Forums    General Discussions    replacement window snaps ?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

replacement window snaps ?
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Cassie and Steve
posted
Hello, we are new Barth owners as of this past September, an '85. We love it, but it needs some TLC and minor work.
We are having a hard time finding replacement snaps for the front window area of our (new to us), 1985 Barth. I have looked at all of the sewing and hobby shops around here and have looked on-line, but could not find any dimensions for the snaps there. The ones for boat covers, etc are too large.
Does anyone here know where I could look? My curtains are in good shape, just needed a really good cleaning, but the bias tape that holds the snaps fell apart. They were just rotted after years of use. I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Posts: 17 | Location: west central ohio; ie: Celina | Member Since: 11-25-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Hi, Cassie and Steve. ams Welcome.

What kinda Barth ya got?

Are the snaps Baby Durable? Sometimes also called Line 20.

The site has some dimensions. Or you can post the diameter of the male stud and I can match it up with my stuff.

If they are the Baby Durable, you can reuse the female (socket) part and only need the domed caps.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Bill, thanks for responding to my post.
We have a 1985 Barth. I have looked at the snaps and there is no stamp/writing on them anywhere. They look like regular boat cover snaps, but like you said, only smaller. From the ones I compared to at the fabric stores I visited, the male stud part on my snaps are deeper. We have just tried to take one apart and no luck! They are crimped together. We have also just looked at the Baby Durable site and my hubby took the measurements. So the 'post' was D490 and H140. It lookes like we have the 'wide flange' for the post to go into, and it was approx .285 (the widest part that actually goes into the clip). Sorry we don't own a digital camera, yet! lol I hope this helps. again, thanks for your help.

Posts: 17 | Location: west central ohio; ie: Celina | Member Since: 11-25-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
You might want to try taking what you have into a shoe/leather repair store, if there's one in your area. Usually those places are small family-owned type businesses, but they really know their stuff and can get all kinds of different attachements.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello, thanks. There is a shoe repair shop about 10 miles from here. I have already tried the little family owned upholstry shops around here.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
My Line 20/Baby Durable measures .28, so that sounds like what you have, absent a picture.

Check Tandy Leather for what you need and the tool to peen them. And the cupped anvil for the domed cap.

One part can be reused if you drill out the peened-over part inside. All you will need is the part you drilled.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
When I installed some new snaps for the skirt along the bottom of the coach in my patio room, I found the exact snaps I needed at Lowes. The male part had SS screws so a small pilot hole and careful torquing put them on the coach. The outside that went on the skirt was a peened over inner shaft arangement. For this I borrowed a friends snap tool and it cut and crimped the shaft perfectly. Then came checking the connection between the two. No Dice! After ripping 2 new snaps out I decided to try the little anvil tool that came with the snaps. 2 taps with the hammer and all was well. The crimper tool wasn't flattenning the inner shaft out quite enough to let the screw head fit in the middle. Sometimes ya gotta try to do things the way the instructions say. Nah!!!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Cassie and Steve are going to let us know how things worked out.

posted Hide Post
Hi, we are still here. We've had some computer problems and then I have been ill. We do appreciate the replies and help. I think what I may do though is just send one of my snaps to the site you recommended, after talking to them first to get the correct one we need. I have to count now how many we need to see what would be the best way to go, by the piece or whatever. Then we will order our snaps and the tool to put them back onto the curtain. That will be my winter project after christmas. Steve will be working on his hovercraft, which is always his winter project. Thanks again and we do enjoy this site and the help we find. We can't wait to get our Barth out of storage and we are looking forward to next years adventures!
Cassie and Steve