Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dick and Bev and no Barth
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Guess I am no longer a Barth owner. Went to NC Tuesday to pickup RV, left about noon, broke down again about 2:30. Fuel pump this time. Waited until today to get new pump from FL in Cinn, OH.
Put it on and started home about 10:15. At 10.39 it caught on fire and burnt to the ground. No one was hurt and we are home safe tonight. So much for getting a Ebay coach in A-1 condition.

Posts: 24 | Location: Summersville, WV 26651 | Member Since: 02-11-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another pic of what was left.

Posts: 24 | Location: Summersville, WV 26651 | Member Since: 02-11-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is what we started with this morning.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Dick and Bev,
I am so sorry to see the horrible sight. Glad you are both OK. Don't give up on owning a Barth.
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Wow! Thank goodness no one was hurt!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Oh my goodness!! Eeker That is not a good thing to see at all. Any idea of the cause? Thank goodness everyone got out without injury. I am hoping your insurance was up and active...

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our hearts go out to you. Unfortunately, this is all too common with older motorhomes (not the fire). I've seen too many stories where people buy what seem to be solid coaches that turn out to be nightmares in the end. It really comes down to the old phrase "Buyer Beware".

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Dick and Bev
Tere and I are so sorry for what happened to you. Thank God that you both were not injured. Take time to love on one another.
Jim and Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Wow, I am so sorry for your loss.

I've heard many stories about someone buying a coach and then breaking down or blowing up the engine on the way home. This is the first fire.

The Ebay listing is here ~ 1989 Barth on Ebay ~

Thank you for posting the pictures. I am glad everyone got out. Where in NC did this happen?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
posted Hide Post
Its a blessing no one was hurt. That is an incredible loss of a nice looking MH. Thanks for sharing the photos as a reminder of how vunerable we are traveling in a house with wheels...and gasoline.

Doug Bywaters
Near Skyline Drive Virginia!

Posts: 101 | Location: Flint Hill VA | Member Since: 09-29-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all. I had just put a new fuel pump on it, which was located just in front of the rear bumper. I do not know whether it caused a fuel line to burst or come loose at a fitting, or had nothing to do with it at all. When smoke started coming from around the "dog house" I pulled over. Then flames started, the coach filled with smoke quickly, and I got out.
We were on I 74 about 15 miles west of Mt Airy, NC

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I cannot open your photos on my Mac, but I can imagine your horror & chagrin. Thank God no one was injured, & I hope you had the foresight to get comprehensive insurance before you took off down the road.

Our trip home from Yuma a few years ago, in a coach we bought in Prescott, AZ, was a knuckle-biter all the way. I had corrected a half-dozen serious problems before we left Yuma, but 1500 miles was a challenge. Our only incident on the way home was an awning arm that detached at the top as we came down out of the Siskiyous. I thought we had blown a tire.

Fortunately, the coach was basically sound mechanically. Over the next four years, I put it in top mechanical & cosmetic condition. It still needed paint & could use some re-upholstery, but the new owner got a bargain.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
May God bless you and thankfully no injuries. A common problem on carbureted Fords was the screw in fuel filter to the carb with a short piece (~2") of rubber hose (dry rot) with spring clips. This hose was a failure point causing lots of engine fires. Chevy's are not immune to rubber rot of the fuel lines with the increasing use of ethanol in gasoline.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
Wow..
Glad you didn't get hurt.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of izomage
posted Hide Post
Dick and Bev,
This is surely a terrible event, and the images are just horrific. I had a house burn down a few years ago, and your photos brought back that sick feeling that begins in your stomach, then slowly extends throughout your body, into all the nerves, until you are just numb and flat. After looking at the photo of the undamaged coach I realized it was that beautiful Barth from Myrtle Beach I was preparing to bid on before the price headed for the stratosphere like a space shuttle launch. We are all so thankful there were no physical injuries, rest assured the other pain will dissipate with time.

Posts: 57 | Location: Severna Park, Maryland | Member Since: 08-12-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post