N00Z from teh G33k
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Win XP gets another 6 months...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Microsoft has disclosed that there will be 11 security updates released next Tuesday.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It's Win XP Update Tuesday. There are 7 to 11 updates available - all critical. Grab 'em.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
More Gud Nooz! Adobe's Flash Player has been found to enable hacking. Time for some work: Go to this site, which will load the Flash Player control panel from you very own peecee into the window. At the very least, check the yellow "Ask..." button for all sites.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Danger, Will Robinson!

Hopefully, no Barthmobilers will fall prey to this, but note its content.

Yeah, I know I'm being redundant redundant, but the idea is to keep Barthers clean and clear...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
finallyfast.com, hyped relentlessly on cable/satellite TV, is essentially a a scam; avoid it.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Hey Rusty,
Any news on SP4 & when or whether to install yet? I waited for a year before I installed SP3 & haven't had any problems at all.
Thanks for your input,
Tere
Wish we could go to FL with you guys. Have fun!

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
No mention of SP4 on any of the geeksites. I suspect that there will be no more service packs, although security upgrades will continue.

Expect a big push and hype from MS when Windows 7 is released; with the disaster of Vista, MS is going to want to sell and sell and sell W7.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A few months ago, here, I recommended ThreatFire.

However, v3.5 was made available (automatic update) around 11/25/08. I've encountered two issues with it that cause me to recommend UNINSTALLING it ASAP.

One issue is that it interferes with keyboard drivers, causing the keyboard to become inoperable. Less irritating, but still a pain, is that it also interferes with the Windows "Hibernate" function.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mor gud n00z:

1. Antivirus XP 2008 is a hack.

2. An outfit calling itself Adele has been sending test deposits to credit card accounts prior to gutting them.

3. Blogging service Pownce will be shut down 12/15/08; if you're using it, check the link out.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mac Attacks? Apple now recommends installing anti-virus software

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
From the Department of Redundancy Department:

Of course all Barthers know not to open an email attachment from within the email, unless it's from someone they a., know, and b. who pays attention to PC security.

Here's why.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Mac Attacks? Apple now recommends installing anti-virus software

Well, now, maybe not...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A Firefox problem - not widespread, but potentially serious. "Drive-bys" in the article are mostly on unsecured wi-fi networks, but once again this is a reason to be careful with voluntary downloads and to keep your arsenal of anti-malware and anti-virus and firewalls in place and up-to-date.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Well how about that!
I use both FireFox and IE. IE on this site, because FireFox will not remember what is 'new since last visit' Rusty, or anyone have any suggeswtions? I'm also trying to switch over to 'unbuntu' or some other linus/unix OS. I used to be a Unix Admin in a past life.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post