Forums    General Discussions    Internet via Satellite in a 1994 Regency?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Internet via Satellite in a 1994 Regency?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I would like some recommendations as to what you all might think about using the internet via a Satellite dish in our 94 Regency. I understand wi-fi and that is great but I would like to learn all the ups and downs and ins and outs about internetting en route on the road and while stationary in park and non park settings. Thank you!

Posts: 28 | Location: So. California | Member Since: 10-29-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
We use Sprint wireless, basically it uses the cellphone towers and has been quite good! I looked into satellite but the cost was very high. Sprint is $60/month for unlimited use and has been working at our home as well. My wife will be on the internet while I am driving down the road and we have had very few areas that coverage is either slow or non-existant.

Verison also has the same type of service for similar costs.

I checked into the "Internet anywhere" concept and guess what? It is Sprint or Verison card plus a router, these guys charge upwards of $2000 for the equipment and you get what I have for a mere $60/month, I paid nothing for the card, (free with a 2 year program). If you get the equipment from these guys, you still have the $60 monthly charge. Wew only work with 1 computer BUT, they now make routers (approximately $200) that you plug in the Sprint or Verison card and it converts the wireless to WiFi and any computer in the rig will be on the internet thru WiFi. I will be getting one of these routers next year, price will come down.

These services are only available for the USA, if you plan to have coverage in Mexico or Canada, Satellite is the way to go! If you need additional info let me know.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Ed, is that $60 a month charge just for the internet usage or is that for your cell phone useage too? If not, then what do you pay for cell usage and what kind of plan/minutes do you have?.....Free roaming/long distance?, any/all info is appreciated.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
The $60 per month is just for internet, we don't have cell phone thru this service. The price is high but we are very heavy users of the internet and do a lot of up/dowm loads and very large files. There are cheaper plans with limited amounts of up/dpownloads. You can not use Skype or other VOIP thru the Sprint or Verizon wireless service because that would conflict with their cell phone service. We choose Sprint because we had heard that Verizon restricts or discourages large up/downloads. Cingular didn't have full coverage in many areas that we travel, they also use a different technology which I don't understand as well as EV-DO.

We use this service at home for our main internet service as well because with advent of EV-DO rev A (newer technology) the speeds approach DSL rates. As competition between the three (Sprint, Verizon, Cingular) gets heavier I expect plans to get cheaper and service better.

There is a discussion board for EVDO and may be found here.

EV-DO forums

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post