by tomorrow. The other side can wait, although I have the parts.

I can stand the seal leak, if it doesn't get much worse I could get home with it. I do have the new seal and I would prefer to replace before I go. I have 2 weeks left so I think I be able to "git er done" before we leave. I will definitely post the results when I get there. head bang

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5187 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
When I replaced my system, the 3 rotors were all within tolerance and could have been turned BUT, there were too many heat and stress cracks all around. The rotors had 130K miles on them.

I do like Steve, I coast a lot and also anticipate slowing to avoid heavy brake use if at all possible. With the 6 speed I can use engine braking somewhat.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
I do like Steve,

Hmm, shows what can happen when things are out of context. (I do like you, too, Ed!) Thumbs Up

Is this Facebook? Sorry I just couldn't resist that. ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5187 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Ha Ha, Good take on that one Steve! As was said, your "teacher gene" is again showing!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
" seal job is on hold "
Thanks for the update Steve , I will be watching to see what you find out . Keep a close eye on the oil level if you don't get it fixed before heading home . that was part of the problem with my engine (rear seal) when it started knocking. Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of Tool Man T
posted Hide Post
Fantastic.
?? How is the axle lubricated??
does the fluid come from the Diff. rez. Roll Eyes

Joel Taylor

Posts: 164 | Location: South Carolina | Member Since: 05-12-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Good question! The answer is yes, it gets lube from the diff, but intermittently.

If you run the differential lube level at the OEM level, the lube does not quite get into the axle tubes. Only when cornering or tipped to one side will the lube run down the axle tube and get to the bearings. This is considered adequate by GM.

(They do suggest that when you install the bearings you pack them with grease to last until some more comes down the axle tube.)

One of the reasons I installed a Mag-HyTec diff cover was they allow you to run the level a bit higher to keep some in the tubes. 2 qt added capacity, convenient dipstick, magnetic drain plug and O ring seal on the cover also.

Link to Mag-Hytec thread here

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Well, finally getting around to finishing the axle work. I pulled the rear wheels, calipers and hubs a week back (now I have a WEAK back!) ROTFLMAO

The right hub is getting new bearings and seal. The left hub is getting bearings and new brakes installed. Good news is the old disc could be turned and I will have a spare. I will get them back from the machine shop tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I had the tires removed from the wheels. The tires were far from worn but were made in mid 2004, I originally planned to replace them last summer but got sidetracked. I sanded and painted the rims then had new 8R19.5 Bridgestones mounted. Date codes indicate they were made in Dec 2014, less than six months old. Thumbs Up

As RV tires go, the Bridgestones are pretty reasonable. 4 wheels about $1300 out the door. Should be good another 10 years or so.

All my tires are now 2 years old or less. Once the hubs and wheels are back on, I will replace the left caliper, hose, and the steel lines on the axle. Rear brakes are then new from master cylinder back. Only brakes left to go are on the tag axle.

to be continued: mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Should be good another 10 years or so.

Yeah, that's what I thought - before 3 blowouts due to tread separation at the belt. Never again a Bridgestone on any of my vehicles. Three similar failures on my 1T van (2 failures, one replaced before failure), and four (one caught before failure) in my Lexus LS400.

None was over 4 years old.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
My 6 Bridgestones are all over 10 years old and have never failed me.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Wow, I hope this is not typical of the newer Bridgestones. I have wider Goodyears on the front but all 6 rear tires are now Bridgestones. The tag axle tires are 2 years old now. I'm surprised how many failures you've seen in a short time…

Generally I am not running in the heat of summer in the south, hope this helps. (More like in the snow in winter…) head bang Time will tell.

(Maybe you should slow down and not take the corners on one side, quit doing wheelies and give up the drag strip.) ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Rusty, looking at the data tag, my coach calls for 70 psi front and rear, with similar axle weight limits to yours. Yet your data tag calls for 90 psi.

I have been running 85 psi in all rear tires. I still have not gotten around to weighing the axles to determine actual loading. I will very soon.

I'm thinking your DP may be loaded more heavily, perhaps explains the tire failures, I hope. hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I use the mfr's recommendations, max 110 psi on dual. Headed north to cooler weather, 105, south to warmer, 100 psi. 90-95 in the fronts.

An old tire guy, whose opinion I trust, says keep it near the mfr's recommended top.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
My stock GM steel rims are stamped 95 psi max. I have run as high as 90 but the ride gets worse. I can't believe my data tag says 70… seems REALLY low. I need to get the thing weighed. hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
My data tag says 65 all around. Bridgestone says 110, My wrench says at least 85, 90 if I can stand the ride. I run about 88.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post