Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Greetings From East Tennessee
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello from a newbie to this group. It is really great to find this site. My family has been camping for many years and I have always admired the Barth and can appreciate the quality and craftmanship. We have owned several wonderful coaches and campers but had to sell our last one a couple of months ago due to illness and medical bills. We would really love to find another coach by next spring and I would appreciate advice and leads. It will just be the two of us now and my eyes aren't what they used to be. With that in mind we would prefer to find as small a coach as we can be comfortable in. Our last coach was a '97 Discovery 37' wide body and I didn't feel safe driving something that big. Plus, this time I don't want debt.
Thanks for reading my post and thanks for this great site. I look forward to new friendships here and hope to have a Barth in our family by spring. Happy holidays to all and God bless.

Posts: 6 | Location: Kingsport, TN, USA | Member Since: 11-27-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
DreamerTN,

Welcome to the site! If you're interested in anything to do with Barth, this is THE PLACE to be, Thanks to Dave's efforts......

For preliminary tire-kicking, I'd suggest that you get one of Dave's CD's.....All the model names, chassis & power configurations that Barth used can make your eyes glaze over, and having the CD allows you to get a mental image of just about any set-up manufactured...even a trolley car if you're so inclined!

I "think" that the 27 footer is about as short as you can go and still have dedicated sleeping quarters. I'd guess that options include Chevy P-30's w/ a 454, John Deeres with Ford 460's - Heck, there's even DP's under 30'.........

My current toy is 24', and requires converting the sofa/goucho/dinette for sleeping....Great for short term trips, but when I become rich from drawing Social Security I'll be shopping for the perfect 30' Breakaway DP for extended travel......

Just keep in mind that many units are at least a decade or more old, so upgrades and neglected maintenance are part of the "adventure" of ownership....and unlike so many other brands built with sticks & glue, staples & plastic, you're starting out with a rock solid foundation.... not to mention that I haven't run into a grouchy Barth owner yet! ('cept for Ron and that awning thingy, but that involved an SOB

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
SOB = Something Other than Barth!

Just re-read my post...To a Newbie, it could look like I'm a flame-thrower tryin' to pick a fight.........

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Welcome Dreamer, I can put in my two cents worth and say our 81 28' Euro is a great coach for two, if a split bed plan works for you. You won't find many Euros but the Regal is the same coach inside, and perhaps more desirable outside. The P30 454 chevy is pretty easy to maintain and drives nice, as long as you realize your profile and know a little about driving coaches. Everything on a Barth is first class, and the guys here will help in ways you'll never dream of until you need it. Good luck finding what you want.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Lee's advice is on the mark. I've lusted for a Barth since 1969, though my wish then was for a travel trailer. We bought our first RV from a dealer who handled Barths and cheaper units - the kind we could afford then.

IMHO, the 28' Barth gasser is the ideal rig - separate bedroom, and adequate seating & bathroom.

Last January, when I had the money and the hots at the same time, there weren't any 28 footers around, and we ended up with a 33' 1990 Regal SE on a P-30 chassis with a tag axle. It's still a work-in-progress, though all the serious deferred maintenance has been completed. Still got a few cosmetics, though age-related problems do crop up now and then.

I'm 75, and it takes me a week to do a half-day's work any more, so the Barth is my hobby as well as our RV. We're wintering in Yuma, AZ right now, and later we'll wander the Southwest for a few weeks before we up-anchor and head for home in Feb.

Like Lee. I've never met a grouchy Barth owner, though I admit to a moment of disquiet when I found our rig had really been "rode hard and put away wet." I gritted my teeth, attacked the problems one by one, and finally got ahead of them.

Mechanically, the rig has been fine from day one, but a lot of things that need day-to-day attention had been neglected. Now, daily, I become more pleased.

I've been down the road with "stick & staple" RVs before, and I really appreciate the solid foundation of this Barth.

Welcome to the group, and good luck in finding your dream rig.
Roy

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the kind words. I agree that a 28' would be about the best size. We had a 30' Executive (another SOB) way back in the early 80's and loved it. We wont drive enough to justify another diesel and I can live with the slow hills (gas engine) in order to buy a nicer coach for the money. We prefer a queen bed over twins but may not be able to be that picky.
We looked at a 34' Barth yesterday but its more then we can spend and more coach then we need. I feel sure that we can find something by spring and I really am glad that I found this site.
Thanks again to all replys... Chris

Posts: 6 | Location: Kingsport, TN, USA | Member Since: 11-27-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Actually Lee is a flame thrower trying to pick a fight. But he is absolutely right on the mark here. I have a 28 foot 1985 Barth Regal which is a Chevy chassis with a 454 engine. It has exactly the right stuff to have a great time for a couple on the road. It has a forward lounge with sofa and pullout table with 2 barrel chairs for dinner or company. Nice sized kitchen. They forgo an oven and add a Micro/convection which allow for more drawer space and my furnace is under the 4 burner cook top. (the convection is better than an oven anyway)We have the center twin beds which we love. We close the pocket (some are accordion) doors between the kitchen and the bathroom and it becomes our own little sleeper car. We have one of these little swing down TVs and it's just great. We have a rear bath which has a large wardrobe with two large drawers underneath and a ceiling to floor cabinet which holds towels, toilet chemicals and other stuff. We also have a shower with kind of a tub. Not big enough for me, but would fit kids or pets well. Then of course the lavatory and toilet. We had a carpenter build a fold down shelf above the toilet that extends the lavatory area when Deb is doing what Debs and other women do that takes up so much room in the bathroom.

The nicest and most convenient thing I think about virtually all Barths are the beautiful all wood cabinets (mine are solid cherry) that extend all the way around the circumference of the interior ceiling. These provide all the room we need for maps and books up front, dishes and glasses in the lounge area. The area above the living room pull out table has become our storage for the DVDs as well as carbo's like bread, chips, cereal, boxes of rice and some canned goods. In the Bedroom her side is her side and my side is her side.. well not completely. I have my non hanging clothes, socks etc. there.

All in all, we find it to be home. And frankly, when we get home to our 4 bd 2 Bth house on 1/2 acre we can't wait to get out again.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted Hide Post
Well "HELLO" It good to have a few folks from Tn. on this "SITE"

------------------
Jay&Shelby 95 Regency 34ft. 300 hp.

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Continuing on the subject of 28' Regals...................do they all have rear baths?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what I have but I suppose it is a 28' Regal with a rear queen, center bath. It also has Corian counters and solid cherry cabinetry. Mood lights, security system also. Could it be a Royal in a Regal skin???
Gary
North Idaho

[This message has been edited by Grizzlygiant (edited November 30, 2004).]

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
hey Bill,

I have seen rear beds in the center, I have seen rear beds on the corner, I have seen a center full size bed with a walk around. But just by the number which have sold off of the website, I have to believe that the majority were center twins. Certainly 80% or more that have I seen have been that configuration.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
One of our SOBs was a corner bed. Pretty efficient layout.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post