Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Backup Cameras
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Before I start on the subject topic, I would like to take the opportunity to wish all members and guests a merry xmas and happy new year. As a newbie, I have been made welcome and it is a pleasure to be a member.

Now the topic at hand, backup cameras. I, like a lot of members, have a Sony B&W system circa 1990 which has quit. The system uses a four conductor cable with waterproof connection at the camera end.

To find out what was available, I called RVcams.com. This site was recommended in our forums. They were very knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with.

The following is what I learned:

-Sony products are discontinued (we all knew this)
- the monitor is probably ok if the screen is lit but no signal is present.
- the cable may be at fault since mice love this cable covering almost as much as real food. A continuity check must be made to eliminate.
-if the camera is at fault, a Voyager B&W or colour unit is a direct substitute using a special adapter made by Voyager which allows the use of the Sony 4 conductor cable. Cost of adapter- $18. If the colour camera is selected, it will only allow B&W viewing but allows you the option of upgrading the monitor at a later date.
-if the Voyager monitor is selected as well, there is an adapter for that end to use the Sony connector.
-Voyager products offer the monitor in 5" and 7" models.

Voyager products are pricey but offer better quality and future availability of parts or replacements (ie they have been in business for over 10 years). I was quoted $307 for 5.6 colour monitor,$259 for colour camera or $199 for B&W. Probably cheaper to buy as a package.

RV cams did not know whether the Voyager adapter would work with other brands on the market as there are just so many. The adapter was made specially for Sony as that is the bulk of the upgrade market.

Posts: 60 | Location: Saint John, N.B. Canada | Member Since: 09-18-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Try here for more discussion. I was able to use a generic Kmart $30 security cam.

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...783916077#9783916077

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5196 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
We did the exchange a couple of years ago-- the parts provided were all "plug and play". We had initially thought that the PO had changed some of the wiring( some of the connection/wiring were a mess at the camera area) and were expecting problems but the original wiring in the coach was OK and all the adapters worked just fine.
Good Luck

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I upgraded my dash stereo to a Pioneer DVD with the double din screen (6") and it came with an add on back up camera. It operates with the reverse gear lock and that is easily defeated with a dash toggle switch so it works full time as my rear view camera. The camera is tiny and only requires two wires(it does not have sound) so I used two of the old wires in the existing cable. For travelling I can switch the camera off, tune the radio, then switch the Camera on and I can see behind me as I listen to the radio; cd's; mp4's; iPod ; or a DVD. I also added a full sound system so I can tie the tv and movies to the overall system but not use the screen except when selecting a source while watching behind me. The whole deal , via, eBay was under $400, three years ago.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of RainCatcher
posted Hide Post
I replaced both my back-up camera and the monitor with a 7" LCD color monitor and camera that I purchased from RV Cams, Inc. Their web site is www.RVCams.com and their phone number is 877-378-2267. The camera and monitor cost me $540 and I was able to use the original wiring. The bonus is that the monitor fit in the same location as the old Sony monitor.

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866
5.9 cummins on spartan chassis

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
I purchased from RV Cams, Inc.

What is the advantage of theirs @ well over double the Costco price for "Rearview Safety" ?

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of RainCatcher
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the advantage of theirs @ well over double the Costco price for "Rearview Safety" ?

Everything fit with minimal modification. I took less than an hour to install and work. The biggest selling point was that I didn't need to rewire anything. Most newer systems use a different cable and connector which requires running new cable from the monitor to the camera which in my case is over 30'. Everything hooked up painlessly on the existing cable.

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866
5.9 cummins on spartan chassis

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post