Tools
Reply To This Topic

N00Z from teh G33k
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Unless you enjoy sliding bamboo splinters under your fingernails, AVOID installing WinXP SP3. Like most everything from Microsoft, it's shovelware...see here

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Hooked onto the 'net with Charter? You'll be pleased to know your browsing habits are now a revenue stream for Charter, since they're selling them; see here.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Avoiding Vista? So are a large (12:1) majority of programmers. See here. IMHO, Vista is the OS of the future. And always will be; few of the features surpass WinXP, and the glitches and bugs make it less-than-appealing - add to that Vista's consumption of PC resources, and XP stomps it.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Vista is the OS of the future. And always will be;

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
BTW: MS announced that SP3 for WinXP will be released before too long - this after having denied (right after the release of Vista) that there would be none...

BTW Mk II: Restraint may be in order...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
So, yer enamored of AOL? Check this out to see how it's been run...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
OK Rusty, and all you other members of the geek squad, I've got a weird one. When I send a post, the large picture under the post and the small one under our name doesn't show. Bill has checked our settings and they appear ok. If I right click on where the image is supposed to be, the picture comes up, very slowly. If I go to another post and come back to the one I right clicked on, there's no picture. And all of my posts, even the ones I know had pictures, show no pictures now. Bill said that he was getting the pics on his computers. When you read this are you getting the pics? The only thing we did recently was load AVG Free 8.0 to take the place of AVG Free 7.5. It seems that we weren't having this problem with 7.5, but I do recall that sometimes before we switched to 8.0, when I clicked the 'post now' square, a full screen version of our picture would download and the complete post would not appear until the full screen picture was complete. Then the post, with proper pictures would appear. That even occurred once or twice with 8.0.
Any thoughts?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Bill said that he was getting the pics on his computers. When you read this are you getting the pics?
This is what I see.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I got it OK also. I'm running AVG free 8., IE6, XP Pro Spk2.
I did get the BIG picture some time ago, but that seems to be not happening now.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I generally get the large photo with the text squeezed in, then the photo shrinks and the post appears normal. I suspect that's a result of the .jpg tags in the photo, and the image size tag isn't being implemented until after the photo has displayed.

One possible cause of this is the image stored on each person's PC in cookies or temp internet files - that will load before the tag is implemented. Storage of that would have resulted from a larger image originally being in an earlier sig line.

One can click on "tools" with the browser up, then click Internet Options, General, Browsing History, and delete these files...CAVEAT: Deleting the cookies will also delete all auotmatic logins/passwords stored.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
My tool bar is set up a little differently but I tried what you suggested and still have the same problem. Also, when I pull up the site, for some reason it takes me almost 5 minutes to completely download the home page. I have dial up, but never had this problem before. The home page I get is a slide show of about five or six photos and is not completely pulled up until all the photos are downloaded. I can always click on 'forums' immediately and it will go there even tho it takes a minute or so. Doesn't seem to make any difference about the absence of the photos. Now that I know that everyone else has to wait while the big picture is downloading, that bothers me because my posts are a pain to download. Should I do something with the Picture?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Also, when I pull up the site, for some reason it takes me almost 5 minutes to completely download the home page. I have dial up, but never had this problem before.
Use this link http://barthmobile.com/eve or use this link http://barthmobile.com/eve/forums as your sign on page for Barthmobile - this will keep you from waiting for the photos to load on our coaches.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
To add to what Bill N Y said, your sig photo is 458Kb (~57.2KB) - that should take no more than 12-15 secs to download. Removing it from your sig would save some time, but others' sig photos would still bog things down.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Removing it from your sig would save some time, but others' sig photos would still bog things down.
Rusty - it sounds like he has a very small cache file size.

There is no reason why his pictures should reload every time. Confused

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
The cache idea may be it. When ever the pic is up properly & I right click on pic- then go to properties a window comes up

Image Properties
Location:http://:256.photobuckt.com/albums/hh161/jimandtere/Barth%20Signature/PICT0004-1.jpg
Width: 190px
Height: 250px
Size of File: 74.35KB(76130 bytes)
Alternet Text: Jim and Tere

When the pic isn't up & I right click on pic - go to properties & the Image Properties window comes up All is the same except of

Size of File: Unknown(not cached)

Does this mean anything to you guys?

Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B