Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

The Saga of 71
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I may have mentioned that my tank that feeds the genny has a pick up that is about 5 gallons above empty so the motor supply is not stopped.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
I may have mentioned that my tank that feeds the genny has a pick up that is about 5 gallons above empty so the motor supply is not stopped.

Is it possible that the tube I am messing with is not the engine pick-up but only the generator pick-up.. going to check where that tube is headed again!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Barth life is always a learning experience. For the last several days, been chasing a fuel supply problem. There really was none!! Fuel pump was probably ok, the puzzle was with this Barth set level or maybe a bit low in the back it will not pick-up fuel with only five or six gallons in this gigantic tank. The pick-up is only a foot from the front of a 6 foot tank

Probably needed to replace all the rubber tube connections anyway, so that is done. learned the pick-up only has a 3/16 ID and it is all steel, welded to the tank, there is not a sock or filter in the tank. Still need to find where the generator gets its fuel, sure it will show up and cause me another few hours of search.

So back to the power brake repair!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Just like the old cars without fuel pumps, back up the hills or stall the engine. Mischief
Or maybe more lift on the air bags? Mechanic

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Been kinda under the weather with spring-time allergies or a cold, tested for covid and it was negative.

Been just putzing around with 71, looked in a kitchen drawer set up for silverware, to my surprise there was the missing two rocker arms, push rods, bearings and lock nuts. They are a bit worn so at one time they ran 71 as a V-8.

Could not get the new fuel pump to stop leaking, so took it back out and put the old one back in, seems all is dry now and pumping.

Made the new brake lines required, got the new brake boosters installed. Grandson came out for an afternoon to help bleed the brakes. One of the connections to each booster leaked like sieve. Could do nothing to stop the leak, so rather than break it, called it a day, went to dinner perplexed.

Pulled out one of the boosters to try and figure what was going on, thought it might be the ball type seal called for, but turns out the manufacturer just did not thread the fitting connection deep enough so the seal was not getting compressed.

Did not want to get in there with a flat bottom tap and leave chips to foul up the system. So ground off the last couple of threads on the fittings leaving enough meat to compress the ball seal but fit in the drilled hole. funny there are two of these connections on each booster they did the other one ok on both boosters. Line now feels good and tight, so have high hopes all is well. Grandson will be back out one day this week, so time will tell. Might try and get the kid up the block to help if he has time to spare from his new truck.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Grandson made the trip out from Chicago today to help bleed the brake system in 71.

After bleeding every component in the brake system about three times 71 has a decent amount of brake pedal!!

Was a bit concerned about the new remote power brake boosters, however they seem to do a good job, have power brakes and the improvment is remarkable.

Had to grind off a few lead threads on one of the fittings that looked ok it leaked like the two previously repaired.

Probably need to get a few miles on the new shoes and then readjust them, still a bit fearful of driving in traffic. However did drive it around the neighborhood.

The engine does not like the fuel in the tank runs awful, not sure if going to burn it out or pump it out, yes should drop that ******* tank and get it cleaned!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Stoked up my courage and took 71 for a test ride in the real world. Probably the first time in over 20 years 71 had encountered any real miles. 71 is still not happy with the gas and runs pretty crappy. The brakes are not all I would like them to be, however they improved a bit with usage! Although the pedal height does not increase stopping power is getting better. Had to add a bit of fluid after the run not sure if the system is just adjusting or there is a small leak somewhere.

The transmission shifts through all 3 gears and reverse is also ok. Did I tell you this coach has a B&M transmission I guess this was the turbo 350 or 400 of that period, or maybe someone just put a B&M oil pan on this unit, There are some rattles but there is stuff all over the inside so need a clean-up before chasing that. The air ride is pretty nice and these 350 engines are quieter than the 454's by a long shot. Drove through the campground by the river, it was full unlike last year when there was only a few RV's. Got all kinds of waves and stares nice to see.

Well; it might be time to get started on the creature comfort parts of 71. A/c, generator, water, drain systems, furnace, bench covers, that God awful orange carpet and my little exterior tear in the skin. Did I leave out tires, these are over 30 years old and I am bit reluctant to take them over 35/40 MPH!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
I am bit reluctant to take them over 35/40 MPH!!!

Well, that just means you'll have to leave a little early, to make it to the MN GTG. Good luck, see you soon? Tooling Along

Have Barth, will travel to GTG Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Been a bit since an update on 71, just been a little lazy. Not completely sitting on my behind. Did some work on the tear on the side, The folks that said they could make me a new sheet metal panel are a complete failure. Had some really thin aluminum, decide to use it at least for temporary repair, almost finished will take a picture when finished.

Got a nice carpet remanent for the driver, passenger seat area. Need some help removing the seats and old carpet, trying to get the kid up the street or one of my grandsons to help, of course its summer and they have girls to chase, awe to be in college again.

When the tear is fixed want to take it for slow (35 mph) ride for like 50 miles or so, just to be sure it is semi-road worthy until it gets new tires then do some faster (60 mph) runs.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
A little sanding to provide some tooth for primer, and paint, should at least make it look better than the big gouge, tear that it replaced. The thin material has wrinkled a bit, there is still a dent near the wheel in the original panel that I am working on and hope to make better. Still hope to find a shop that can make me a better panel for the final fix.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Wish I were with the Minnesnowta group, seems they are having a great GTG.

The wonderful city blocked off some streets. Barely able to get my sedan out more/less the Barth, so no test ride until the streets re-open!

Did manage to get the driver/passenger carpet installed. Not as pleased with the look as I thought it should look. Decided not to install Vinyl in the main aisle, going to go with carpet, similar to that is in the driving area, except a bit less deep pile. If someone buys it they can put in what they like.

Not moving fast but piece by piece 71 is going back together.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Grandson came out yesterday and we got the rest of the carpet installed. Looks pretty good, kinda wish I had gone with some other color, but it is ok!

Went out for a test ride, don't think the brakes are working as they should, a hard stop will lock up the left rear wheels and not the others. Gotta investigate, and the engine is still not fond of the gas although I added another 4 gallons, but it does run, marginally.

Painted the rusty front access compartment, was curious how well the color match would be before painting the side repair, doesn't totally match but pretty close, gonna try to find one with more silver in it. check out picture, gonna do the bumper next and get rid of the front hitch ball too.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Here is the front before the paint!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
Here is the front before the paint!

Duane you are going to have a tough time matching that patina. 71 has had 52 years to create that shade of grey. I was surprised on Camp Barth that door was steel. The Bustle butt door was aluminum with aluminum frame. Why not the front door?

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
That front hitch is really great for launching boats and pushing trailers into tight spots, no mirror problems finding the trailer that is narrower than the rig. You also don't have the drive tires in the water.