Thank you
 Login now/Join our community

She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen:

Whoops make that "I read all the new postings almost everyday".

While my life has been busy of late and our Barth spends too much time in our driveway I am never too busy to read BARTHMOBILE.

This site, thanks to all the wonderful people that contribute, is a real bright spot in my days. The help so generously offered when I have asked questions is a real gift.

When I start to spend a bit of time at home again I will update everyone on our Barth projects.

Timothy

As you can see I have not been home. When I am on the road the most common question is "How many Families live with you in your house truck?"

This is what much of the world considers an RV.

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Tim, I've been waiting since you posted this for someone to ask but I guess I have to do it myself. Where were these 2 pix taken?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
turn this into a contest:
looks like Guadamala to me - any other votes?

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I was gonna say Belize.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Southern Mexico or Honduras?

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Yeah, sure could be that area.

The heads look a little Olmec, which would place them in the north part of the skinny part of Mexico, but their art went farther east to perhaps El Salvador or even Honduras. And the Olmec influence continued into other, later cultures, too.

But, the pillar doesn’t look Mesoamerican, at all. And I seem to remember that Olmec heads were more free-standing, rather than bas relief

I’m gonna take a flyer and say Cambodia.

Besides, the motorized pedicab reminds me of Southeast Asia.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
S.E. Asia was my guess too, but I didn't have enough guts to suggest it. I just googled Angkor Wat & the carved faces there are uncannily similar.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Besides, the motorized pedicab reminds me of Southeast Asia.

That almost led me to SE Asia also. I probably should have followed my first impulse.

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Shoot, sorry I have not responded before. I have been in Texas, low cost motels with internet connections that make Cambodia look like the cutting edge.

I was a Angkor Wat in Cambodia. Yep those heads were not the only things that looked just like the carvings in Mexico. I found it rather strange, there are some carvings of eagles in a circular pattern that look exactly like Mexico. My favoite carving is something I called "Angkor Barbie" she was all over the place; good hips, an impossible 14 inch waist and a chest that would make the editors of playboy sit up and take notice. She generally popped up at the end of a relief where the King takes credit for the work done by the Army. Some things have changed little in the last 1000 years.

Well it was fun and except for the cost of the airplane (the company paid for that- work in China) I lived well on about 60 to 70 bucks a day. I think with care I could have done it for under 50 and that is in airconditioned hotels. If you will accept a fan rather than airconditioning when you sleep and I won't anymore, it could be done for twenty five dollars a day.

Oh yea the people are like Mexico too, real nice. The food is OK, a mixture of French and Thai. The local offering popular with the backpacking croud was "Happy Pizza", made happy with the addition of a green garnish I've seen before, I passed.

I found a nice Gin in the evening was just fine; a beer with dinner and I was ready for bed.

All the Best:

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
I had also thought of Ankor Wat but figured that it was more likely that someone would go to Latin America than Cambodia.....I think that i may have been in Laos one time but am not sure as they would not tell us exactly where we were. Smiler

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post