Forums    General Discussions    State Park Camping in Fla.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

State Park Camping in Fla.
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
We decided to get out this weekend and checked the usual State Park sites for what was available. Nothing! Called them and confirmed Nothing! I wasn't so surprized about Hillsborough River or Oscar Scherer, but Lake Manatee is a bit rustic and out of the way and we never had any problem getting in at the last minute. No more! If you want to stay at any Fla. State Park, book EARLY!
http://www.floridastateparks.org/FindaPark.cfm

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
I agree 100% especially in the Keys --- you need to be about six months ahead --- at a minimum.

Try Tomoka Park north of Daytona. It's on an inland water way and is really nice, rustic and unspoiled --- and usually not crowded.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
You know Danny that is the case just about anywhere. When we go to Canada or anywhere in northern Wisconsin or up in Ontario it is wise to book way in advance. Funny, because that is why we got the coach because even cheap mom and pop motels are booked almost a year in advance on prime weekends.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There's a very nice RV park in a county park in Mayport, FL - Kathyn Abby Hanna Park. Although it's less than 1/4 mile from the ocean, it's well-sheltered and shady.

Link is here. I've been there, and it's very nice.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
When we did our 15 state, 10,000 mile trip in 04 we never made a single reservation anywhere since most of the time we did not know where we would be day to day or even at the end of most days. We would just pull into a place and ask if they had a space available for a night or however long we wanted to stay in the area. Never got turned down once.....just lucky i guess.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
When we did our 15 state, 10,000 mile trip in 04 we never made a single reservation anywhere since most of the time we did not know where we would be day to day or even at the end of most days. We would just pull into a place and ask if they had a space available for a night or however long we wanted to stay in the area. Never got turned down once.....just lucky i guess.

I've had the same experience with my older 1972 22-footer already. People seem to respect these motor homes.

Tim Grimes
timgrimes@inbox.com
www.lzontheweb.com
www.erlanger.org

Posts: 25 | Location: Calhoun, GA | Member Since: 03-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
We spent the weekend at Highland hammock State Park. It was great! Danny check out E.G. Simmons park in Ruskin. It's like a smaller Fort Desota. Plenty of water, good fishing, great boating. It's a county park.

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Hey Don & Linda, Don't know how I missed this post but glad I caught it now. Our next scheduled trip is to the Big Lake, Lakeport area, for Memorial Day Weekend. Of course that doesn't mean we won't get a hair before then and head somewhere for a weekend. I'll check Simmons out and BTW we are hoping to get into the Fort in early September. Friends are already booked and we're checking out options now. Sounds like a long way off but if you want to get in to the Fort it's time to start booking. All the best with the new coach, until we meat again, Danny and Suzie

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post