Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

closing up for winter
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/07
posted
Ok so I have parked the barth outside as I have not yet built the shelter for it... I have it on a slight upgrade to allow the water to run off..
I have done the following
1 emptied all cabnets of food and drink
2 stripped the beds and washed all linens
3 restacked all linens etc on bed so cabinets are clear.
4 opened all cabinet doors (and I mean all) if it opened I opened it.
5 washed and cleaned all removable carpeting and throw rugs.
6 replaced all mouse traps
7 closed all window shades to night shades and closed front curtain..
8 hooked up the battery charger to the Bateries and put the inside switch on land power and pluged the unit into the barn electric so I have power inside..
9 put the wheel covers on

Did I cover eveerything or did I miss something... it has not gone above the freezing mark all of Dec and I want to make sure I have no surprises come spring time..
thanks

------------------
John Reilly
Big Times Kennel
Centerville Ohio
If you see this... You found me

Posts: 87 | Location: Centerville, Ohio, USA | Member Since: 09-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I hope that, before you did all that stuff inside, you winterized the water system by draining everything, including the hot water heater, blew it out with air, and added enough RV-type antifreeze to be sure there was no untreated water left in the pipes, and ran some antifreeze into all your drains as well.

If you didn't do that first, and it hasn't gone above freezing, you may be in for a big, unpleasant surprise come spring.

Inside, I usually only leave the fridge partially open, and put put a Dri-zair container in the kitchen and bathroom sinks to soak up any excess moisture in the atmosphere.

In my experience, there's an amazing difference in the amount of moisture you get inside, depending on what kind of surface you're parked on. Grass ain't good, dirt not much better, gravel better, concrete best.

When we had boats moored on the water for the winter, I'd rig a light bulb or a heat lamp just to keep the air circulating, but never found that necessary in an RV. I am a great fan of Dri-zair, though an electric dehumidifier would do the job too.

You have greater temperature extremes that we do, and I'd bet there'smore variation in humidity there, too.

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited December 11, 2005).]

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/07
posted Hide Post
OLROY says
I hope that, before you did all that stuff inside, you winterized the water system by draining everything, including the hot water heater, blew it out with air, and added enough RV-type antifreeze to be sure there was no untreated water left in the pipes, and ran some antifreeze into all your drains as well.
I did all that.. I am still nervouse that I didn't do it enogh or add enough anti freeze or missed something... I tried to make a list of all places water was and all the drains etc and blow out and the water and added antifreeze... Spring will tell me if I missed somewhere..

If you didn't do that first, and it hasn't gone above freezing, you may be in for a big, unpleasant surprise come spring.

Inside, I usually only leave the fridge partially open, and put put a Dri-zair container in the kitchen and bathroom sinks to soak up any excess moisture in the atmosphere.

I did leave the refer and freezer open a bit but will add Dri-Zair.. what is that stuff and where would I get it and what is it for...

In my experience, there's an amazing difference in the amount of moisture you get inside, depending on what kind of surface you're parked on. Grass ain't good, dirt not much better, gravel better, concrete best.

I am parked on asphalt which By your scale I would think I was better than gravel but not as good as concrete..

When we had boats moored on the water for the winter, I'd rig a light bulb or a heat lamp just to keep the air circulating, but never found that necessary in an RV. I am a great fan of Dri-zair, though an electric dehumidifier would do the job too.

You have greater temperature extremes that we do, and I'd bet there'smore variation in humidity there, too.

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited December 11, 2005).]

Thanks for the help and the reply..

------------------
John Reilly
Big Times Kennel
Centerville Ohio
If you see this... You found me

Posts: 87 | Location: Centerville, Ohio, USA | Member Since: 09-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Dri-Z-Air is a chemical (Calcium chloride?) that absorbs moisture. It consists of a plastic container with a screened receptacle on top into which you pour the crystals. The water absorbed from the atmosphere drips into the bottom as the crystals gradually dissolve. It reduces the likleihood of mildew and mustiness.

Your local hardware or camping supply store should have it. Maybe even Wal-Mart.

Go to campingworld.com and do a product search for Dri-Z-Air for a picture, & the Camping World price for the container and refills.

I've used it for years and found it effective. The liquid remaining does an excellent job of killing grass, though, so you don't want to dump it on the lawn.

I would guess that asphalt is about as effective as concrete in keeping the humidity low outside your rig. Sounds like you're in good shape.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post