Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

windshield replacement
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Don Scalzo
posted
I went online at autoglassnational.com, got a quote for a '93GMC van (as per archive) and placed an order at $251.71 installed at our place in Hayesville, N.C.. I will post again when we see what happens. They quote all over the US for mobile replacement.

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Don, I sure don't want to set-off any panic alarms, but your reference to an Astro "van" windshield is a little disconcerting.......

For my '79 Barth, the windshield is indeed from an "Astro"....a GMC/Chevy Astro cab-over heavy tractor, i.e.:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.capec...ar%25202/DEM2TT.htm& h=366&w=550&sz=43&tbnid=fdnlkOJ3d0IJ:&tbnh=86&tbnw=129&start=31&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgmc%2Bastro%26start%3D20%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

There is also an "Astro Van", a minivan marketed by GMC/Chevy until just recently....but I have to doubt that the windshield is anywhere close to any model of Barth.....

Google-in "Astro, Truck, Van" in the IMAGES section to see what I mean.......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
The internet site contacted me and told me that they don't replace MH windshields. I went to a local glass company in Murphy, N.C.(Curtis Glass), gave them the DW731 number and they replaced the windshield for $223.86 so we had the passenger side done also.

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
How does Duncan get away with charging $900 for their glass. Any glass experts out there? Is there a difference in glass that makes a difference?

And, I have noticed a couple older Barths where the windshield start to get milky around the edges. What causes that?

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
"I have noticed a couple older Barths where the windshield start to get milky around the edges. What causes that?"

Older Winnies are notorius for that...has to do with edge seal being broken between glass and inner plastic membrane...moisture gets trapped between layers....No cure or correction other than R&R.......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Milkiness is probably no more than a common characteristic of laminated safety glass, caused by air, or moisture intrusion as it ages.

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited October 22, 2004).]

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post