Forums    General Discussions    Need help with specs and dimensions for my Barth
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Need help with specs and dimensions for my Barth
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Raven1962
posted
Howdy from Texas!

I'm in the process of buying a Barth Mobile Office/Command Center, VIN: 1GBKP37W7E3316764. Essentially, it looks like the 1989 Coca Cola Euro, in photo gallery #9. Bumper-to-bumper, she's right at 37 feet, has the 454/TH400 combo, supposedly a 2-spd axle, does have the tag-axle, and a 4-cylinder Kohler generator. Bad state of disrepair, but was running when parked, so hope to have her running, to drive to the house. She has been partially gutted, but still has the bathroom, to the best of my knowledge. Have to wait for a break in the weather to unload sever house-loads of crap, to see what's really there.

If anyone has dimensions and layout for that typical design, I sure would appreciate some help. I'm planning to remodel with a number of ADA type features. Not in one now, but I've been wheelchair-bound and have had strokes since, so it isn't hard to imagine I could be, again. I have a general idea, but no real concept of the space, dimensions of the box for the generator, size and placement of the bathroom, and so-on.

I plan to raise her up a tad, for rough roads, some gentler off-roading/camping and generally off-the-beaten-path RVing.

Other mods will include modernizing the cockpit, a large battery, for extended stationary, off-grid use, solar panels, possibly a mini wood-pellet-gasifier for the generator, better insulation, and various other 'green' and accessibility features.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff Frusha
Cedar Creek, TX

Posts: 44 | Location: Luling, Texas | Member Since: 05-24-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Hi Jeff,
If it has a two speed axle, that would be unusual for this chassis.

In terms of layout, you would be best served by defining your own layout, based upon the present window locations. You can install your own windows too, I did.

You can come up with different sizes for generators, and that depends on the generator. Building your own compartments for such a unit would be a first, hopefully your rig already has the space, and you can find a generator to fit the space there.

The off-roading idea you have might be the first I have heard of in this forum. Depending upon how crazed/rich you are, there were RV companies in the '80s that made "4WD" P30 rigs. The part you wrote about "raise her up" certainly sounds non-trivial!

Happy Motoring!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 526 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Hey Jeff: VIN indicates the GM chassis was built in 84. When you get a chance see if you can find the data tag with the Barth serial number. There is often a considerable delay between the GM build date on chassis and the final Barth delivery.

The Barth number will also give us the "official" length. (Some RV makers used total length, Barth length was sans bumpers.) Your oal of 37 feet would likely be 35 or 36 from Barth. This is the longest GM chassis I know of! It will be interesting to see what it weighs when you get it running. hmm

You can find info on your chassis here on the site. Driveline, brakes, engine are pretty standard. OTOH, your interior will be especially singular and typically the wiring can be unique. Some commercial units were medical labs, some bookmobiles, some police units, etc. Each quite different. Sounds like you have the proverbial "blank slate."

Good luck with this unique RV. Barth RVs are quite variable by nature but yours is especially unique. Keep us posted. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5183 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raven1962
posted Hide Post
Found the data tag. Been clearing out the tons of stuff. Tag has been moved directly over the drivers' door. Was impossible to spot, until we cleared from the side door, forward. Too much junk in the way.

Didn't really mean 4 X 4 off-roading, but being able to go off the main, asphalt, out into the woods where there's space, onto the beach, alongside the river,... That sort of thing. Guessing stiffer springs, when I replace the airbags with springs will probably take care of some of the concerns, along with some portable winches, T-posts and driver, etc. I can tow a jeep, and carry a nice electric scooter, for anything more intense than the packed dirt lane.

She's in really bad shape. Not going to be much 'Barth' inside. Ashamed of how poor she has been treated. At least I have a few ideas to start with. Once the basic interior walls and ceiling are done, I can move on into developing a livable floor plan. The 'Google' is my friend... ;-)

Posts: 44 | Location: Luling, Texas | Member Since: 05-24-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Wow what a project! The data tag confirms 35 ft, I think that is the longest GM chassis out there.

I guess if there is any advantage to the "clean slate" approach, you can keep track of extra weight as you refit the interior.

Good luck, keep swinging...

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5183 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raven1962
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's a good thing I learned a bit about aircraft weight and balance, back in the early '80s... >.<

Later,
Jeff F.
Cedar Creek, TX