Forums    General Discussions    The Philosophy of Parts: "warehousing on your own"
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

The Philosophy of Parts: "warehousing on your own"
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted
We have a problem that isn't common in the RV world, namely "how do we find parts for a 30+ year old chassis?"

For the Barth world, we see the problems inherent in keeping older rigs running. I see the problems that the pre '73 guys have with finding windshields. I see the problems that the diesel chassis guys have with finding the brake parts. I tend to think that for my year, if I ever need a front control arm, there are very few RV junkyards that might have them. Apparently, the RV arms are stronger than the normal 1-ton chassis control arms, and though they might fit, performance is an issue.

Now I am beginning to understand why the "Mopar guys" would have a stash of parts. If they don't create their own personal supply of parts, no one is going to supply fenders for a '64 Valiant, or the dashboard for a '70 Charger.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to stash away windshields, headlight buckets, and the RV specific chassis parts. No one else is going to be able to supply these things in a few years.

I'd hate to have to leave my Barth in "Park" because some relatively minor part, which was at one time commonly available, is no longer available.

Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I have always kept a number of parts and supplies for my coach. For routine maintenance supplies, it is mostly the convenience of having the fluids and filters around and ready for change when I want to.

Belts and hoses have limited life whether used or not. Always good to have belts, and hoses if they are not known to be fresh.

Fortunately, Barth mostly used common chassis from major suppliers. The GM, Spartan and Gillig chassis parts are still mostly available. (The mid 80's Regencies, with their MCC chassis and 8.2 GM V8 diesels, are a glaring exception. Good luck finding anything...)

Most of the Spartan parts were actually made by other suppliers. Eaton axles, Dana axles, Bendix and Dexter brake parts, Cummins engines and Allison transmissions. Most are still mainstream. Many are used in other application. I was pleased to find that my 1995 "Spartan" radiator was in stock when needed. They were used in 06 to 16 light Volvo trucks! Since I have replaced fuel pump, water pump, hoses, radiator, starter and alternator in the Monarch, I don't carry those spares. Mostly filters and a belt.

OTOH, we have seen that GM has a tendency to manufacture most of their components. Many are still available, but many are not. The early dual tank selector valves are long gone. Early 16 inch wheel components are getting scarce. Carburetors and early fuel system components, too.

So, it would seem prudent for GM owners to survey part availability often. Any parts that appear hard to find, or those that can leave you on the side of the road should be kept on board.

Since I did a lot of running with my 86, I carried spares for hoses, belts, plugs, starter, alternator, water pump, power steering pump, fuel pump, distributor, brake pads, u-joints, fluids and filters, switches, bulbs, relays, muffler clamps and hangers. Some I used on the road. I had a spare pass windshield in the garage.

So, GM operators, I agree with Matt. Stashing parts has many advantages. Buying ahead allows favorable sourcing and pricing choices, and minimal panic when a failure does occur.
As usual, keep us all posted with good sources and prices! Thumbs Up

Have Barth, will maintain Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5193 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Windshields, spot light bulbs and many, many other parts have been inventoried. Even the infamous Barth "grab rail".

And if not used by the time I die my family can sell on eBay.
Have you ever seen the price of rare parts skyrocket on eBay - great investment.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pirate19:
Windshields, spot light bulbs and many, many other parts have been inventoried. Even the infamous Barth "grab rail".

And if not used by the time I die my family can sell on eBay.
Have you ever seen the price of rare parts skyrocket on eBay - great investment.

My children would see that as junk and throw in the dumpster. I found you can’t teach our way of thinking. They wouldn’t want to deal with it. Deadhorse wack head bang

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1386 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Good bait.
In spirit I will get to hear who says "I told you so... He was CRAZY."

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
When I sold nose, my stock of parts went with it, the idiot who bought it and let it get impounded and ultimately scrapped with all those spare parts. I asked the impound, if they would let me salvage some of that stuff and they said, not on a city impounded vehicle. So all that stuff went off to however they tore it apart. Lots of parts and upgrades destroyed.

So now 71 has to have a stockpile renewed!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2064 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post